• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Methylphenidate Induces Dopaminergic Neuron Loss In Basal Ganglia.

Bravoncius Roxford

Bluelighter
Methylphenidate is now officially a neurotoxin, at least according to this study: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...med/22470460&usg=AOvVaw1Pkhb2MO9XaRqz7LIs3TTP

Methyphenidate is a potent dopamine and norepinephrine(IC50 = 23 nm) reuptake inhibitor used for narcolepsy and ADHD, and, non-medically, as an euphoriant(especially by nasal aspiration and injection). It potently inhibits both the dopamine and norepinephrine transportes, but it is also a potent VMAT2 inducer as well. This tops the monamines from being pumped back into the cytosol, where the lower PH allows for less reactivity with oxygen. allowing them to remain in the synpatic vesicles causing damage.

The implications of this stody for humans are unknown. Humans have much higher levels of antioxidante enzmes than rats(which is one of the many reasons why we live much logner). However, consuming large amounts of MP for many years might increase the risk of Parksinson's. Maybe we shouldn't be giving school children potent dopamine reuptake inhibitors from a Young age just so they will sit still in class? Maybe we should try a less radical approach?

The implications of this stody for humans are unknown. Humans have much higher levels of antioxidante enzmes than rats(which is one of the many reasons why we live much logner).
Interesting, didn't know this. One more factor about that animal experiments aren't one to one applicable to humans / other species.

However, consuming large amounts of MP for many years might increase the risk of Parksinson's.
How much of a difference does it make whether one starts / uses MPH at a young age, when the brain is still developing, in contrast to adults who start using at 20+, either as sort of study aid or for adult ADHD (I got this diagnosed myself, at the age of 24, and started with MPH but didn't take it regularly for longer as I disliked the body load and "enforced" kind of focus. Now I am on lisdexamphetamine which feels more natural, yet still has a low dose window between no effects and subjective of too much [headache, tension]).

However, consuming large amounts of MP for many years might increase the risk of Parksinson's. Maybe we shouldn't be giving school children potent dopamine reuptake inhibitors from a Young age just so they will sit still in class? Maybe we should try a less radical approach?
Yeah. Like accepting that humans aren't or can't be standardized like tech products, stop focusing on efficiency as the only goal and so on.
It's kinda weird that kids are forced to take MPH and (apparently?) many / most dislike the effects of the medication, while adults are taking it willingly and illicitly. Why don't children become more chatty and active on MPH while adults usually do (I don't get this effect usually on MPH, only when dosing too high and it's a pretty dysphoric, forced and tense sort of energy. But I've seen it in others.)