• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Modafinil bioavailability?

d1nach

Bluelighter
so under the for professionals information on modafinil it says
"PROVIGIL is readily absorbed after oral administration, with peak plasma concentrations occurring at 2-4 hours. The bioavailability of PROVIGIL tablets is approximately equal to that of an aqueous suspension. The absolute oral bioavailability was not determined due to the aqueous insolubility ( < 1 mg/mL) of modafinil, which precluded intravenous administration. Food has no effect on overall PROVIGIL bioavailability; however, time to reach peak concentration (tmax) may be delayed by approximately one hour if taken with food."

Is this a joke? How could they just say well its not dissolving so lets skip bioavailability for a fda approved drug?? And how do they know eating doesnt influence bioavailability of they never measured bioavailability just because the cmax is the same? So for all I know the bioavailability could be 1% and with or without food it doesnt matter because its basically zero. Or it could be like 100 percent.

Well, absolute bioavailability is only really a control. It would be important if this medication were used via multiple ROAs or in emergency settings, but for it's indication and tablet formulation, absolute bioavailability really isn't important. In fact, the bioavailability doesn't really matter at all. What really matters is the the dose response curve and the elimination kinetics. And they said that food didn't affect overall bioavailability which means that the same amount of drug was absorbed over a longer time-span.

Even if the bioavailability was < 0.1%, who cares? What really matters is finding the dose that gets the desired effect while minimizing side effects, whether that's 1g or 1mg with 100% BA or 0.1% BA

Its because I want to know if I have the possibility of increasing the absorbsion via different routes of administration like transdermal buccal ect.

Its because I want to know if I have the possibility of increasing the absorbsion via different routes of administration like transdermal buccal ect.

Thank you!! Same here... PLUS, I just wanna know & should be able to!