• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mild allergy/sensitivity to ingredient in adderall?

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
Please move this to OD, can't post there because phone won't let me pick a prefix

A little background-I have multiple allergies, most fairly mild but I'm very allergic to milk. I've never had to go to the ER, it just makes me feel like shit, but even the tiniest amounts or cross contamination sets me off, so that's why I'm thinking allergy.

I've noticed that when I swallow pills (I get generic blue 10mg irs and orange 30mg xrs with the beads btw) I get a lot of side effects that I used to attribute to normal amphetamine effects, but I don't get those effects when I insufflate them instead. Effects such as total lack of appetite/slight nausea (even drinking enough is kind of hard), occasional skin flushing, mild puffiness around my eyes, diarrhea. I figured these are all normal amphetamine side effects, especially since I prefer high-ish doses, but they're also some of the most typical food allergy symptoms for me. The only thing is I don't get cramps, which I usually do with milk.

When I insufflate, I get a little bit of nasal congestion, and that's really it. I can be high enough to get euphoria and still eat and drink just fine, and I feel great. It feels so much cleaner.

Oh also I'm not really sure if irs cause issues when taken orally because I almost always take them with an xr. Xrs definitely cause problems, I've taken them alone many times, so maybe it's something in the xr mechanism?
I always crush them very thoroughly when insufflating.

I don't take adderall daily btw, 2-3x a week usually, and I do have bad ADHD. Even though the effects when I swallow the pills don't bother me that much, I would never it daily. When I insufflate, I can see how daily use would easily be possible, since I feel completely fine and my appetite is barely effected.

You are still ingesting whatever it is though. Perhaps the nose can clear some of the excipients but Im not sure that would account for the lack of side effects from nasal administration.

I'll start off by saying that what you're feeling, as a former speed freak, can be absolutely expected, regardless of allergies .
If there is a medical allergy, it may be good to go to a Doctor and see.
But isn't the last thing anyone wants to hear is 'Go see a Dr.? So, aside from that, something you need to look at is are the side-effects bearable? You are taking them AMA (Against Medical Advice -- but so did I; there is no judgement whatsoever), so if the negativity outweighs the positivity, then you may want to see about Methlyphenidates. Different chemical, closely related, but different.
But if the irritation is bearable, and you still recieve positivity, then I wouldn't worry. You aren't doing it daily, but having a NMDA antagonist, like drinking 10 milligrams of a DXM cough syrup three times a day, can stop any tolerance (though this may be debatable).
Just understand that there may come a time where daily usage sounds like a wonderful idea. It was always good for me to hear the following, "I've never met a person who hasn't had a love/hate relationship with Adderall".

Yeah, but at least when it comes to food allergies, I have to have it hit my digestive tract to get symptoms. I don't really react to milk immediately at all, never get a rash of localized swelling, it's all generalized after the milk starts to get digested. I have contact allergies to latex and bananas (I think bananas are just oral allergy syndrome though) and those only cause contact dermatitis, so reactions can be significantly different for me depending on the allergen. And when I insufflate I do it slowly and carefully and get very little if any drip.

Edit: meant to quote kittycat

Theoretically, the drip is nothing but the drug being digested orally. So if you can insuffilate without a drip, that's great.
I'd also look into the coating of the XR's. Latex may be an ingredient; I don't know. Is there any difference reaction-wise, between the XR and the IR?

I'll start off by saying that what you're feeling, as a former speed freak, can be absolutely expected, regardless of allergies .
If there is a medical allergy, it may be good to go to a Doctor and see.
But isn't the last thing anyone wants to hear is 'Go see a Dr.? So, aside from that, something you need to look at is are the side-effects bearable? You are taking them AMA (Against Medical Advice -- but so did I; there is no judgement whatsoever), so if the negativity outweighs the positivity, then you may want to see about Methlyphenidates. Different chemical, closely related, but different.
But if the irritation is bearable, and you still recieve positivity, then I wouldn't worry. You aren't doing it daily, but having a NMDA antagonist, like drinking 10 milligrams of a DXM cough syrup three times a day, can stop any tolerance (though this may be debatable).
Just understand that there may come a time where daily usage sounds like a wonderful idea. It was always good for me to hear the following, "I've never met a person who hasn't had a love/hate relationship with Adderall".

Thank you for your input, just wanna clarify a few things- I don't plan on daily use anyway, for starters I don't have a script so that would get way too expensive and yeah, I don't want a tolerance (so far I have none to the effects or euphoria which I definitely don't want to ruin) but my current dosing schedule works really well for me and I like having sober/ADHD days. I just meant that I could see how my body could handle daily dosing when I insufflate, whereas otherwise it'd mess me up too much.

