• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Missed heroin shot question

TheHwheel

Greenlighter
Hey does anyone know why when you do a fat shot of heroin and you don’t miss yet (shot in my hand near my knuckle) your injection site still swells up and becomes red along with scattered out red swelling?? Why does this happen? And what is it called?? I tried to upload a picture along with it but wasn’t able too but if you’ve shot heroin I’m sure you know what it looks like..

The hands and feet seem to be susceptible to this because of the thin skin and lack of fat in these areas.

I always had a very difficult time trying to hit the veins in my hands and feets. It hurts like hell too. Many of the veins in my feet that I tried to hit I was never actually able to use. Some of them have disappeared permanently. I cringe abit when i think of all the little veins I tried to hit, like ones on the sides of my finger. I still wince when I think of how painful some of those were, its like you have to stick the needle through a bed of nerve endings in order hit those veins. I'm glad I stopped that stuff a long time ago. If you've run out of veins (like I did) maybe you should consider methadone, it worked for me 🤷🏿‍♂️

If you are unable to hit your shots anymore and you've resorted to the more risky veins it may well be past time to consider maintenance therapy. It is a life saver.

Yes you’re right and I know this unfortunately I had just gotten out of rehab almost a month prior to this and got into and 18 wheeler accident and became stagnant causing depression and then relapse. I’m an over 10+ year addict now and know I need to stop fast before my life is over.

And to the other comment yes I’ve had to use veins in my hands because all other veins are gone now. I tie off before I hit so that helps make the veins on top of my hands pop so I don’t have to use underside however I have to make sure they are new rigs otherwise it does become very painful and unfortunately I don’t have any methadone clinics in my area.

Another question after a shot of the area becomes itchy that’s a pretty sure sign you’ve missed the shot correct?

Yes you’re right and I know this unfortunately I had just gotten out of rehab almost a month prior to this and got into and 18 wheeler accident and became stagnant causing depression and then relapse. I’m an over 10+ year addict now and know I need to stop fast before my life is over.

And to the other comment yes I’ve had to use veins in my hands because all other veins are gone now. I tie off before I hit so that helps make the veins on top of my hands pop so I don’t have to use underside however I have to make sure they are new rigs otherwise it does become very painful and unfortunately I don’t have any methadone clinics in my area.

Another question after a shot of the area becomes itchy that’s a pretty sure sign you’ve missed the shot correct?
How about Suboxone? Does anyone prescribe Suboxone in your area? Your arms are getting red and swelling because your body is telling you that you are literally killing yourself continuing to shoot. The damage already done is done, make a transition off of heroin, even if only for a while, it will be the start of a really good harm reduction habit.

How about Suboxone? Does anyone prescribe Suboxone in your area? Your arms are getting red and swelling because your body is telling you that you are literally killing yourself continuing to shoot. The damage already done is done, make a transition off of heroin, even if only for a while, it will be the start of a really good harm reduction habit.
I wish it was that easy unfortunately for me and I’m sure many others. Getting sober is a battle I can’t seem to win as I can’t afford rehab and with all the felonies on my record for being an addict for so long has fucked me in the job department…