• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mind over matter

Roxi808

Bluelighter
So I've been battling opiates on and off for years mostly oxy at high doses. The last few months have been mostly maintaining with Kratom to try and quit opiates completely...worked my way down to about 4 grams 3 times daily and jumped today, this is my first day without some kind of opiate in about 8 months

My question is how do you overcome the psychological aspect of expecting bad withdrawals? I get so psyched up and anxious when I try and jump off an opiate. I truly believe that I make it ten times worse in my head...for instance I feel fine right now, no physical symptoms at all except for a little tired...my symptoms are I feel pretty restless and anxious and mildly depressed. These feelings are self fulfilling I think. Like if I didn't know anything about withdrawal (or that it even happens) I would feel completely fine right now.

Does anybody feel like they make their withdrawal way worse just by expecting it to be bad? Side note, I know what real withdrawals are as I've cold turkeyed a long term 240-300 mg a day oxy habit, probably the main reason I'm scared to death of it.

I want to convince myself that I feel great I just feel like my addict mind won't let me...does that even make sense?

Makes perfect since, im the same way. You have to be mentally prepared and know that its not permanent and will pass. In my opinion withdrawals can be much worse if you phsyc yourself out. I have found that lyrica works extremly well to combat this and several other symptons

How do you know what is withdrawl and what is mental illness. Its possible the reason you are so drawn to opiates is because of a untreated mental illness. I got oxycodone for when i had my wisdom teeth taken out. I didnt go omg this is the best thing in my life i need this. Most people who dont feel chronically like shit either from mental illness or pain or trama like ptsd from seeing people die fighting in a war dont feel the desire to take a thurd a gram of oxycodone a day. But ill tell you right now if you broke my back id be hustling oxycodone like you wouldnt believe

Nothing too deep man, I just like to get high but have learned there is a price to pay if u get carried away like I have

Yes, I've found it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I was the same way with getting myself all worked up with that feeling of impending doom. Try distracting yourself with television, comfort foods or whatever things you liked to do before getting high came into the picture. Are you planning to stay at home and do you have a plan in place so you don't relapse?

Mind over matter...if you cut off your arm, how is mind going to grow you another arm or prevent it from being cut? You need to be aware of what is a mentality and what is a physicality. Opioid withdrawal is a physicality, mind has nothing to do in it, it's like not having arms and trying to drive.

KSA you can't tell me there isn't a huge psychosomatic element to withdrawals...for me the physical part i.e. chills, cold sweats, achiness, is bearable, it's the psychological aspect that's torturous to me, the restless anxiety/depression and how minutes seem like days.

After the few withdrawals I've been through I've found that there is a definite point in time where my psyche changes and I begin to feel positive and hopeful, it's been around day 4-5 for me. I just have to bear it til I reach that point

Why don't u try methadone or suboxone I know it's not sexy but maybe that will help you more slowly transition instead of freaking out your body. I agree with you it's also about how you think and feel but it is also about. Biology. What if you did both and saw a CBT therapist while taking methadone or suboxone for a little then doing just CBT no opiates if u choose

Mind over matter...if you cut off your arm, how is mind going to grow you another arm or prevent it from being cut? You need to be aware of what is a mentality and what is a physicality. Opioid withdrawal is a physicality, mind has nothing to do in it, it's like not having arms and trying to drive.

KSA, if you have no helpful advice to offer, you don't have to post.

KSA you can't tell me there isn't a huge psychosomatic element to withdrawals...for me the physical part i.e. chills, cold sweats, achiness, is bearable, it's the psychological aspect that's torturous to me, the restless anxiety/depression and how minutes seem like days.

After the few withdrawals I've been through I've found that there is a definite point in time where my psyche changes and I begin to feel positive and hopeful, it's been around day 4-5 for me. I just have to bear it til I reach that point

I have a hard time believing that you feel anxiety and depression while under the effect of strong opioids. Usually anxiety and depression precede physical withdrawal symptoms after the dose has kicked out. Opioids relieve physical pain and emotional pain, in that order so I find it normal that emotional pain will emerge first upon withdrawal. Your question, as I perceive it, is "how do I deal with the negative emotions I suppressed with opioids that end up triggering anxiety at the thought of withdrawing?"

Last edited by a moderator:
You're overthinking it...if you have a big opiate habit and you pick a day that you're going to buckle down and cold turkey it, you're telling me it's not normal to be anxious and a little afraid of that day?

As far as methadone or subs, I used Kratom to get off the methadone binge thank God, no way am I going back to either of those

Also, for anyone reading that's on Kratom, the withdrawals are FOR REAL, don't think it's some walk in the park...

Edit: not as bad as my big oxy cold turkey years ago though?

Sorry I've been gone for a while everybody. One thousand and one pardons, but I had hit a rather severe Methadone wall that left me unable to reason, emote or form ideas. I'm starting to feel better.

KSA, what the hell man? I would venture to say that withdrawal from Opioids can be a more psychological battle than physical. The anticipation, the fear and everything in between can make for a mental prison. It's a hard fact that some are more in control of their emotions, less sensitive to emotional stimuli etc. For myself, withdrawal is essentially a battle against having a complete mental and emotional breakdown, at which point I will no longer be able to take care of myself (hydration, nutrition, the work involved acquring comfort meds from the street) and assume the "fetal position stage", which can quickly transmute into the hospitalization stage.

Roxi I just wanted to see how you're doing. I withdraw from oxy 12+ times a year so I can easily attest to the psychological part. For me it's the not wanting to do shit. Don't want to get out of bed, don't want to go to work and I damn sure don't want to do anything after I get there. Like you said though after about a week all that starts going away. I hope you are doing well and you can give the drug life a final goodbye.

How do you know what is withdrawl and what is mental illness. Its possible the reason you are so drawn to opiates is because of a untreated mental illness alone. I got oxycodone for when i had my wisdom teeth taken out. I didnt go omg this is the best thing in my life i need this. Most people who dont feel chronically like shit either from mental illness or pain or trama like ptsd from seeing people die fighting in a war dont feel the desire to take a thurd a gram of oxycodone a day. But ill tell you right now if you broke my back id be hustling oxycodone like you wouldnt believe

Completely not true, people who take opiates first time and get that omg feeling is the addict gene that's passed down generation to generation , or because of other reasons not mental illness alone.

And I know exactly what you're talking about I'm going through it now, I've been through withdrawals before , but my will is taken away little by little after every time I kick fully. The next kick is harder because it's like pointless pain in my mind so it's hard to find the will to endure it . And I psych myself out too especially over the fact that I know it's not a 1 day thing that's what always makes me way too anxious that I know 1-2 movies isn't gonna be enough not even 10, it's gonna be 4-5 days until the clear like that other guy said . And the other addict brain trick I play on myself is "oh well once I kick I'll never use opiates again cause I just can't not even once so why not do one last enjoyable shot "

Last edited:
I think there are many factors that influence drug use. Genes certain do play a role and not everyone who uses drugs is medicating a mental illness. However, people with mental illness are still disproportionately more likely to become daily drug users. If someone has mental illness simply not doing drugs won't fix the mental illness. Idk the OP has a mental illness or some kind of extreme physical pain but if they do I don't think just dealing with the addiction would be as effective as replacing the opiates with talk therapy or physical therapy or medication if there is something they are self medicating with.