But yeah, doctors aren't an option since this isn't a script so neither is methylphenidate in the foreseeable future :( I'm not actually worried though, I just want to see if there's anything to it since the symptoms are so similar to what happens when I ingest dairy. That said, I would feel WAY worse if I had a sip of milk or a slice of cheese. What I feel when I take adderall orally is comparable to the mildest reaction that I'd actually notice. The only thing that's worse is the lack of appetite but I mean I am on an amphetamine. It wasn't even something I gave any thought to until I noticed how much better insufflated adderall is physically. Either way, the positives far outweigh the negatives for me, the stuff has turned my life around in more than one way without feeling addictive, which is crazy since I abused too many substances to list before I started using adderall.

Funny that you mention NMDA antagonists though since the entire drug class is my collective DOC, lately I've been using them a couple times a month, and I forgot about their tolerance reducing properties. Definitely explains why my benzo tolerance has been absurdly low lately.

Yeah, but at least when it comes to food allergies, I have to have it hit my digestive tract to get symptoms. I don't really react to milk immediately at all, never get a rash of localized swelling, it's all generalized after the milk starts to get digested. I have contact allergies to latex and bananas (I think bananas are just oral allergy syndrome though) and those only cause contact dermatitis, so reactions can be significantly different for me depending on the allergen. And when I insufflate I do it slowly and carefully and get very little if any drip.

Edit: meant to quote kittycat

I did start pondering the lactose allergy after I posted. I am not sure of the entire cascade of action that causes it however. Wasnt not believing you, just throwing ideas out.

Theoretically, the drip is nothing but the drug being digested orally. So if you can insuffilate without a drip, that's great.
I'd also look into the coating of the XR's. Latex may be an ingredient; I don't know. Is there any difference reaction-wise, between the XR and the IR?

Well I'm definitely allergic to latex. I've only noticed mild contact reactions with latex, but then again I've never tried to ingest the stuff lol. I'll try to find an ingredient list and check it out. I have gotten really good at insufflating and get little/no drip now. Plus the powder containing most of the filler is heavier and I think if any powder gets in my throat, it's usually the lighter, white one. I can tell because they taste very different.

I have to try irs on their own to see if there's a difference, unfortunately it costs me 3x more per mg for ir pills (I don't have a script) so I usually end up crushing 30mg xrs instead. When I take them orally, I do 30mg xr plus 10mg ir. I've recently done 10mg ir alone with tums to potentiate and I think I was fine, but that's a low dose for me anyway, it's not even stimulating, so I just didn't feel much at all.

Last edited:
I did start pondering the lactose allergy after I posted. I am not sure of the entire cascade of action that causes it however. Wasnt not believing you, just throwing ideas out.

No worries, I didn't take it that way anyway. Just figured further clarification would be good because my food allergy symptoms differ from other allergies so much that it took years to diagnose it in the first place. I'm likely lactose intolerant on top of having a milk allergy too.

I also wanted to add that this wouldn't be the first time I've reacted to an inactive ingredient. DXM gel caps have always made me feel sick whereas I've been fine with the syrup. I don't know if it's an allergy, but it's definitely not the dxm hbr that my body doesn't tolerate.

Thank you for the clarification. Aside from personal experience and chemical education, I try to throw in a small 'fear' aspect in what I write. I hope you understand that this was in no way an implication, but a mere reminder, just in case.

Most people who really like prescription uppers, whether it be substituted amphetamines or methylphenidates, find a way to get a script. In no way am I suggesting that buying illictly in the right route, but I never started abusing them heavily until I recieved my own script.

Insufflation does have a higher bioavailability, but it'd will leave quicker. But adjusting to an allergy seems logical. If you ever come across a scale, you'll see that, say, a 30 mg tablet weighs a lot more than 30 mg. XRs happen to weigh a lot less, but still over. If you are keeping it low, it shouldn't be a problem. It's when the comedowns start to become noticeably worse that a break is due. But I have major respect for you -- you are respecting a drug that can have serious positives and even worse, in due time, negatives. I';m not one for advocating self-medicating, but it seems that you are doing okay, taking a lot less than what a Doctor would give you.

Yeah, I still take certain NMDA antagonists. It's also a good idea to get some blood testing, to make sure you are okay with all natural vitamins and minerals. When I stopped, my magnesium level was waaaaay low.

One last thing -- I'd look into ethnobotanicals, ones that help with ADHD. Some are stimulating like Country Mallow, others are more calming. But it would be something to do a bit of research. If you're looking for something to help with the ADHD, but also something that provides euphoria, there are many options.

What you're describing can happen as side effects from moderate or high doses of Adderall.

It does not matter the route of administration as you're still taking the drug either way. It's best not to snort pills as they have binders in them, and it's best to just take them orally instead.