• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Mixing opiates with benzos.

Daddydopedick

Bluelighter
I know this will have been posted a lot of times not just here, but in many places. I just have a specific set of questions is all.

I'm going to be smoking some H after being on buprenorphine. I was on 12mg/day for a while, then I slowly tapered and I've been on 2mg/day for quite some time now, maybe about 2 months, prior to that I was on 4mg/day and that was for a few months. Tbf, idk what my tolerance will be like. I smoked H for less than a year when I got into it, I relapsed once for about a week and this is my third relapse.

I also have a large benzo tolerance, I can take 50mg+ of Xanax without turning into a zombie or falling asleep. I used to take raw Alprazolam powder when I was younger so I think I have a permanent tolerance to a degree, if such a thing exists😂

Anyway, I've been on Xanax for a while and slowly going down whilst taking bupe. For the past 2 weeks or so, I've just been using 10mg Valium and take 1-3mg of Xanax whenever I can't sleep or feel really bad (even then, that much doesn't help me sleep, I need closer to 10mg to be able to help me fall asleep on Xanax or sometimes more.)

Anyway, back to the point, I'll be smoking some H and it's been a while. I do not IV, never have and never plan to. I use DXM and tonic to potentiate the drug but with the stuff that I get being so strong, I don't think I'll even need to use potentiators to start with, not at first. I don't want to dive into the deep end and pass out, I nearly died once doing that.

My main questions are; would I be okay taking a bar of Xanax whilst I'm high on H, after the peak of the high has faded or completely after the high? Yes, I know the risks and why it can/does kill people, but opiates keep me awake and alert, unless I'm bobbing or it makes me pass out...which has only ever happened in the past, my tolerance is too high atm. Also, if I were nodding, I wouldn't need any Xanax as I'd feel fine. I just get anxiety taking opiates sometimes (if I don't get super high), especially after the main high, between the high and the come down & the come down. When the dose of H has subsided a substantial anlunt, would I be okay taking about 2-4mg of Xanax to help me sleep? (I won't be falling asleep as taking opiates keep me awake.)

Or, say I smoked some H at 8pm, would I be alright using Xanax at midnight to help me fall asleep as H keeps me up? I know about respritory failure, but I'm talking well after I've actually smoked the stuff in this instance.

My thoughts are that if the high is mostly or completely over, it's not like I'm directly combining the two drugs. Also, I have a high tolerance to both substances. Lastly, I aren't an IV user.

The only instance I would mix Xanax with H whilst the high is strong is due to a panic attack but even then, if I'm in a state where I'm having a panic attack, I aren't going to fall asleep. I aren't the sort to sleep easily, I drank almost a litre of Vodka once and took 20mg of Xanax and I still couldn't sleep at all, was awful☠️ It takes a fucking lot for me to fall asleep so I'm very confident I aren't going to accidentally fall asleep if I used Xanax whilst high on H....something I probs wouldn't need to do anyway and would only do if I was experiencing high levels of anxiety; a state in which I won't be falling asleep.

There the acception that I've nodded a lot in the past when I first had H and H has caused me to pass out when I underestimated how strong it was and underestimated how well DXM works, but I know that now.

In a nutshell, is there anything else for me to worry about taking these two drugs other than them causing me to pass out and causing respritory failure? I know that won't happen for many reasons and also know how to avoid it; I was wondering if it can harm you in other ways.

In a bigger nutshell, how long should I wait before using Xanax after smoking H? This post is way too long, my ADHD causes me to repeat myself, type out long shit and not always be able to structure things very well.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated (advise other than "don't combine them because respiratory failure"....because I know about that....my questions are more specific and I aren't an example of someone naïve to both drugs simply thinking about mixing them for the fun of it.)

If anybody made it through all this, thanks😂☠️👍

In the spirit of harm reduction, telling someone when they can and cant take a potent benzo like xanax when a potent opiate is involved is incredibly difficult. I wouldn't consider difficulty sleeping or opiates being stimulating a strong enough reason to justify adding Xanax into the mix. Even when tolerance is in play, the fact that making sound decisions isn't particularly easy when on either of these substances leads me to the conclusion that you're still never safe mixing the two. So i would wait till the h is *completely* out of the equation before taking Xanax and vis versa.

