• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Mmt patients plane travel

My3sons

Bluelighter
I'm all set for my vacation pick up tomorrow along with Dr.'s letter. I'm still a little nervous that they will give me a hard time at the airport. Has anyone traveled with methadone before. Did you put it in your carry on? Any problems?

where are you at and where are you going to go to?
where i am at you need a form from the health department and not just from your doctor, but i am in germany....

Im in the US. NJ to Florida. You would think the clinic would tell me if that were the case right? Surely I am not the first person to travel! I leave bright and early Saturday so I really hope that isn't the case!

yeah don't panic. i am sure they would have told you if that were the case!

maybe you can call the airport if you are still nervous about it but i am sure it is going to be ok.

I am taking my boys to see my dad and stepmother. I really don't want to have to end up guest dosing. Its none of their business and we are staying at their house so there's no way around not telling them if something goes wrong! However, I know that the clinic doesn't really give a rats ass about the patients and I don't have all that much faith in them knowing proper travel procedure! I am thinking definitely carry on because I don't want some asshole to steal it out of checked bags.

if it's liquid methadone I imagine you'll have to use checked luggage, but I'm not sure.

When I was on methadone it was liquid, but this was before 9/11. I have no idea what airport security guidelines are like now regarding meth. A letter from the doctor should be enough, but it may have to be checked if it's liquid. Just make sure your luggage is locked good.

Check, or estimate, the volume of your usual take home dose. Look up TSA guidelines. Carry on if you can, lost luggage / spilled meds due to pressure changes in flight would really suck. If you check it, seal bottles in air tight baggies or a larger bottle to contain spills. Keep the original of the physician letter on you. You will be fine. I traveled with liquid methadone a few times post 9/11 in the US. In the future, if you can, request tablets. Sure taking fifteen 10-mg tablets is a hassle, but I made out fine on a two week trip taking twenty tabs a day (my dose was 200-mg/day!)

Never an issue.

International travel can be impossible with methadone, at best it's very difficult if foreign customs finds it. In the US - you're fine. But... Have info on the closet clinic that guest doses and know their procedural requirements ahead of your trip, just in case...

You'll be fine.

For international travelers who aren't connected (corporate execs, famous addicts, etc...) bupe is the best way to travel hassle free. Methadone is just really looked down upon in most counties outside Europe and N. America, even there it's a maze of requirements to import for single personal use, and getting caught is potentially a life sentence (Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore...)

Last flight to Malaysia we were warned before landing to ditch any drugs, even prescription of it wasn't current and all info matched passport, b/c "malaysia implements the death penalty for drug traffickers."

Last edited:
I've traveled with liquid medication fairly regularly and have never had any problems.

How long is the flight? 2 hours?. Call ahead and double check. As everyone has said, should not be a problem.

Ok. The clinic said carry on in clear ziplock with letter in it. Each dose is less than the liquid amount you're not allowed to travel with. It would just really suck if they give me a problem. It would be pretty embarrassing. Not to mention it would mess my whole trip up! None of their business.

^ I would also call the airline, or tsa just to get 100% clarification. But as most of the previous posters have indicated, if it's a domestic flight, you should be fine!

From the TSA website.
Inform the TSA OfficerInform the TSA officer that you have medically necessary liquids and/or medications and separate them from other belongings before screening begins. Also declare accessories associated with your liquid medication such as freezer packs, IV bags, pumps and syringes. Labeling these items can help facilitate the screening process.
3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption
You may bring medically necessary liquids, medications and creams in excess of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in your carry-on bag. Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag.
So you should be good to go. Just make sure they're in the original viles, clearly marked and have a note from a docto handy.

I've done it before myself OP. Granted my experience was about 3 years ago, so things easily could've changed, but I didn't have any issues. There are exceptions to certain rules based upon things like, in this instance, medical necessity. You should be totally fine. Definitely talk to a supervisor if you get hassled for some reason at security.

It's your medication.... Bring it with you carry on or checked and keep it buried in either with the doctors note in clear view with it. I'd recommend carry on actually as if anyone sees it and asks you can clearly explain it is your opioid replacement therapy medication prescribed to you and no one else that you are keeping with you to make sure it does not get diverted by means of someone stealing it so that you don't lose the medication that is necessary for your well being your doctor provided you as the note states because some junkie wants their fix.

I'm definitely bringing it carry on. No one needs to think they hit the jackpot at my expense! I had a nice pair of sunglasses get stolen out of my checked suitcase so it does happen!

Methadone made it through without a hitch or question and my sunblock wasn't so lucky and had to be tossed! Unreal!