• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

mild doses of psychedelics and psychedelics for beginners; lets talk setting peoples!

just say know

Bluelighter
this thread is mainly to discuss mild doses of psychedelics and psychedelics for beginners and what settings are great for those types of trips? this would be invaluable to someone who is considering starting up in psychedelia or who wants to know what type of psychedelic they'd want to start with. personally i feel like it's a matter of discussion and debate :)

but this post is focusing on not just mild doses of psychedelics and what psychedelics are good for someone whose new to psychedelics or even drugs but also their settings. keep in mind this isn't a "what should i take?" thread but rather a thread for discussing what methods are good for easing into psychedelia.

i like the prospect of LSA. although the vasoconstriction and nausea could be a problem for someone who wants to go about using psychedelics and easing into them. i imagine the individual would want to smoke some delicious cannabis? though even then LSA is a very powerful Vasoconstrictor and cannabis might only help a bit.

what about shrooms? some people say shrooms might actually be a bit much for someone whose never had these types of experiences. then there's LSD which many claim to be the best starter psyche; but many people say to try shrooms first. lol. clearly this is debateable.

mostly i just wanted to see what others had to say about this. i mean i can go on and on about my thoughts on this but to be honest i feel like others could contribute more :)

ohh and as for setting i personally go with nature or something fun like riding a bike (with safety gear and trip sitter for emergencies) and possibly just a nice quiet night at home with the family.

what settings do you prefer for low doses and mild psychedelics?

If I want mild, I prefer to dose L in a very 'staircase' manner. Meaning, I cut each blotter into little strips and keep titrating, but it's not for everyone. I never got vasoconstriction from lsa, just nausea and stomach cramps for the first 4 hours (half) of the trip - nevertheless, I've had amazing lsa trips.. The stomach bs is the price you pay for the experience, just like cacti and such. The key is dosing low and slowly working your way up.

Eww... You live in Misery lol! I've had some fear and loathing moments in rural misery lol!

I started with LSD as my first psych and I will say that by far (even though it's the most mind blowing) I find it to be the easiest to handle IF one is prepared. I find many tryptamines too introspective and creepy, so much so, that I never have time to enjoy them because I'm tearing myself apart inside. PEAs, they're pretty easy going... sometimes. I find 2C-C VERY easy and relaxed and perfect for beginners, but it's not a very easy chem to source. I just happened to get a lifetime supply when I had the chance. 2C-D, it's a bit odd but I'd also recommend it for starters. I've heard most of the other PEAs like 2C-E and 2C-P are a bit much, even for the experienced. Never tried them though.

Low dose mushies might be one's best bet, because at -2g's they're pretty forgiving and they last considerably shorter than an L trip. That said, my worst come ups have been mostly on mushies.

I find LSA seeds naseauting and extremely worthless. They usual cause me a great deal of physical distress too, much akin to being poisoned.

I used to take low doses of LSD and just go into public like college classes, go into nature like into the woods, or go and do things I'd do on a normal everyday basis. But I made sure not to drive and would go to college classes on a train and walk everywhere. I never took LSA. With mushrooms the one time I took them at a low dose I just took them at home with a friend at night.

For your first trip I would recommend tripping on your own or with friends who are also tripping.
It's probably best to start off in a safe and familiar environment (at home or at a friend's house). Once the drug has kicked in you can start thinking about what you want to do. The things you mention (going out into a natural setting or going for a bike ride) are great ideas.

Last year I went bowling on 30mg 2C-E with a few friends. We went at night so all the lanes were lit up and the balls were glowing in the dark. That was one of the best trips I have ever had - I would strongly recommend it.

My advice for first timers is always mushrooms. This is for a variety of reasons. For starters its got a relatively short duration, the main part is over by 4 hours in, so if anything went south you know you've not got long til its over. It also has the best safety profile of all drugs AFAIK (by D Nutt's drug harms in the UK analysis at least anyway), and I hear a lot lot less people having things like HPPD etc from mushroom use than other psychs. It has a good balance of effects, strong visuals like 2C-X, a strong body high, a strong headfuck (which is something psych users need to be willing to deal with if they wanna continue tripping), and a lot of fun 'insights' and euphoria are possible. I think dose is important too, I think a first timer should always have a decent dose, not 'strong' but not weak either. Like 2.5g of good B+ cubensis or equiv. That way you've got a psychedelic virgin, they take this dose and bam they've had a 'standard' psychedelic experience, a good overview of what they're capable of. 2.5g will give hints of lower dose effects and hints of what happens on higher doses too (ego loss etc). from here a user is more equipped to understand descriptions of other drugs and decide where to go next. You could maybe use other tryptamines like 4-AcO-DMT in place of mushrooms as they are pretty similar, obviously not DMT though or the 'weirdly behaved' tryptamines like aMT or DiPT etc.

