• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! MOLD ON MY BIRTHING CAKES OR A NOOB MISTAKE? WHO CAN HELP?

silentftw

Bluelighter
I have had several fruiting cakes in the chamber for awhile now, 48 hrs. ago i saw pins and and mini fruits coming in. Today when i checked them i freaked out. It looked like mold had suddenly appeared on ALL CAKES within the past 24 hours. I started freaking out and put on latex gloves and rinsed the gloves in isopropyl alcohol (90%) before picking up the cakes to further inspect them.

To my HORROR, the cake i had just picked up a moment earlier now had MOLD EVERYWHERE. I thought to myself but how is that even possible in the span of 5 minutes>? I then realized. After rinsing the gloves
in rubbing alcohol before picking the cakes up the rubbing alcohol residue from the gloves had actually caused mycelium death? and there was never any mold to begin with? I have attached pictures below.

I am looking forward to hearing from some of you more versed growers as to
1.Is there any mold on these cakes or is it the result of the rubbing alcohol residue as I have come to realize?
2. Judging by the pictures, how much damage has been done and judging by the existing pins will I still receive a yield?
3. Other tips for future grows, I'm guessing dont use rubbing alcohol to disinfect anything? My spritzing bottle is 1 part hydrogen peroxide 3% to 10 parts distilled water.
4.Thank you

mould is usually fuzzy... this appeared shortly after you picked them up? I would guess it's oxidized psilocin.

It can be hard to discern from pictures but the blue looks to be bruising. If you ever have a moldy cake that already has pins on it all is not always lost if it is still summer time or you live in a warm climate. If you a pinning cake develops spots of trichoderma you of course want to remove it from your other cakes and isolate it. Put it inside a smaller empty pot for plants with damp perlite in the bottom just like usual and put it outside with a plastic bag very loosely placed over it so LOTS OF air flow can get inside but still maintaining humidity, you might have to mist more but trichoderma cannot exist in an aerobic environment so when it is outside like that getting a flux of constant fresh air the trich will die and the cake will continue its flush, my biggest flush when I still did cakes came from a trich infected cake. And if you have any worry about eating shrooms from a cake with trich I can assure you its fine and the mushrooms are healthy and cannot make you sick, I had all those same worries but its completely safe, large scale mushroom grows for grocery stores do not throw out fruits because of trich they still pick them and sell them so theres no issue.

My advice is to do away with cakes all together and make a shoe box with your PF cakes, its so easy man and I'll be glad to walk you through it if you have any questions. You just make cakes like you would for PF tek but instead of growing out the cakes you shred them with a cheese grater to coco coir and vermiculite and spread it in the bottom of a plastic shoe box from walmart and close the lid and your done and your box should be colonized within 10-14 days, then you pop off the lid place a plastic grocery bag over the top loosely for Fresh air exchange "FAE", pins will start to pop up within a few days and your mushrooms will grow much much bigger than cakes and your flushes will be massive in comparison. 3-4cakes per box with everything done right you want to be shooting for 30 dry grams. The most you can get from a myco quart of spawn is supposed to be around 30 grams and this method seems to yield that consistently. The best part is if you get your moisture content just right in your coco/verm mix you never ever have to mist, one of the most common mistakes with mush growing is over misting.