• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Might have to go from MS Contin to Hydrocodone. What should I expect?

FunctionalJnkieGal

Greenlighter
I've always preferred extended-release oral morphine. I hear that Hydrocodone is about as potent as morphine (I beg to differ though). What I liked about morphine was how long it would keep the withdrawals at bay. I rationed myself down to 1/4 of a 15mg pill a night before bed (I use a pill-splitter). That being said, if I acquire 10mg hydros, how effective would it be? I'm mainly concerned about how long it lasts as opposed to morphine? If I were to take half a 10mg hydro (5mg's) a night, would that be a big change from 1/4th of a 15mg morphine tablet a night? I'm hoping its long-lasting like morphine given I can take just a quarter of a pill now and get decent sleep, so hopefully half a hydro won't be a significant change. Also--I still would take 300mg of ms contin once a month as a treat, but I try to keep my daily dosage as low as possible to soften the blows of withdrawal if I quit.

The hydrocodone lasts 4-7 hours, which is why the morphine equivalency when compared to MS-Contin/MST Continus/Vendal &c needs to be me multiplied by two or three. I was pleasantly surprised going on to Vicoprofen and then Vicodin 15/325 from Vendal and immediate-release dihydromorphine a number of years ago. There is also a much greater relative effect from potentiators like cimetidine, grapefruit juice, antihistamines and so on . . .

So the 10 mg hydrocodone will probably be better than 3.75 mg of morphine (if you are using a pill cutter on the tablets, you are probably getting a combination extended and immediate-release effect too), and you may even be able to cut the hydrocodone in half . . .

It won't be a big difference at such small dises. But your monthly treat will be a lot less enjoyable. Take a half for better effect

I plan on taking just half of a 10mg a night, right before bed. As long as I can get at least 4.5-6hrs of sleep on that, I won't be too disappointed. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I plan on taking just half of a 10mg a night, right before bed. As long as I can get at least 4.5-6hrs of sleep on that, I won't be too disappointed. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

In that case, it may be helpful to wash it down along with some cimetidine with Alka-Seltzer Cold Medicine, and the NyQuil gel caps do a serviceable job too though the liquid NyQuil mixed with something carbonated is even better. There are gel caps of the Alka-Seltzer Cold Medicine too, but you will miss the carbonation and sodium bicarbonate helping out. It will help with that amount of sleep, and you may also fall right asleep and wake up 90 minutes later "high as fuck" as it says on the label and in the Physicians' Desk Reference, Mosby's and Martindale's then get back to sleep as soon as you want, for the rest of the night. At a minimum that is a good protocol when one has the flu or a bad cold.

If you wind up with surplus hydrocodone tablets, taking enough to get 30-45 mg at a time is even better than morphine in my opinion, caeteris paribus, showing that hydrocodone is especially scalable in this respect. If you are able to handle 300 mg of MS-Contin at once, maybe even more hydrocodone than this, but that is getting into territory where Cold Water Extraction may be helpful . . . A long time ago I used to do enough Vicodin, Panlor, or Tylenol With Codeine Nº 3 or 4 to add up to 3000-3600 mg of paracetamol once a week on Thursday night and nothing else as I would use a set of potentiators containing a modest dose of naproxen instead of more paracetamol, and then plain dihydrocodeine extended release the rest of the time, but that could also make other people sick.

Last edited:
^ You need at least 800mg
Cimetidine to have an effect.

But raising ph defiantly helps, although for her purposes a little sodium bicarbonate with 5mg hydro and an anti-histamine would be great for sleep.

But you are just not going to get much off of 5mg, except if your used to taking it as a sleep aid, I guess

Good post though, Nico-M :)

I tried to like your post, don't know if it went through?

Yes, that's correct -- note that even if the cimetidine comes in 200 mg tablets in the boxes at the supermarket or drug store, the most common prescription strength is 800 mg -- big green tablets like they give to horses

Yes, they RX 800mg tablets. I've always just taken 3-5 of the 200mg tablets. White grapefruit juice was a must when I was abusing methadone and clonopin

I have literally woke up high ?

I was gonna take it with a capful of ZzzQuil (which is basically Benadryl with alcohol) and a couple of ZzzQuil Melatonin Gummies. I normally would take that with morphine anyway. It was part of my nightly regimen. I hope it helps with hydros too.

I was gonna take it with a capful of ZzzQuil (which is basically Benadryl with alcohol) and a couple of ZzzQuil Melatonin Gummies. I normally would take that with morphine anyway. It was part of my nightly regimen. I hope it helps with hydros too.

That will be very helpful . . . adding a gel cap of 30 mg plain dextromethorphan will also add some potentiation and will slow down development of tolerance