• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Milk Thistle for Increasing drug levels?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I bought Milk Thistle and after doing research on it, there are MANY medications where blood levels/concentrations of the medication are notably increased when taken with milk thistle.
This include: opiates, benzodiazepines, the "Z Drugs", Anti-psychotics, anti-histamines and more.
Surely this could be potentially an excellent resource. I haven't seen it mentioned on here before.

It seems that Silibinin, one of the active ingredients in milk thistle, can block P-Gp and maybe even CYP450 isozymes, so it makes sense that it might increase plasma concentrations of various meds/drugs

would it work with kratom?
You want metabolism with kratom as 7 OH mitragynine, in addition to a being a trace alkaloid in kratom, is also an active metabolite of mitragynine.

As for the OP; I've noticed intensified effects with benzos and opioids. It was especially effective with oxycodone for me for some reason. I found other potentiators with oxy to be useless.

Never worked for me but difulcan(for woman yeast infection) can increase plasma levels by up to 25%. I had to take it last year on methadone and my doctor wanted me to take less methadone, i didn't listen and actually got a bit high off my dose

I have read that it potentiates methadone – heart drugs – Tambocor (flecainide), Rythmol (propafenone) – antibiotics – erythromycin, rifampin – anti-seizure drugs – carbamazepine (Tegretol) – antidepressants – St. John’s wort, Zyban/Wellbutrin (bupropion), Paxil (paroxetine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Luvox (fluvoxetine) Serzone (nefazodone), Zoloft (sertraline), Effexor (venlafaxine) – antihistamines – Hismanal (astemizole), Seldane (terfenadine) – antifungals – itraconazole (Sporanox), Ketoconazole (Nizoral) – gastrointestinal motility agents – Prepulsid (Cisapride) – ergot drugs – Ergonovine, Ergomar (ergotamine) – antipsychotics – Clozaril (clozapine), Orap (pimozide) – sedatives/sleeping pills – Ambien (zolpidem), Halcion (triazolam), Versed (midazolam) – lipid-lowering drugs (statins) – Lescol (fluvastatin), Mevacor (lovastatin), Pravachol (pravastatin) and Zocor (simvastatin), Baycol (cerivastatin) – transplant drugs – cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), ProGraf (tacrolimus), anti-parasite drugs – Mepron (atovaquone) – sedatives/sleeping pills – Ativan (lorazepam) – hormones – estrogen (http://i-base.info/htb/4667) but be careful about mixing milk thistle and NSAIDs because of the combination can be very bad for the liver. So if your medication includes NSAIDs in combination with your drug (like Percocet which has both Acetaminophen and Oxycodone).

Last edited:
I bought Milk Thistle and after doing research on it, there are MANY medications where blood levels/concentrations of the medication are notably increased when taken with milk thistle.
This include: opiates, benzodiazepines, the "Z Drugs", Anti-psychotics, anti-histamines and more.
Surely this could be potentially an excellent resource. I haven't seen it mentioned on here before.
Hello, this is my 1st time actually writing something on here, although I've been lurking for as many yrs as I can remember. I was going to recently try taking Milk Thistle, but my purpose was for the liver detoxifying effects which I thought was the defining reason for taking it.
So if that's the case, in my mind, I'm having a hard time figuring out how it can be a "Potentiator", if it's supposed to be clearing out your system from toxins.
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this or if I hijacked it in any way..... that's the last thing I want (I'm new to all the rules). My apologies to anyone that I may have offended. Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday & are staying safe. Regards from Canada. Ty & take care.

Hello, this is my 1st time actually writing something on here, although I've been lurking for as many yrs as I can remember. I was going to recently try taking Milk Thistle, but my purpose was for the liver detoxifying effects which I thought was the defining reason for taking it.
So if that's the case, in my mind, I'm having a hard time figuring out how it can be a "Potentiator", if it's supposed to be clearing out your system from toxins.
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this or if I hijacked it in any way..... that's the last thing I want (I'm new to all the rules). My apologies to anyone that I may have offended. Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday & are staying safe. Regards from Canada. Ty & take care.
No need to apologise :)
I don't think that's how it works. It doesn't exactly help you detoxify so much as help protect your liver from the toxins damaging it.

I have read that it potentiates methadone – heart drugs – Tambocor (flecainide), Rythmol (propafenone) – antibiotics – erythromycin, rifampin – anti-seizure drugs – carbamazepine (Tegretol) – antidepressants – St. John’s wort, Zyban/Wellbutrin (bupropion), Paxil (paroxetine), Prozac (fluoxetine), Luvox (fluvoxetine) Serzone (nefazodone), Zoloft (sertraline), Effexor (venlafaxine) – antihistamines – Hismanal (astemizole), Seldane (terfenadine) – antifungals – itraconazole (Sporanox), Ketoconazole (Nizoral) – gastrointestinal motility agents – Prepulsid (Cisapride) – ergot drugs – Ergonovine, Ergomar (ergotamine) – antipsychotics – Clozaril (clozapine), Orap (pimozide) – sedatives/sleeping pills – Ambien (zolpidem), Halcion (triazolam), Versed (midazolam) – lipid-lowering drugs (statins) – Lescol (fluvastatin), Mevacor (lovastatin), Pravachol (pravastatin) and Zocor (simvastatin), Baycol (cerivastatin) – transplant drugs – cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), ProGraf (tacrolimus), anti-parasite drugs – Mepron (atovaquone) – sedatives/sleeping pills – Ativan (lorazepam) – hormones – estrogen (http://i-base.info/htb/4667) but be careful about mixing milk thistle and NSAIDs because of the combination can be very bad for the liver. So if your medication includes NSAIDs in combination with your drug (like Percocet which has both Acetaminophen and Oxycodone).

Acetaminophen isn't an NSAID but thanks for the info! I take Naproxen because it potentiates opioids and gabapentinoids. I wonder whether Naproxen or Milk Thistle works better?