mescaline would also be good in low-mid doses if you can get real synthetic mescaline or perform a good extract, but maybe not if youre just drinking a yucky sludge. it has a long duration but is very very gentle and calm, kind of MDMA-like, with a nice helping of LSD-like, mushroom-like and 2C-like effects too, a very unique feeling substance and really fun. LSD would be my third recommendation but i would have to say I would never suggest someone take LSD as their first trip unless they absolutely cannot do anything else. this is just because of its sheer power (though it does tend to be a lot of fun, more so than shrooms), but when things go south on LSD they go a lot further south than on mushrooms or something IME, its the one that tends to make certain individuals just go completely off their rocker, so I think you should ideally have previous psychedelic experience before trying LSD simply from a harm reduction standpoint. my last recommendation would be 2C-x most preferably 2C-B, it's calm and gentle and doesn't last very long but for a lot of people, myself and friends included, it just feels a bit dirty and uncomfortable. glorious eye candy no doubt and can be a fun headspace but can easily make you anxious, edgy and just uncomfortable/ kind of a 'poisoned' feel. also using 2c-B just twice gave me HPPD (palinopsia) somehow, so again from a HR standpoint I'd have to advise against it. its also just lacking a lot of features of other psychs like a proper headfuck and insights IMO, and for me is more something for enthusiasts who just wanna explore as many states as possible. also, although I think a bad 2c-x trip wouldn't be as bad as a bad LSD trip, it just doesn't feel as physically safe somehow, and coupled with it being less interesting/fun, thats why I put it beneath LSD. but this is just my opinion and experience personally and of my friends

I'd never take something like DOM/DOC/DOB for a first time as 24 hours is just too much for anyone who isnt already really experienced. and I'd always always avoid full 5ht2a agonists like NBOMe/NBOH and DOI, especially 25I etc because they can have so many potential problems, even death, that are much easier to occur than on other psychs. LSA I'd have to say IDK, Ive never tried it but a lot of people say it's uncomfortable and nauseating so I'd probs have to say no, and depending how similar to LSD it is then the same reasoning I used for LSD would apply. there are maybe some RCs that could replace substances mentioned above that may be suitable, but as a blanket statement I'd have to say to avoid RCs until you're more experienced just because they're well.. RCs, just seems silly to delve into unresearched and poorly understood chems until you're really certain you wanna explore the realm of psychedelics and have experience behind you with more tried and true substances.

as for setting, a walk around in nature with somewhere to just sit and relax, and away from too many people, is perfect IMO. especially if you're with friends, or a house that's your own or that at least only has you in it, or you and other people who know you are tripping and are comfortable with that or are tripping with you. NEVER trip around family or even friends if they don't know about it and/or arent OK with that. that is just asking for a bad trip. be equipped with music whether you're at home or outside. have plenty of water with you and fruit, apples and bananas are great. its hard to eat much else when youre tripping imo. DONT attempt to go to a rave or festival some similar, crowded and sensorily intense setting if you've never tripped before, it'd quite likely be too much. especially if you dont have prior heavy experience with cannabis or MDMA or other altered states.

Last edited:
I agree that psilocybin mushrooms would be the best choice for a first trip. Here are some things to keep in mind:

- 2.5 grams dried is a good dose for a first trip.
- Having an empty stomach will give the most intense trip. Taking mushrooms after a big meal will reduce the strength and duration of the effects.
- Make mushroom tea - ingesting this way reduces nausea, tastes less gross, and gives just as powerful an effect as eating the mushrooms. Finely dice the mushrooms, or grind in a coffee grinder, and place in a mug ofwater just off the boil. Let steep for at least 10 minutes, and then filter out the mushroom bits with a tea filter. Add a squirt of lemon juice and some honey. Effects aren't noticeable until about 45 minutes - 1.5 hours after ingesting.
- Be in a place where you can control the volume level if you need to. Don't be around people who you worry might judge you for being on shrooms. Many people prefer to do shrooms alone. Have a place to lay down if you need to. Have a blanket handy because you sometimes feel cold.
- Listen to some music
- Look at pictures or patterns or the curtains
- Stay hydrated
- Shrooms can be emotional. Sometimes you can get in a sad emotional state and get bummed out. Have a joint or packed vaporizer handy - it will turn a bad mood around.
- Keep a notepad and pen handy because you will definitely wish afterwards that you could remember some of the thoughts that raced through your mind.
- The first hour or two is the most intense. The third and fourth hour are still strong but your motor skills are relatively normal. You might even feel restless - this is a great time to take a walk in nature.

Enjoy, and pay close attention to what you experience. There is a psilocybin renaissance happening these days, as modern medicine is finally taking note of some of the amazing properties of this amazing plant. The "war on drugs" has given mushrooms a completely undeserved bad rep.