• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Minor visual disturbances

BlueBull

Moderator: MDMA
Hey everyone

I've got a question I'm asking for a friend. And no this is not a poor attempt at swimming =D it's really for a friend. He just doesn't want to bother making an account here and ask himself. I think what he's experiencing might be cause for concern but I'm not sure, hence why I thought I'd ask on here.

Short background: he's in his mid twenties. Used to do quite a lot of coke when he was around 17-18-19 but never smoked weed. Met him about 3 years ago. I'm an avid pot smoker, have been for years, so are my closest friends whom I introduced to him

So about a year and a half ago, after hanging with us a lot while we smoked, he told us he wanted to try it. After some debate and me trying to figure out the reasons behind this sudden change of heart (he had stopped doing any drugs for a few years already at that point) I was convinced it couldn't do much harm and smoked with him. Now, about a year and half further later he's smoking more than I am, which is saying something, really. I've been smoking for about 12 years now, 8 years daily. Last few months he mentioned a few times while really high that he could see things like a static laptop wallpaper moving from the corner of his eye, or shadows that warped very subtly. Always in the corner of his eye, never when he focuses on it.

At first I kind of laughed this off, but I was already concerned by this happening so frequently when he told me that since recently he very occasionally experiences the same thing while sober. It's very subtle he says but he's convinced it's there. What do you guys think, cause for concern? What with weed being a possible trigger for some mental disorders and all. It's not that he's experiencing this while high that worries me, I get that sometimes too when absolutely blasted, but the fact that it happens so frequently in his case and that he's convinced he is experiencing this sober now too is weird I think. I'm going to show him the replies I get here

Thanks in advance for reading and for any replies

Fixating on visual disturbances while high is a pretty common affliction but isn't indicative of any damage or anything. Even though it's not a "true" hallucinogen cannabis is well known to cause visual disturbances and even CEV/OEV in cases of low tolerance/high dose.

There's two options, either smoke less, or ignore it :)

He started getting it while sober too though and never had that before he started excessively smoking weed... That's what worries me, I never had that while sober, apart from the occasional hallucinogen-flashback in the weeks following a trip

Last edited:
i tend to agree with sekio, very mild hallucinations can be triggered by weed. If this is the only strange behavior that you notice i don't think it'd be cause for concern. Typically there a handful of strange behaviors that accompany mental health problems.

Have you tried talking to him about your concern?

He's concerned about it himself. It seems to happen more and more lately and while sober too so he's worried it might mean there is something wrong

a very similar thing - if not the same - happened to me. i am very sensitive to weed and would get super high all the time, and when i notice i was starting to notice visual disturbances sober. it's hard to explain. a few things made it more noticeable, notably walking on street at night the lights would start to trip me out and my whole field of view would get... well, weird... a wall i always passed by when i walked home, if i looked at it, everything felt like it was repeating itself over and over, it'd trip me out if i kept looking. i remember one time looking at a rug on the floor and it was well, melting... hard to explain. and overall, my vision felt like something was off.

the only thing i can think of is stop smoking weed.

weed just does this to some people. i have done psychs and i tell you for me weed can be as intense as a light shroom trip.

i have quit weed but i still feel some times like there's something funny with my vision, but i stopped making a fuss about it.

good luck to your friend, i know some times i thought i was perma-fried and that was a total bummer...

I'll show him these replies. Thanks guys, seems like it shouldn't give cause for too much concern unless it escalates, that's a relieve, I never encountered this before so my first thought was that he was slowly triggering some underlying mental disorder or something. I'll tell him to keep an eye on it but not to worry unless it gets worse

Has he tried taking a break?
Maybe his body just needs time to clear all the THC out of his system. I also from time to time get mild visuals from high doses of cannabis, or if its a dominant sativa. One time I was seeing visuals that were almost on par to LSD, but that only ever happened one time. It was super potent weed, I had no tollerance at all at the time and I took a way bigger hit than I was expecting.
Shit was fun though :D

As for the visuals while sober, this could simply be HPPD since THC is a mild psychedelic. (as others stated)

Depending on the strength of the weed, how much he has smoked and prior hallucinogen use, he might very well experience transient visual disturbances of the sort you mentioned. I find visual 'distortions' much more common now (with weed) after having used mushrooms, LSZ, Al-LAD and 4-AcO-DMT for a few years.

When they do happen during normal, non drug taking life they are a cause for concern depending on their severity. My 'events' caused flashbacks severe enough that I stopped driving at one point.

Tom

Depending on the strength of the weed, how much he has smoked and prior hallucinogen use, he might very well experience transient visual disturbances of the sort you mentioned. I find visual 'distortions' much more common now (with weed) after having used mushrooms, LSZ, Al-LAD and 4-AcO-DMT for a few years.

When they do happen during normal, non drug taking life they are a cause for concern depending on their severity. My 'events' caused flashbacks severe enough that I stopped driving at one point.

Tom

Ive never had any extreme vissual distortions myself, and much less so while sober; but i have to agree that they didnt start untill I had started using hallucinogens like LSD and mushrooms

Nope, no previous history with hallucinogens or even anything related (no deleriants, ketamine, nothing). Coke and speed, both in abuse quantities but that was years ago, that's it. The hppd might explain it, does anyone know if this is possible with no prior use of true full-fledged hallucinogens? He's just going to see if it gets worse first, he doesn't want to lessen his weed consumption, honeymoon phase and all :D my main concerns were mental health problems, like psychosis, being triggered here but it seems that would be accompanied by other symptoms, and there are none. So it's probably nothing to be worried about, unless it gets worse