Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Moderate hypertension and psychedelics?

Rock1084

Greenlighter
Hi there,
I am 31 years of age and have had hypertension since my early 20s. No known causes, possibly chronic stress (work, uni etc) as it can come right down to ~120/50ish if I sit still for a while or meditate. No other cardiac risk factors (healthy diet, lifestyle). I have recently been put on 4mg of Candestartan cilexetil (ACE inhibitor) at my request for piece of mind that it is being adequately controlled.

I'm wondering if I should exercise any caution taking psychedelics (shrooms mostly, but maybe ayahuasca in the future, maybe LSD if oportunity strikes)?

What would your blood pressure be if you didnt take the medication.
Im the same age as you and I was put on amlodipine (which I quit) and my BP is between 130-140/90 normally and up to 160/100 when stressed.

After I quit the medication and also measuring (I was fed up with it all) I took some speed and psychedelics once in a while.Maybe I should try measuring while on these drugs.

Psychedelics will make your BP rise. There's a vasoconstriction effect.

It's hard to know if it'll bring you into the danger zone, tho. You'll have to try it. A good idea will be to try some a low dose and check your BP a couple times during the trip, just to see.

I do not notice any interaction between an ACE inhibitor or any other BP med and psychedelics.

Thanks for the responses.
Unmedicated during normal day to day activities it hovers between 130-150/50-65, which is a very broad range I know.
If I am sitting absolutely still for a few mins it will drop down to 120-127/50-65.

As long as there's no interactions between the medications and psychedelics then I'm comfortable with that. A temporal increase in BP while tripping doesn't worry me too much I guess, but I will measure it next time.

Second question, would the MAOI component in an ayahuasca concoction play any havoc while on meds?