• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Harm Reduction "Mobile Drug and Addiction Consultation / Testing Services" - business idea

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I've been daydreaming about something like this for awhile now, trying to refine the idea. With the opioid crisis peaking (and only getting worse) I think this idea could potentially go very far.

I'm thinking about starting a business. We all know drugs, harm reduction, addiction and addiction services can be very difficult to navigate. If you've ever been in a crisis situation and needed help or advice - that info can be quite difficult and convoluted to get. If you google pretty much anything related to drugs or addiction or crisis all you get are these bullshit for-profit rehab websites, which usually are just scummy motherfuckers and only care about making money not actually helping people.

I was thinking about maybe starting a "Consultation" service. People could call us, we show up and assess their situation and give them ALL available options, explain them and how much they cost, explain addiction, give them the help they need that maybe they can't find.

I was also thinking about making a "mobile drug testing service", where we just carry around reagent kits, test people's drugs for them and charge.. idk... $10-20 per item? (I'm curious about the legality of this).

Also maybe a service where we just hang out with you to make sure you don't OD. I know there is already a service like this called "Never Use Alone" or something.

Anyways... just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. I'm potentially looking for partners for a startup. I'm pretty serious about these ideas, I just need to assess their practicality (and legality)

It's a great idea especially the drug testing. It's hard to see how it can be profitable. Addicts going to want to pony up anything to get their gear tested?

It's a great idea especially the drug testing. It's hard to see how it can be profitable. Addicts going to want to pony up anything to get their gear tested?
Yeah that would be a side thing just in the name of harm reduction

My main profitable idea would probably be family of an addict. I'm picturing a consultation service where we come over for 1-2 hours and explain everything about addiction and every option they have. Unbiased info where we aren't making a commission if they choose rehab. Also give non rehab options. The whole picture.

I actually want to help people.

This info isn't easy to coalesce even if you spend all week searching on Google.

Noble idea. But you may wanna check out the prices of some of the testing equipment before you get too happy. And then see if you as a private citizen can actually buy the stuff. A lot of the gear is available only to law enforcement etc.

Here's a starter for ten points (might save you some time):

And that before you even start. You're in the US as far as I know? Also and as far as I know: HR initiatives are not welcome in a few States so you could easily come up against some State or Federal Law (but I'm sure I probably didn't have to tell you that but I'd already typed it so I ain't deleting it).

Last edited:
Yeah that would be a side thing just in the name of harm reduction

My main profitable idea would probably be family of an addict. I'm picturing a consultation service where we come over for 1-2 hours and explain everything about addiction and every option they have. Unbiased info where we aren't making a commission if they choose rehab. Also give non rehab options. The whole picture.

I actually want to help people.

This info isn't easy to coalesce even if you spend all week searching on Google.
Something like this could become an adjunct to services that Community Mental Health already provides. Every city now has a CMH that provides these services free of charge to anyone that is willing to walk through their doors. You have to get there of course and some refuse to take public transportation. That's where you going to them could make the difference. You could go to your CMH and talk with their people and see if they have any resources for you to piggyback on. You would have to be willing to look past their living conditions and anything else that would offend you. Things like neglected pets and children, no electricity, poor housekeeping and hygeine things that may be uncomfortable for you.

If you could put any bias aside ( and people would be willing for you to come in their house ) it would be a great service. Most addicts don't want prying eyes in their space.

Something like this could become an adjunct to services that Community Mental Health already provides. Every city now has a CMH that provides these services free of charge to anyone that is willing to walk through their doors. You have to get there of course and some refuse to take public transportation. That's where you going to them could make the difference. You could go to your CMH and talk with their people and see if they have any resources for you to piggyback on. You would have to be willing to look past their living conditions and anything else that would offend you. Things like neglected pets and children, no electricity, poor housekeeping and hygeine things that may be uncomfortable for you.

If you could put any bias aside ( and people would be willing for you to come in their house ) it would be a great service. Most addicts don't want prying eyes in their space.
Are we not supposed to be encouraging of endeavors like this? Fucking hell. In the space of two posts we've managed to put a damper on things before he's even out of the gate! :ROFLMAO:

And he's obviously not in it for the money either. I watched a documentary not too long ago about these clinics and the shit they pulled in paying commissions. I forget now what it was called but I actually had to look it up to see if it was for real. True enough. "Florida Shuffle". Big $$$. Dunno if you could pull it off nowadays as there's been some changes that side to the healthcare system no?

Are we not supposed to be encouraging of endeavors like this? Fucking hell. In the space of two posts we've managed to put a damper on things before he's even out of the gate! :ROFLMAO:

And he's obviously not in it for the money either. I watched a documentary not too long ago about these clinics and the shit they pulled in paying commissions. I forget now what it was called but I actually had to look it up to see if it was for real. True enough. "Florida Shuffle". Big $$$. Dunno if you could pull it off nowadays as there's been some changes that side to the healthcare system no?
I guess this morning I am only being the devils advocate and saying things that are based in reality. Of course it is a noble and wonderful endeavor and I would support anyones foray into it. But one has to be practical and realistic and I guess that's me today. Bite me my SA friend. xoxo

I guess this morning I am only being the devils advocate and saying things that are based in reality. Of course it is a noble and wonderful endeavor and I would support anyones foray into it. But one has to be practical and realistic and I guess that's me today. Bite me my SA friend. xoxo
Um. Oh yes. The voice of reason! ❤️

Well true enough. Better to be aware of the pitfalls and have the facts laid bare before embarking on any project huh! Saves time. And ensures that you don't waste weeks, if not months on end, dreaming about something that just cannot be done. Very philosophical post this one! Kinda stating the fucking obvious I suppose. Then again: maybe not i.e. to some this ain't so obvious.

Yeah I'm trying to make it a better experience. I'm not sure about your experience, but mine has always been absolutely horrible.

I called the mental health crisis line in Charlotte about a year and a half ago when I relapsed and was getting the boot onto the street. The only thing they do is send someone out to find you then they "assess" your eligibility. THEN, they check if there are any beds. Unless you're basically a pregnant woman active IV heroin user they won't take you without insurance.

What then? They don't give you a plan B.

I guess every state is different

But every time my experience is overwhelmingly negative