• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Missouri mother attacks son's alleged heroin supplier with a bat

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
A Missouri mother is facing charges, but drawing sympathy, for attacking with a baseball bat a man she believed was supplying her teenage son with heroin.

Sherrie Gavan of Imperial, near St. Louis, was arraigned Monday on charges of third-degree assault. The judge refused to dismiss the case.

Gavan told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that she tried everything to protect her son, Clayton, confiscating his cellphone, drug testing him frequently, even sending him to live with relatives and attend a different high school. When those efforts failed, she drove to the home of 21-year-old Joshua Loyd, whom she believed supplied the drugs, and struck him with an aluminum bat.

"I don't know if I can say that what I did was right," she said. "But it was the only thing I could do in the moment."

A Facebook support page, "Stand with Sherrie Gavan," sprang up anonymously and has generated nearly 350 "likes." Several people held signs outside the Jefferson County courtroom on Monday in support of Gavan.

"I think it's ridiculous," said Nicole Vaporean, 20, of House Springs. "The police should have done more."

Jefferson County Sheriff Glenn Boyer said he understands Gavan's frustration but that police can't ignore her crime.

"How can we as law enforcement turn our backs on someone who has been assaulted?" he said. "I understand her intentions, but we have laws."

Gavan said she learned in September through text messages on her 18-year-old son's phone that he was using heroin. She turned the messages over to police but said none of the drug dealers have been charged.

She sent Clayton to live with a relative to get him away from friends who were using, but he relapsed.

Loyd, one of his friends, called him four times within 21 minutes in December. That night, Gavan and her husband, Bryan, went to confront Loyd, but were turned away by Loyd's father, Steve.

The next day, Sherrie Gavan took Clayton with her to the restaurant she manages and saw Joshua Loyd pull into the parking lot, she said.

"I felt like they were hunting my son down," she said.

Gavan watched Loyd drive away then left her son at the restaurant and drove to the Loyds' home. She pulled up as Joshua Loyd was getting out of his car. Gavan, 4-foot-11 and 115 pounds, told him to leave her son alone.

Gavan said she reached for her bat when she saw Loyd reach inside his car. "He had something in his hand," she said. "I didn't know what it was."

She used the bat to strike Loyd twice in the elbow.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/13/3486936/missouri-mother-attacks-sons-alleged.html#storylink=cpy

^ The dealers don't give a fuck who you are, they'll sell dope to your mama if she wanted

Hopefully this woman goes to jail. If it wasn't for the random dude that got assaulted, I think the kid would've gotten heroin some other way. Heroin is fairly habit forming and as a result, this kid isn't going to give up on buying it if he can't get from this one dude. I assume most people that are dependent on heroin would rather find heroin than just give up cause their mom attacked their dealer.

And as far as none of them getting charged, its not like they wouldn't clean house if that shitstorm happened. They don't deserved to get charged anyway because as much as I don't like the court system, I understand that what these guys do is illegal but at the same time, they wouldn't have gotten caught fair and square, imo. If the police showed up and decided to go after them and ignore the assault, that would be messed up.

This woman deserves whatever trouble she gets.

I think an 18 year old should understand the dangers of street heroin use maybe not quite like an older heroin addict but they should still understand that heroin isn't something that should be taken lightly.

"I felt like they were hunting my son down," she said.
and now you've hunted another person's son down. great fucking job.

i don't think she deserves prison. i know she was trying to do the right thing.

but jesus! assaulting someone with a baseball bat is a violent crime and it was premeditated. the person she attacked only dealt to consenting people, he commited nonviolent crimes. IF i were to look at this through the perspective of "punishment" (something i don't think we should ever do in the criminal justice system), she should go to prison a lot longer than any drug dealer. AKA, many years.
A Facebook support page, "Stand with Sherrie Gavan," sprang up anonymously and has generated nearly 350 "likes." Several people held signs outside the Jefferson County courtroom on Monday in support of Gavan.

"I think it's ridiculous," said Nicole Vaporean, 20, of House Springs. "The police should have done more."
america, land of hypocritical hyenas out for blood.

Well, if it was legal, you would probably have to be 21 to purchase it but like alcohol, if you want it, you can get it at any age.

"I felt like they were hunting my son down" jesus fucking christ woman are you retarded. It is the other way around your son is out hunting down dealers to get his fix. Drug dealers would not exist if people didn't want to do drugs. Parents need to stop blaming others for their childs poor choices.

parents secretly blame themselves, and this leads to very dangerous anti-drug delusions, including supporting further incarceration of drug users like their children.

parents secretly blame themselves, and this leads to very dangerous anti-drug delusions, including supporting further incarceration of drug users like their children.

I'd say this is a huge factor. Inside, they blame themselves, but they don't admit it publicly, so they project that and their sense of hopelessness outward into hatred and blame directed towards other people in their child's life, usually a friend/partner who they use with, but sometimes a dealer too.

It's very hard for parents with a teenage child to come to terms with the fact that their child is starting to make their own choices, bad ones as well as good ones. So they blame themselves, or other people.

Hopefully she get punished to the full extent of the law. Assault is assault.

Sounds like something my mother would do :\ she wanted to kick my one friend's ass for giving my sister pot.... Smh. She would kick the dealer's ass and mine as well |:

^ Funny that the ass-kicking would likely hurt you far more than the weed ever would.

Reading things like this make me want to stop living. -.-

lets solve a non violent crime, by using violence. Stupid bitch.

^ That is what the war on drugs is all about.
It is essential that we spread the word - drugs are non-violent. The war on drugs is violent.