• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mirtazapine - heart arrhythmias?

Flynnal

Bluelighter
I've recently discovered that I might be suffering from some type of arrhythmia. I had taken Mirtazapine for 10 years then stopped in January 2014 and then went back on it July last year. I am currently taking 90mg each night around 8pm.

Sometimes my heart beat sequence sometimes goes like this:

......*.....*....*...*..*.................*.....*....*...*...*

Not always, but quite often. Often enough to concern me. I'm not sure if this is just premature ventricular contraction (PVC which on its own is benign and generally harmless) or if it is some type of atrial fibrillation (AF which can be harmful long-term).

After the pause the first beat seems to be a bit stronger than the rest, which some say is PVC and not AF...

I am going to see my GP to ask about a Holtier monitor and see if I can use it for 24-48 hours as per the appropriate circumstances.

Has anyone else experienced arrhythmia whilst taking any antidepressant, but especially mirtazapine as that is the one I am taking.

I try not to panic about it but this is disturbing. I am only 37 and when I get these terrible thoughts of my sisters having to explain to my nieces and nephews that their uncle won't be coming back greatly distresses me. I don't want to die from something as silly as a heart arrhythmia. I know that death from certain types of arrhythmia (ventricular fibrillation?) is pretty much painless, and as comforting as that is, it actually scares me even more as that means there would be no warning...until it's too late.

Where should I go and what should I do?

I've recently discovered that I might be suffering from some type of arrhythmia. I had taken Mirtazapine for 10 years then stopped in January 2014 and then went back on it July last year. I am currently taking 90mg each night around 8pm.

Sometimes my heart beat sequence sometimes goes like this:

......*.....*....*...*..*.................*.....*....*...*...*

Not always, but quite often. Often enough to concern me. I'm not sure if this is just premature ventricular contraction (PVC which on its own is benign and generally harmless) or if it is some type of atrial fibrillation (AF which can be harmful long-term).

After the pause the first beat seems to be a bit stronger than the rest, which some say is PVC and not AF...

I am going to see my GP to ask about a Holtier monitor and see if I can use it for 24-48 hours as per the appropriate circumstances.

Has anyone else experienced arrhythmia whilst taking any antidepressant, but especially mirtazapine as that is the one I am taking.

I try not to panic about it but this is disturbing. I am only 37 and when I get these terrible thoughts of my sisters having to explain to my nieces and nephews that their uncle won't be coming back greatly distresses me. I don't want to die from something as silly as a heart arrhythmia. I know that death from certain types of arrhythmia (ventricular fibrillation?) is pretty much painless, and as comforting as that is, it actually scares me even more as that means there would be no warning...until it's too late.

Where should I go and what should I do?

seems like quite the anxiety you got there about these heart palps and all it took was reading the last paragraph which sounds a lot like me when i let my thoughts go all over the place
IME i often felt this .....*....*.*.*.......*....*....*.*.*.*.*....*..................*.*.*.* i scared the shit out of myself and had a quite a few heart test done from x rays to being hooked up to a machine while i ran to wearing a monitor for 24 hrs all of it to come back normal

mirtazapine could be the culprit i highly suggest you talk to the doc about the mirtazapine
if push comes to shove i would go to a cardiologist and get some test done as we have to no way to figure out why that is happening to you

IMO sure does sound like your anxiety levels are getting the best of you
anxiety and heart palps go hand in hand

from what ive learned we all get them but people with anxiety issues tend to notice them even more so if you are a hypochondriac

edit* my gf chimed in( she is in the medical field...take what she says with a grain of salt) that if you are still having thoughts like that your, last paragraph.. it could be that mirtazapine is no longer working for you its not uncommon for a AD to work for a yr 5 yrs 10 yrs then poop out on you and instead of feeling the therapeutic effects all you get is the side effects

Last edited:
Yes, maybe I have had this arrhythmia for a long time. Though it hasn't killed me. If it has been going on all this time, you would think I would be dead by now.

Maybe it's harmless but I will see my GP and get it monitored for 48h and see what the cardiologist says. I hope whatever it is I have that:

1/ it's not lethal, or
2/ if it is lethal that it's not too late to do anything about it

I know some arrhythmias are dangerous (because they can cause clotting and potentially harmful blood pressure fluctuations) but I also hear others are harmless, and with atrial fibrillation it won't cause problems as long as blood thinners are being prescribed and being taken daily.