• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mirtazapine and tramadol

jambabomba

Bluelighter
Hello,

Has anyone used mirtazapine and tramadol together? Does it increase serotonin too much even to the edge of serotonin syndrome?

I am a little bit hesitant to use them concomitantly because of my previous mistakes with tramadol and dextromethorphane which actually caused me some form of serotonin syndrome (doses were very high though) which lasted a day and it traumatized me a little bit regarding serotonin substances so that I do not want to experience it again and even mild increase in serotonin nowdays triggers those memories from it and accompanied panic attacks and so on.

So that is why I want to avoid even mild serotonin syndromes or over doses.

My dose of mirtazapin is very low though, only 7,5mg at night and no other serotonergic substances in use. I was thinking adding 50-100mg tramadol to be used by morning/day. Does anyone has experience or knowledge about this combo and its effects?

Thank you

I have never had issue but I haven't also with truly irresponsible combos either.

Mirtazapine has only small handful of case studies implying serotonin toxicity or seizure risk. It seems very benign.

Be informed that it also decreases release of gaba and glutamate.

Generally not a concern. Especially at these doses. In the past I have combined them extensively and very regularly at much higher doses.

Mirtazapine isn't commonly associated with serotonin syndrome, and the cases that have been recorded tend to be in special populations (elderly etc.) or in more complicated scenarios. I believe mirtazapine has even been used to treat serotonin syndrome with some success due to its acute antiserotonergic effects. The proserotonergic effects of mirtazapine occur more gradually over the course of time somewhat indirectly due to downstream events

I have been on mirtazapine for 11 years and I never risked taking tramadol because I didn’t want to get serotonin syndrome /poisoning. Because tramadol is this weird mix of an opioid that has some form of antidepressant in it too. Something like that.someone on here will know more about tramadol than I do though.

Last edited:
Oh,I’ve been on 30mgs of mirtazapine for 11 years.
I’ve stayed away from tramadol and I used to do heroin. I haven’t had serotonin syndrome but I can be a worrier sometimes so I’m usually careful and read a lot before I do something.

But if I ever wanted to do coke or adderall I would have to stop taking my med for at least a week to feel it. Usually I can’t really feel the drugs unless I stop my mirtazapine for a bit and it’s just not a good thing to be doing. Mixing.

I’ve done coke and other stimulants while fully on the mirtazapine and the drugs don’t really work.
With LSD I also have to take a break from my med for a little while in order for it to work.
But I’ve noticed mushrooms won’t work at all unless I like fully get off mirtazapine.which kind of sucks if you love tripping but yeah.

And I know you can get serotonin syndrome mixing mirtazapine with stuff like coke and adderall so I stopped taking my antidepressant.
You shouldn’t really stop taking an antidepressant like that as most people already know but I’ve been on it for a little bit over a decade and I was fine.but I still realize that everyone is different.

I actually have some Adderall I’ve been meaning to take but I haven’t taken it yet because at the moment I kind of don’t feel like taking a break from my antidepressant right now. Especially with where I live , the darkness and the cold of winter sometimes affects me.

Last edited:
Hello,

Has anyone used mirtazapine and tramadol together? Does it increase serotonin too much even to the edge of serotonin syndrome?

I am a little bit hesitant to use them concomitantly because of my previous mistakes with tramadol and dextromethorphane which actually caused me some form of serotonin syndrome (doses were very high though) which lasted a day and it traumatized me a little bit regarding serotonin substances so that I do not want to experience it again and even mild increase in serotonin nowdays triggers those memories from it and accompanied panic attacks and so on.

So that is why I want to avoid even mild serotonin syndromes or over doses.

My dose of mirtazapin is very low though, only 7,5mg at night and no other serotonergic substances in use. I was thinking adding 50-100mg tramadol to be used by morning/day. Does anyone has experience or knowledge about this combo and its effects?

Thank you
I’m prescribed 15 mg mirtazpine I take at night and take 200 mg tramadol through out the day and there have been no problems what’s so ever.

Mirtazapine isn't a serotonin releaser or reuptake inhibitor, in fact it is a potent serotonin antagonist so should be fine together with tramadol.