• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

MIGRAINE(S)! What Barb: Besides Butalbital?

suckmydrugs

Bluelighter
Hey all! ?

Firstly: I just wanted to say that I miss you all! Glad to see everyone is still here!
Bluelight for Life! ?????

Secondly: Back in November of 2016 (9 months ago) I was in a fairly awful fender bender where my head hit the steering wheel (airbags didn't deploy because, of course, lucky me; I had a recall edition Honda Fit ?) and the blow to the head certainly knocked me out cold.

Anyways; I started developing very intense migraines days & weeks after the crash which kept continuing for months where it got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore...
(blah blah blah — get to your damn point bro)

I was prescribed –––> Fioricet <–––
(Butalbital/Acetaminophen/Caffeine: 50mg/325mg/40mg).
And yes, that's correct! There's NO Codeine in there! Mainly because I'm allergic. Lol

Are there any other better Barbiturates other than Fioricet/ Fiorinal that are stronger, even if they make you drowsy? I don't care. As long as it works.
A Prescription that can be switched to... You know what I mean? I just feel like the Fioricet isn't working as much, maybe because of Tolerance BUT I do know there must me SOMETHJNG else out there. I just need some ideas is all. Thank you!

{[{[Side Note: No suggestions for opiates please.]}]}?????????????????

...Prescriptions I have tried for Migraines that failed miserably...

I've literally tried the ENTIRE Family of Triptans!
Imitrex (sumatriptan)
Maxalt (rizatriptan)
Amerge(naratriptan)
Frova (frovatriptan)
Zomig (zolmitriptan)
& even RELPAX (eletriptan)!
Noooooope. No Thank you.

Then I tried Topmax (Topiramate) which gave me rebound headaches. I even started out on the lowest dose of 25mg & worked my way up as instructed, but it just did not cooperate with my brain. It also makes me act and feel like coming down off a crack high or something strangely similar... ? ?♂️

Afterwards, I tried Inderal LA (Propanol Long-Acting 60mg) which is actually mainly used for High Blood Pressure, which I DO HAVE, but I was taking Atenolol 50mg twice daily for that... can't be on both obviously. Don't want my CNS to just say to me "Bye Felicia!". You know?

Finally & last but not least; I tried Elavil (Amitryptaline); started out on 25mg. Then got bumped to 50mg. I don't know much about TCAs, but here's the strangest reason of why I didn't like it... because when I was taking the Elavil at night before bedtime, it would knock me out quickly & I'd sleep like a baby! I hadn't experienced that since I was 12 years old. Sixteen years ago! It was an amazing feeling to be able to sleep throughout the night without waking up once or being restless. The only issue was; all of the sudden my Klonopin was no longer working OR its potency had DRASTICALLY DECREASED! Which was INSANE to me. It made zero sense to me whatsoever. Can TCAs mess with potency & efficacy of Benzodiazepines?
Good gød I hope not. I really hope that was just a weird coincidence.

(and obviously I've tried all of the over the counter crap to zero relief)

If you'd please let me know what you think, if anything whatsoever, then please feel free to hit me up. It's much appreciated and exceedingly grateful!

I'd certainly ?LOVE? to not go through these insane, intense, sight-blinding, ear-drum bursting, neck breaking, blood boiling & extremely irritating gøddamn Migraines ever again; or at least get SOME kind of better relief!

Thank you!

✌️??

</SuckMyDrugs>

I was actually prescribed those when I was in my 20's and I thought they worked pretty well. One of my problems with the med was that quickly increasing tolerance became a real issue.

Over decades of headaches, the protocol I've developed through trial and error is to first off make sure I'm not dehydrated. I will usually drink at least 16 ounces of water. Next I take 800 - 1000 mg of Ibuprofen. I also take a caffeine tablet (note: Fiorinal has caffeine in it as well). Lastly, if I'm particularly stiff or sore, I pull out the heating pad. Usually but not always this will slow the pain down or reduce it to a manageable level. I realize this has no magic pill or formula to it but over the years it has helped me more times than not. Can't hurt to give it a shot, eh? I do wish you luck OP!

I also have suffered from migraines headaches and been on foricet and found that pretty effective. I have chronic daily headaches so I had to take them daily and after a couple months they were no longer effective. The worst part was having to detox off the foricet so basically I would take two months detox pff for two weeks then stay off a month and get back on and continue cycle I don't know of any other barbiturates but have you tried duradrin this is also very effective it does nor have a barbiturate but has a schedule four medicine of chloral hydrate. Maybe you try it.

Oh wow! Why didn't I think of that? Dammit!
Lol nicely done. I'll have to definitely do some research and hopefully my PCP will agree to switch me... although my migraines have been improving with a higher dose of Inderal LA (propranolol). So, we'll see! Thanks bud.

Testosterone shots ultimately cured my migraines. A study I looked at had incredible results for women but it's not something thats even going to be on most drs radars.