• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Microcrystalline Cellulose pills. How to break it down?

Mkdruggie

Greenlighter
I have these pills that have microcrystalline cellulose in them causing them to gel up. This makes plugging/boofing them hard but not impossible. it just slows absorption and im sure its affect the ba of the drug. Id just take them orally but the oral ba of the drug is like 30%.
so im wondering if anyone has information on breaking down this cellulose or a way to dissolve the pills and plug them. any information would help.

Might not be the simplest route, but cellulase enzymes will degrade cellulose into glucose (one way of measuring their potency is by measuring how much they reduce the viscosity of microcrystaline cellulose).

These look relatively cheap and consumer available, (you would want ones that should be refrigerated). You would make a solution with a small amount of enzyme then dissolve your pills and heat to 55°C. They should break down the cellulose into glucose making it non-viscous. I am not sure if the glucose would be bad long term for plugging wrt altering your gut flora, but separating the compound from the glucose could be done with an acid base extraction (if it's an alkaloid).

Is this for those 24 hour oxycodone formulations? The bioavailability is notably lower than the 12 hour formulation.

If you just throw them into 500mL of boiling water, they don't end up too viscous to drink and as I keep pointing out, you WANT to take oxycodone orally so it can undergo first-pass metabolism wherein 10% of it is converted to oxymorphone which is x10 more potent than oxycodone itself.

Yes, the plasma level ox oxyCODONE will be higher if you go via a parenteral route but you bypass that essential first-pass metabolism so far less oxyMORPHONE is present.

I have often wondered if that is why Perdue figured that oxycodone wasn't as abusable as it turned out to be because the area under the curve is largest if you just swallow those 12 hour formulations. The 24 hour formulations aren't so good but if you drink 125mL every 6 hours, you will get the most from the pills.