I mix them all the time but I would be cautious since your opiate tolerance is probably back down super low. Take a tiny sliver once you feel like you need it. Stopping benzodiazepines cold can lead to seizures. I would be more concerned about not taking the benzo then od

I mix them for the high...but your tolerance is so high that you taking 2mg Xanax in H is pointless as it won't add to the high at all. if you're not an opioid user...your benzo will distract from the high

I know this will have been posted a lot of times not just here, but in many places. I just have a specific set of questions is all.

I'm going to be smoking some H after being on buprenorphine. I was on 12mg/day for a while, then I slowly tapered and I've been on 2mg/day for quite some time now, maybe about 2 months, prior to that I was on 4mg/day and that was for a few months. Tbf, idk what my tolerance will be like. I smoked H for less than a year when I got into it, I relapsed once for about a week and this is my third relapse.

I also have a large benzo tolerance, I can take 50mg+ of Xanax without turning into a zombie or falling asleep. I used to take raw Alprazolam powder when I was younger so I think I have a permanent tolerance to a degree, if such a thing exists😂

Anyway, I've been on Xanax for a while and slowly going down whilst taking bupe. For the past 2 weeks or so, I've just been using 10mg Valium and take 1-3mg of Xanax whenever I can't sleep or feel really bad (even then, that much doesn't help me sleep, I need closer to 10mg to be able to help me fall asleep on Xanax or sometimes more.)

Anyway, back to the point, I'll be smoking some H and it's been a while. I do not IV, never have and never plan to. I use DXM and tonic to potentiate the drug but with the stuff that I get being so strong, I don't think I'll even need to use potentiators to start with, not at first. I don't want to dive into the deep end and pass out, I nearly died once doing that.

My main questions are; would I be okay taking a bar of Xanax whilst I'm high on H, after the peak of the high has faded or completely after the high? Yes, I know the risks and why it can/does kill people, but opiates keep me awake and alert, unless I'm bobbing or it makes me pass out...which has only ever happened in the past, my tolerance is too high atm. Also, if I were nodding, I wouldn't need any Xanax as I'd feel fine. I just get anxiety taking opiates sometimes (if I don't get super high), especially after the main high, between the high and the come down & the come down. When the dose of H has subsided a substantial anlunt, would I be okay taking about 2-4mg of Xanax to help me sleep? (I won't be falling asleep as taking opiates keep me awake.)

Or, say I smoked some H at 8pm, would I be alright using Xanax at midnight to help me fall asleep as H keeps me up? I know about respritory failure, but I'm talking well after I've actually smoked the stuff in this instance.

My thoughts are that if the high is mostly or completely over, it's not like I'm directly combining the two drugs. Also, I have a high tolerance to both substances. Lastly, I aren't an IV user.

The only instance I would mix Xanax with H whilst the high is strong is due to a panic attack but even then, if I'm in a state where I'm having a panic attack, I aren't going to fall asleep. I aren't the sort to sleep easily, I drank almost a litre of Vodka once and took 20mg of Xanax and I still couldn't sleep at all, was awful☠️ It takes a fucking lot for me to fall asleep so I'm very confident I aren't going to accidentally fall asleep if I used Xanax whilst high on H....something I probs wouldn't need to do anyway and would only do if I was experiencing high levels of anxiety; a state in which I won't be falling asleep.

There the acception that I've nodded a lot in the past when I first had H and H has caused me to pass out when I underestimated how strong it was and underestimated how well DXM works, but I know that now.

In a nutshell, is there anything else for me to worry about taking these two drugs other than them causing me to pass out and causing respritory failure? I know that won't happen for many reasons and also know how to avoid it; I was wondering if it can harm you in other ways.

