• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mirtazapine quetiapine crosstolerance

benzoboss

Bluelighter
Hey im rn on citalopram 20mg (anxiety) and quetiapine 100 mg(insomnia).
I asked to chance it to only mirtazapine becouse i hate anti psychotics and becouse the quetiapine did not work any more.
So im getting mirtazapine next week.
But im concerned that they is a cross tolerance between them.
Becouse they both work as a antagonist on histamine h1.

Is this treu?

OT:
Ivw read some intresting trip reports of high dosages of mirtazapine.
They experienced lsd like visuals whitout the mind fuck of psychs is this worth trying or is it just bs.

if you actually need an ssri its a pretty bad to come off of one and start another, only to abuse it by trying to trip.
if you want to get high use anything other than meds you actually need to function - buy shrooms!?

Its bs they arent tripping they are messed up. If you poison yourself you might see walls move.

I could bash you over the head with a rock and youd have mild visuals that doesnt make it a acceptable form of tripping.

Is there a cross tolerance.
And no i dont want to abuse them i was just curious.

Hey im rn on citalopram 20mg (anxiety) and quetiapine 100 mg(insomnia).
I asked to chance it to only mirtazapine becouse i hate anti psychotics and becouse the quetiapine did not work any more.

i feel your pain. you seem to be confronting a situation that i continue to deal with -- mental health problems in conjunction with sleep disturbance. i refuse to take quetiapine for sleep.

however, i'm really confused as you seem to be saying the following. you are taking:

1. ecitalopram (SSRI) for anxiety
2. quetiapine (atypical antipsyotic) for sleep disturbance

when you say "i have antipsychotics... the quetiapine did not work any more" it gives the impression that your meds will be adjusted as follows:

1. ecitalopram (SSRI)
2. mirtazapine (NaSSA) for sleep disturbance

that is, because the quetiapine is not working, it would be out of the picture. however, your question about cross-tolerance of histamine seems to imply the following:

1. mirtazpine for anxiety and sleep disturbance
2. quetiapine for sleep disturbance
? ecitalopram

mirtazapine will make you sleepy, are you intending to take it before bed? same for quetiapine: is that at night at well? and the escitalopram, where does that fit into the picture?
what you are trying to do will be messy and based on my own experience, it won't work out the way you are hoping it will.

i presume that the quetiapine is also making you fat and lazy. if so, consider that this will be further aggravated by the mirtazapine.

BTW -- have you ever considered the possibility that the escitalopram is contributing to the sleep disturbance?

i feel your pain. you seem to be confronting a situation that i continue to deal with -- mental health problems in conjunction with sleep disturbance. i refuse to take quetiapine for sleep.

however, i'm really confused as you seem to be saying the following. you are taking:

1. ecitalopram (SSRI) for anxiety
2. quetiapine (atypical antipsyotic) for sleep disturbance

when you say "i have antipsychotics... the quetiapine did not work any more" it gives the impression that your meds will be adjusted as follows:

1. ecitalopram (SSRI)
2. mirtazapine (NaSSA) for sleep disturbance

that is, because the quetiapine is not working, it would be out of the picture. however, your question about cross-tolerance of histamine seems to imply the following:

1. mirtazpine for anxiety and sleep disturbance
2. quetiapine for sleep disturbance
? ecitalopram

mirtazapine will make you sleepy, are you intending to take it before bed? same for quetiapine: is that at night at well? and the escitalopram, where does that fit into the picture?
what you are trying to do will be messy and based on my own experience, it won't work out the way you are hoping it will.

i presume that the quetiapine is also making you fat and lazy. if so, consider that this will be further aggravated by the mirtazapine.

BTW -- have you ever considered the possibility that the escitalopram is contributing to the sleep disturbance?
Its citalopram.
And yes i think that it contributes to my sleep disturbance.
Thats why i asked mirtazapine.
Im now lowering my dose.
Im on 10mg rn and i will start whit 15mg mirtazapine on monday.

