• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mixing Nitrous Oxide with Benzos. Tolerance question.

Mustang5.0

Greenlighter
Hi guys.

Im having a dental procedure done on the 22 of September and I have really high anxiety. The doctor said I could have the laughing gas during the procedure but I had a question he wasn't quite sure on. I asked him about cross tolerance with Benzos and if that was something that was possible. He said he wasn't really familiar with that but knows it's safe.

So that's what is concerning me. I have a very high Benzo tolerance. I could take 10MG of Klonopin and it wouldn't make me feel anything. I've been on 3MG daily for 3 years now. My question is this. Will the gas have any cross tolerance and possibly not affect me? I've tried google and looking up the way it works but I can't get enough info to paint a clear picture. Some seems to indicate that it affects the gaba receptors but that it also does other stuff to calm you. But again I can't find much concrete info. Or atleast info I understand lol. If the gas doesn't work I won't be able to do the procedure.

Im also on gabapentin

Can anyone shed some light or give me their opinion on my situation?

I can't tell you the science behind it but I can tell you from personal experience I was lit up on nitrous and was on clonazepam for years. In fact it was the first time I actually understood why people liked it. I think despite your benzo script you will have no issue going in for your procedure provided it's kept at a sufficient level. Luckily it can be instantly adjusted either way.

I can't tell you the science behind it but I can tell you from personal experience I was lit up on nitrous and was on clonazepam for years. In fact it was the first time I actually understood why people liked it. I think despite your benzo script you will have no issue going in for your procedure provided it's kept at a sufficient level. Luckily it can be instantly adjusted either way.
Thank you man. Could you please describe what the gas feels like? Also what dose of Klonopin were you on?
Im super nervous about needles and drilling in my mouth.

I really hope hope the gas doesn't freak me out lol

It was nothing-like breathing in slightly cool, damp air from a mask that fit over my nose and mouth. The tech left me for maybe 3 minutes to take deep breaths. It got me so euphoric when they came to check on me I said "I'm great-holding my breath just like you asked me to do" and he was like "what?!?". Busted out laughing. They were setting a catheter for the twilight sedation and I kept laughing and telling the doc to not fuck it up. Woke up with my mouth packed with gauze, high fiving people in the post-op area. You shouldn't worry. I was on 0.5mg twice a day which later was upped to 1mg at night. Clonazepam is a mild benzo for me though and whether I took less or massive amounts it all was about the same. Hope this helps. Good luck with your procedure. I recommend getting post op beverages now-for me solid food was not enticing for a while and not recommended either.

Thanks again!

Although I hope there is someone else here that can tell me their experience with being on a high dose, or just their opinion in general

It was nothing-like breathing in slightly cool, damp air from a mask that fit over my nose and mouth. The tech left me for maybe 3 minutes to take deep breaths. It got me so euphoric when they came to check on me I said "I'm great-holding my breath just like you asked me to do" and he was like "what?!?". Busted out laughing. They were setting a catheter for the twilight sedation and I kept laughing and telling the doc to not fuck it up. Woke up with my mouth packed with gauze, high fiving people in the post-op area. You shouldn't worry. I was on 0.5mg twice a day which later was upped to 1mg at night. Clonazepam is a mild benzo for me though and whether I took less or massive amounts it all was about the same. Hope this helps. Good luck with your procedure. I recommend getting post op beverages now-for me solid food was not enticing for a while and not recommended either.

wait. When you said the stuff about food what did you mean? Did the gas make you feel nauseous?

No-the dental procedure called for no food. I had my wisdom teeth extracted.

No-the dental procedure called for no food. I had my wisdom teeth extracted.
Hey there.
i hope you don't mind me giving an update but I had my procedure. I got through it just fine but they cranked the gas up to maximum level and unfortunately I felt absolutely nothing. I think I must have built a very high tolerance to Benzos.

Oh well.

I had a dentist tell me that once too but it was obvious the had lied after I had the surgeon administer it for the different procedure. It's good you didn't feel pain but its doubtful they had it up as high as it would go if it only didn't get and euphoria out of it. Glad it went well otherwise and I appreciate the update!

Hey there.
i hope you don't mind me giving an update but I had my procedure. I got through it just fine but they cranked the gas up to maximum level and unfortunately I felt absolutely nothing. I think I must have built a very high tolerance to Benzos.

Oh well.

you would still feel the nos even if you had a mammoth tolerance to benzos, because they aren't cross tolerant?
sounds like your dentist mugged you off

I had a dentist tell me that once too but it was obvious the had lied after I had the surgeon administer it for the different procedure. It's good you didn't feel pain but its doubtful they had it up as high as it would go if it only didn't get and euphoria out of it. Glad it went well otherwise and I appreciate the update!

Well he had the gauge set to 65% nitrous and 35% oxygen and he said he couldn't go any higher at all. And absolutely nothing from it. Very weird. He treats me differently than most patients because he's actually a close family friend lol.

you would still feel the nos even if you had a mammoth tolerance to benzos, because they aren't cross tolerant?
sounds like your dentist mugged you off
Well apparently another dentist he talked to said that it does affect the GABA receptors quite heavily. I'm also on Gabapentin so I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it. Kinda random but ever since being on gabapentin my tolerance for opiates has increased... So I wonder if that drug affects stuff as well?

And also the other dentist said that nitrous just plain doesn't work for some people. He said about 50% of the patients he has feel absolutely nothing and even he himself feels nothing on the drug.

So in his practice he stopped using it and got the credentials to be able to use IV Versed and stuff.

I know this probably sounds naive to a stranger but this dentist wouldn't mug me off. He's very close to my family and me.

Maybe it wasn't enough for your tolerance level perhaps? Or his gauges are inaccurate (not likely but you never know). Guess the next time you need it you can compare them. It took me a few times before I realized I just wasn't a given sufficient amount prior. Nothing agaI at your dentist friend-maybe your metabolism of it is just atypical.