In a bigger nutshell, how long should I wait before using Xanax after smoking H? This post is way too long, my ADHD causes me to repeat myself, type out long shit and not always be able to structure things very well.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated (advise other than "don't combine them because respiratory failure"....because I know about that....my questions are more specific and I aren't an example of someone naïve to both drugs simply thinking about mixing them for the fun of it.)

The way I see it, you can take a huge dose of benzos before smoking h and risk your life what in all likelyhood will be a very mediocre high. You're at the most vulnernerable time, remember most addicts die while relapsing. Your tolerance may be low enough for what you'd think is a reasonable dose will kill you, only way to find out is doing it so I wouldn't try to find out.
Also, buprenorphine accumulates and dude, this is how people die. You smoke a little, feel nothing, then more, then more and then you OD since at huge dosages of h, buprenorphine stops protecting you and adds to the heroin instead of blocking it. I know I'm being a asshole but this is the worst time to relapse, so please don't die, it would really suck. In your situation fentanyl is probably safer than heroin...

The way I see it, you can take a huge dose of benzos before smoking h and risk your life what in all likelyhood will be a very mediocre high. You're at the most vulnernerable time, remember most addicts die while relapsing. Your tolerance may be low enough for what you'd think is a reasonable dose will kill you, only way to find out is doing it so I wouldn't try to find out.
Also, buprenorphine accumulates and dude, this is how people die. You smoke a little, feel nothing, then more, then more and then you OD since at huge dosages of h, buprenorphine stops protecting you and adds to the heroin instead of blocking it. I know I'm being a asshole but this is the worst time to relapse, so please don't die, it would really suck. In your situation fentanyl is probably safer than heroin...
Why do you say that fentanyl is safer than Heroin?

Thanks for the concern and info bro. I've actually been through this before and I am going to take it carefully. I aren't going to use any potentiators to start with and take low doses. Keep sat upright with pillows behind me. Keep my Naloxone on standby.

I just mainly mean mean whether Xanax would be safe to take after the high had diminished and I want to sleep.

I mix them all the time but I would be cautious since your opiate tolerance is probably back down super low. Take a tiny sliver once you feel like you need it. Stopping benzodiazepines cold can lead to seizures. I would be more concerned about not taking the benzo then od
You have a point. I'd be taking at least 10mg valium each night. I'm not so much talking about mixing the two drugs to get a high. It's more for taking Xanax after the high has diminished and I want to sleep. Would the be risk there or is the main risk when the H high is as it's peak?

In the spirit of harm reduction, telling someone when they can and cant take a potent benzo like xanax when a potent opiate is involved is incredibly difficult. I wouldn't consider difficulty sleeping or opiates being stimulating a strong enough reason to justify adding Xanax into the mix. Even when tolerance is in play, the fact that making sound decisions isn't particularly easy when on either of these substances leads me to the conclusion that you're still never safe mixing the two. So i would wait till the h is *completely* out of the equation before taking Xanax and vis versa.
Thanks dude the info dude, this is what I mainly had planned anyway! Was going to take the Xanax later on hours after smoking the H. Not taking about straight up mixing the two....even then, I'd likely be fine, by tolerance to both is high.

I have been taking 2mg sub a long time and am getting hold of strong H today. Been 4-5 days off subs now. I wonder what my tolerance will be like. Either way, I'll be taking it easy whilst I find this out lol.

I'm talking more about taking benzos way after the opiate high. Also, I've been off subs for about 5-6 days now so my receptors won't be blocked. Bare in mind I was at 2mg. If there's any bupe still there, it'll be so little it'll actually potentiate it if anything lol.

I've relapsed before though. I plan on starting small and finding my footing. Also, I only smoke H, I don't IV....big difference there!

I've had seizures from benzos before so I aren't about to make that mistake again. Another reason I'm asking this question. I sorta need to be taking em at the same time (but not necessarily at the same time & together.)

And hmm, that's weird. You've mentioned how my tolerance is probably back down low whilst another has said it'll be super high.

