• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) High Persisting Long After Use?

jack10

Greenlighter
I'm prescribed Ritalin (Methylphenidate) for my ADHD to aid with concentration in college. After taking my dose (10 mg) I'll experience the usual euphoria and concentration effects of the drug followed by a moderate 2-3 hour comedown. However after the comedown I'll start feeling the euphoric rush again but without re dosing. This euphoric can persists up to two full days without re dosing!! Yesterday I took 30 mg in the evening and woke up today in a very good mood :) The effects have lasted all day with no sign of any change. At one point I didn't take the drug for half a month and noticed the euphoria lasted an entire week and never really went completely away. Now of course I'm not complaining! but this has made me question if this is a typical effect of the drug? I've found the more intense the comedown is, the longer this long term euphoria lasts. Is this a normal response to the drug?

op said:
Is this a normal response to the drug?
not in my experience and considering the half-life of the drug there is no reason to believe the drug is responsible for whatever it is you're feeling.

If a person has an underlying bi-polar it might as well happen. Idk about how well this ADHD had been diagnosed as some get diagnosed during one visit and others need to get plenty of tests done so it could be misdiagnosed.

Plenty of people suffering from bi-polar tend to get mania/hypomania if their sleeping patterns get messed up and taking a stimulant will do that.

Also if someone can go through not using their ADHD drugs for half a month without degrade in their performance they probably don't have ADHD. Just a note as I don't know more about OP's situation.

^Interesting take. It's not something that even crossed my mind, but it makes a lot of sense. When people with bi-polar issues abuse stimulants, it can really throw them out of balance and induce mania or depression more severely than if stimulants hadn't been used.

I met a woman who was bi-polar one time who had an ongoing crack Cocaine habit. While most people were experiencing the comedown phase after the drugs had run out, she seemed to be stimulated as ever.

I just thought I'd post a quick update. It has now gotten to the point where 5 mg oral methylphenidate dose has the same effect as a 20 mg dose used to. For some reason my tolerance appears to have gone down dramatically (even lower than pre-treatment levels!). The possibility of bipolar has crossed my mind however I have never experienced any depressive episodes in my life just this occasional and recent persistent euphoria. I forgot to mention I recently started taking Ginkgo Biloba supplement which has resulted in vivid dreams and improved memory. I also read some papers which stated low doses of Ritalin can result in long term sensitization and sensitivity to the drugs effects. Maybe this is what is occurring? I will note I have experienced some moderate episodes of euphoria in the past before I ever started taking stimulants but never to this extent. Now I don't want to discuss this with my shrink as Ritalin is my academic life support. Without it I have the concentration span of 5 year old.