• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Mirtazapine - welcome to obesity

FatBellyWhipSlay

Bluelighter
So i have been on 30mg of Mirtazapine for 4 weeks now, whilst its helped me with my sleep and depression but boy have I put some weight on already!

Its like I have this constant craving for food, like CONSTANT, i literally eat all day/night. I just tucked away a whole family size melton mowbray pork pie with some picallili and i still want more

with christmas coming up and all the food and rink on tap I am worried i am going to pile the pounds on
does anyone know of anything I can do to counteract that constant hunger craving ?

its crazy its worse than the minchies you get with weed

anyway im off to the shop to get some ground beef for some homemade smash burgers, starving already

ill end up dying on the toilet of heart attack like elvis at this rate

• Heart
Reactions: CFC
I blew up to 274lbs. on mirtazapine, and it eventually stopped working for insomnia or depression at any dose. A useful part of your kit, but ime not a good option long term because of that physical health trade off and lack of long term efficacy.

Aside from switching meds, the only tactic I can suggest is an active effort at mindfulness when these cravings strike. Stop, just ask yourself - am I really hungry? I know I take this medication, and that it can cause this urge to eat. But does my BODY feel hungry, or just my mind?

I know it sounds simple, but it's amazing really. If I can't work it that way, sometimes just munch out to a healthier option? Sweet tooth, tear into a bag of apples instead of a pie, e.g.

When I went on mirtazapine back in 2011, I became absolutely ravenous and my weight ballooned up from 150-200 lbs. in seemingly no time.

In addition to 3 or 4 gigantic meals a day with snacks in between, I would polish off a half-gallon of ice cream every night before bed.

Thankfully though, this subsided after about 3 months and I've been able to maintain a healthy weight ever since. I'm glad, because it has worked wonders on my depression and anxiety.

On a side note, have you experienced unusually vivid dreams? Mine were epic for the first few months, like IMAX-type visuals!

• Heart
So i have been on 30mg of Mirtazapine for 4 weeks now, whilst its helped me with my sleep and depression but boy have I put some weight on already!

Its like I have this constant craving for food, like CONSTANT, i literally eat all day/night. I just tucked away a whole family size melton mowbray pork pie with some picallili and i still want more

with christmas coming up and all the food and rink on tap I am worried i am going to pile the pounds on
does anyone know of anything I can do to counteract that constant hunger craving ?

its crazy its worse than the minchies you get with weed

anyway im off to the shop to get some ground beef for some homemade smash burgers, starving already

ill end up dying on the toilet of heart attack like elvis at this rate

Ugh, it's pretty bad yeah, and mirtazapine is notorious for unhealthy weight gain.

Your best bet might be to move on to a different anti-depressant, to be honest, or ask for the addition of something that may slightly counteract some of those effects (like bupropion). Either way, it may take a bit of experimentation.

Best of luck over Xmas!!!

I was wondering if it was that or methadone, i put 30lbs on and felt disgusted with myself got off methadone. Still on mirtazipine but back to 126lbs. Guess it wasn't the methadone

• Heart
docs keep trying to get me on antipsychotics (I refuse them now), back in the summer of 2022 before I realized what they were trying to do, they put me on mirtazapine and told me it was for my MDD (which is now diagnosed as TRD) I had covid at the time too. I wasn't abusing any amphetamines at the time but I actually lost more weight than normal (covid contributed) because I spent most of my time sleeping. I'm already underweight and some people tell me I have an eating disorder but I'm skeptical about considering it a disorder in my case. I got really frail and weak according to my grandparents, maybe not completely emaciated but to some peoples standards I was. Mirtazapine can go fuck itself for how much worse it made my depression.
Just my 2 pesos

When I went on mirtazapine back in 2011, I became absolutely ravenous and my weight ballooned up from 150-200 lbs. in seemingly no time.

In addition to 3 or 4 gigantic meals a day with snacks in between, I would polish off a half-gallon of ice cream every night before bed.

Thankfully though, this subsided after about 3 months and I've been able to maintain a healthy weight ever since. I'm glad, because it has worked wonders on my depression and anxiety.

On a side note, have you experienced unusually vivid dreams? Mine were epic for the first few months, like IMAX-type visuals!

Yeah man the dreams wow! not bad dreams but very clear and I remember them when I wake up in very very clear detail word for word, i can explain every detail of my dreams.

most of them are about people who i haven't seen in a long long time also and some are also about my profession but me doing it in a foreign country. last nights were me living in a bunch of mobile homes with my old school friends and then me working for a company in Thailand with all the employees worshipping me like a god, i even recall e being in my apartment room in Thailand flicking through the thai TV channels and watching different stuff, very very clear amazing dreams

Try Vraylar, I've been switching between scripts because of this issue, so far Seroquel doesn't cause me to gain weight (actually it allows me to be full blown anorexic if I want to, tryin to get over being anorexic) Vraylar also causes less hunger than other medicines in this drug class, not as well as seroquel for me (tends to be the exact opposite with other people on seroquel though!)