View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Mirtazapine as a psychedelic

rollinwhite

Greenlighter
I just learned that Mirtazapine can act as a psychedelic in doses that exceed therapeutic doses. As it just so happens, I have some Mirtazapine at home that I was prescribed as a sleeping aid but never ended up using.

What's the amount I should take to have a full blown psychedelic experience? Psychonaut Wiki lists a strong dose as 190-250mg. I'm a heavyset dude, So should I just go for 250 right off the bat?

And also, is there cross tolerance between Mirtazapine and other psychedelics? I did 900ug of 1D-LSD on Friday.

gotta say that sounds grim - disappointment abounds in almost every report I've heard from people trying to get a psychedelic experience from a non-psychedelic

better of just getting an actual psychedelic or waiting until you can do, imo

Weird, I didn't know it can be abused.

Apparently has deliriant effects. Does not sound fun to me. I don't do deliriants anymore.

Ugh, no. Just no.

IME, taking higher doses of mirtazapine is akin to being smacked over the head with a cosh. It'll more likely than not just knock you out and give you a shit hangover when you wake up.

@Snafu in the Void yeh, shortly before losing consciousness there can be a brief period of delirium, but all you want to do is fuckin sleep.

I had a profound psychotherapeutic experience under the influence of 15mg oral mirtazapine. I had a hypnagogic hallucination where a school housemaster that used to scream and berate me for minor wrongdoings was in my kitchen screaming at me. From behind him emerged his father, who then screamed and berated him. Here I learnt that anger is cyclical, and transfers through time analogous to a gene, using our brains as a vehicle for its propagation. After this experience, I felt no animosity towards the housemaster who had so traumatised me as a young man.

I had some other bizarre hallucinations that were erotic, skeletal and sexual in nature. The next day I felt unbelievably tired, to the extent that not even 10mg insufflated isopropylphenidate could cure.

The brain is the substrate for the drug experience. I had a wonderful time on mirtazapine. The comments you make here are a comment upon differences in personal neurochemistry and not the drug itself.

No, the comments I made do describe the drug itself.

It is extremely atypical for someone to report that they, "had a wonderful time on mirtazapine" because the drug itself has no biological means for producing a rewarding effect. At much higher doses than 15mg it can serve as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, which might produce vaguely reinforcing effects, but that is quite a stretch. This is why animal and human studies have never shown mirtazapine to have any abuse potential, and thus why it is not a controlled substance.

Of course there are people who find diphenhydramine enjoyable as well, but this is rather unusual as well.

So again, I stand by my comment of, "mirtazapine does not produce enjoyable effects". This is the scientific consensus and again, there just isn't a biochemical pathway for it to be enjoyable. The fact that you might have enjoyed the subject matter of one of the hallucinations doesn't really change that.