Either way, I have plenty of DXM to potentiate (if needed, won't use it right off the bat.)

I'll let you know how it goes, my stuff should arrive today👍

I've had seizures from benzos before so I aren't about to make that mistake again. Another reason I'm asking this question. I sorta need to be taking em at the same time (but not necessarily at the same time & together.)

And hmm, that's weird. You've mentioned how my tolerance is probably back down low whilst another has said it'll be super high.

Either way, I have plenty of DXM to potentiate (if needed, won't use it right off the bat.)

I'll let you know how it goes, my stuff should arrive today👍
Ok from my understanding of your message correct me if I’m wrong aI just woke up
youre about to smoke H for the first time in a while after tapering off suboxone
Therefore heroin tolerance is low

your benzo tolerance on the other hand sounds like it is high I would wait until the euphoria peak as waned and take the smallest amount you can take more in a hour if you can’t fall asleep

the treat of seizures is real and in people who have an extremely high benzo tolerance a much higher threat then od

For safety’s sake I’m not going to elaborate on the unsafe things I’ve done mix master wise but my experience has been if you have a high benzo tolerance and a high opioid tolerance you have to be trying hard to make a lethal mix and I’m tiny 4’11 and 103lbs my liver should be left to science lol

It sounds like there is a 50/50 chance of OD’ing. So I would suggest doing with an alert person in your company who you won’t traumatize if you do OD and has Naloxone and a phone for 911 in their possession. Don’t do it alone.

Ok from my understanding of your message correct me if I’m wrong aI just woke up
youre about to smoke H for the first time in a while after tapering off suboxone

your benzo tolerance on the other hand sounds like it is high I would wait until the euphoria peak as waned and take the smallest amount you can take more in a hour if you can’t fall asleep

the treat of seizures is real and in people who have an extremely high benzo tolerance a much higher threat then od

For safety’s sake I’m not going to elaborate on the unsafe things I’ve done mix master wise but my experience has been if you have a high benzo tolerance and a high opioid tolerance you have to be trying hard to make a lethal mix and I’m tiny 4’11 and 103lbs my liver should be left to science lol
Update:

I tapered off the subs (was on 2mg for about 2 weeks, then 1mg for a week, then ½mg for a week then after 5 days I used.

I had to use DXM to get anything from it. Bare in mind, I aren't an IV user, only ever smoke it. It was just a treat, I'm already back on subs (I have a huge stockpile so I'm always good on that front.)

But yeah, I got some very strong stuff from the DW that has hit me hard in the past and this time the quality seemed the same but it just didn't hit me the same. Yeah, it hit me, but I wasn't fucked up. I need potentiators to help me get the desired high.

I did mix them but not together. I'd have maximum 2mg bar of Xanax either 2+ hours before or if it was after smoking it'd be 1+ hours at least.

I was fine, didn't end up OD'ing. I nodded due to using DXM and ended up in and out of consciousness but I didn't OD.

Quick question though, what are signs I am OD'ing? I know if I was there's not much I could do but are there any signs I need to look out for which would warrant using Naloxone? (In which I have , I have a syringe with 5 doses in it.)

Unfortunately I don't have anybody that could accompany me doing this sorta stuff. I have about 1 or 2 friends and those friends don't wanna do/be around that sorta stuff, not to mention I hardly see them anyway.

What I do is I make sure I'm propped up on my bed with my back to the corner do if I did go unconscious, I wouldn't fall back and choke. That's one thing I know commonly leads to OD'ing on the stuff so I make sure I'm not in a position where I can fall back flat on my back.

But yeah, it was all good. I didn't mix them both together at the same time but I had them both in my system at the same time and I was fine.

Also, doesn't bupe raise your tolerance? I would have thought that even if I had tapered off bupe, that my tolerance would still be reasonably high due to the bupe? I know it's a partial agonist, does that have anything to do with why after tapering, my tolerance would be low despite me having recently tapered with bupe?

Thanks for all the info though, appreciate it 👍

See my update I just posted if you wish, details about my experience are there.