Its citalopram.

my apologies. but here you go, another point: escitalopram has a better therapeutic profile than citalopram:

Escitalopram and citalopram: the unexpected role of the R-enantiomer
Psychopharmacology (2004) 174: 163–176
Contrary to what might be expected, the effect of escitalopram (DCI of S-citalopram) is not superimposable on an equivalent dose of citalopram but is superior. Several hypotheses could explain this superiority. First, conversions of the S-enantiomer into the R-enantiomer may occur, but there is no reason why this phenomenon would happen more when both enantiomers are present than when escitalopram is alone.

i haven't looked into it, but i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't also have a more favourable side-effect profile.

And yes i think that it contributes to my sleep disturbance.
Thats why i asked mirtazapine.

look into agomelatine: has effect on both depression and sleep disturbance. i used to take it and thought it was helpful, but it was too expensive -- i'm from australia, but it's not PBS listed because they didn't think it was worth the price for what it offers over SSRIs.

for a number of years i also used to also take amitryptiline before bed as a sedative and antidepressant. i eventually stopped taking it when a new psychiatrist i was seeing refused to prescribe it to me. were it not for the fact that i considered to him extremely competent i would not have listened to him. however, in retrospect i will need to seek another opinion: since getting off it, my sleep has turned to shit, and i refuse to take quetiapine. also, i'm not sure if he was concerned about the efficacy of amitryptiline per se, or that he thought i my try to kill myself by ODing it.

and oh, in answer to your question: yes, you will generally get cross-tolerance with drugs of overlapping mechanism of action. at the same time, however, you shouldn't assume that you will get the same cross-tolerance at all receptor sites, which might lead to to equal cross-tolerance of pharmacological effect. in short: maybe you'll get significant cross-tolerance to the dry-mouth, but minimal tolerance to its sedating effects.

my apologies. but here you go, another point: escitalopram has a better therapeutic profile than citalopram:

Escitalopram and citalopram: the unexpected role of the R-enantiomer
Psychopharmacology (2004) 174: 163–176
Contrary to what might be expected, the effect of escitalopram (DCI of S-citalopram) is not superimposable on an equivalent dose of citalopram but is superior. Several hypotheses could explain this superiority. First, conversions of the S-enantiomer into the R-enantiomer may occur, but there is no reason why this phenomenon would happen more when both enantiomers are present than when escitalopram is alone.

i haven't looked into it, but i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't also have a more favourable side-effect profile.

look into agomelatine: has effect on both depression and sleep disturbance. i used to take it and thought it was helpful, but it was too expensive -- i'm from australia, but it's not PBS listed because they didn't think it was worth the price for what it offers over SSRIs.

for a number of years i also used to also take amitryptiline before bed as a sedative and antidepressant. i eventually stopped taking it when a new psychiatrist i was seeing refused to prescribe it to me. were it not for the fact that i considered to him extremely competent i would not have listened to him. however, in retrospect i will need to seek another opinion: since getting off it, my sleep has turned to shit, and i refuse to take quetiapine. also, i'm not sure if he was concerned about the efficacy of amitryptiline per se, or that he thought i my try to kill myself by ODing it.

and oh, in answer to your question: yes, you will generally get cross-tolerance with drugs of overlapping mechanism of action. at the same time, however, you shouldn't assume that you will get the same cross-tolerance at all receptor sites, which might lead to to equal cross-tolerance of pharmacological effect. in short: maybe you'll get significant cross-tolerance to the dry-mouth, but minimal tolerance to its sedating effects.
Haha thnx.
You are the only one that helped me here.

Btw try doxylamine for insomnia.
I've read some good things about it
And its otc in the us and spain ?

Wow just got my first mirtazapine last night.
The dreams are so fucking vivid.
I did became lucid in multiple dreams its sad that i didmt had any control.
I would almost call it a night mare