However, just as question. I was under the impression that subs kept up your tolerance? Like, I did slowly taper and I was on ½mg a week & stopped for 5 days before smoking any H.

However, wouldn't the bupe I've been taking have been keeping my tolerance up? That's the impression I've always had. I know it's a partial agonist but it's still a strong opiate with a high affinity for the opioid u receptors?

Would the bupe not have any effect on my tolerance after I had tapered and not had H in a while? I always thought it did but of course, this is why I'm asking.

I figured my tolerance would still be pretty high as both bupe and H are opiates, even if one is a partial agonist. Or, is the fact it's a partial agonist the reason that my tolerance to H will have lowered after tapering off it?

Any insight into this would be appreciate, thanks👍

I just went and did a little research below is a study that shows yes suboxone will lead to opioid tolerance specifically heroin

“Though generally characterized as a mixed agonist and antagonist at μ-opioid receptors, buprenorphine also has high affinity for κ-opioid receptors. Binding studies in Chinese hamster ovary cells transfected with opioid receptors and in cell membranes prepared from guinea pig caudate have revealed similar Ki values of buprenorphine at μ- and κ-opioid receptors (Romero et al., 1999; Huang et al., 2001). Unlike its mixed actions at μ-opioid receptor, buprenorphine acts only as an antagonist at κ-opioid receptors, both in vitro and in vivo (Leander, 1987, 1988; Romero et al., 1999; Huang et al., 2001). However, little attention has focused on the κ-opioid antagonist effects of buprenorphine and the question of how its κ-opioid actions might be altered during chronic treatment with buprenorphine has received still less attention.”

The present studies were conducted to further evaluate the effects of chronically administered buprenorphine in nonhuman primates. Initially, the antagonist effects of acutely administered buprenorphine were determined when given in combination with μ- and κ-opioid agonists. Subsequently, the effects of μ- and κ-opioid agonists, as well as naltrexone, were studied in monkeys receiving daily injections of an effective antagonist dose of buprenorphine (0.32 mg/kg). Results indicate that acute injections of buprenorphine antagonized the response rate-decreasing effects of the μ-opioid agonist levorphanol and the κ-opioid agonist trans-(−)-3,4-dichloro-N-methyl-N-[2-(1-pyrrolidinyl)cyclohexyl]benzeneacetamide (U50,488). Daily treatment with 0.32 mg/kg buprenorphine continued to antagonize the response rate-decreasing effects of levorphanol and U50,488 and produced an even greater antagonism of the response rate-decreasing effects of heroin. In addition, naltrexone had profound response rate-decreasing effects during the course of daily buprenorphine treatment.

🙉 Overall, these results suggest that daily buprenorphine treatment is able to produce both μ-opioid receptor tolerance and opioid dependence in rhesus monkeys. 🙈 🙉 🙊

In untreated monkeys, 0.01 to 0.32 mg/kg heroin dose-dependently decreased response rates, with a mean ED50 value of 0.08 ± 0.03 mg/kg. 🙉 🙊 The rate-decreasing effects of heroin were significantly attenuated in monkeys receiving 0.32 mg/kg buprenorphine daily, with the position of the heroin dose-effect function dependent on the length of time after buprenorphine treatment (Fig. 3). In sessions conducted 10 min after the daily buprenorphine injection, doses of heroin up to 3.2 mg/kg had no response rate-decreasing effects. Response rate-decreasing effects of heroin emerged again at 24 and 48 h after the daily injection of buprenorphine, and the dose-effect function was shifted approximately 10-fold to the right of the baseline heroin dose-effect function at both time points. ED50values for heroin at 24 and 48 h after buprenorphine were significantly different from baseline determinations (F3,2 = 30.73; p = 0.0005), and dose-ratio values for heroin were, respectively, 11.0 ± 1.1 and 6.9 ± 1.2 at the two time points. Redetermination of the effects of heroin 2 weeks after terminating daily injections of buprenorphine showed that the prechronic effects of heroin were fully recovered.