• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Methylphenidate/Concerta extended release with DXM/Robitussin

reyn4

Bluelighter
Hi, I've just been prescribed two bottles of Robitussin along with desloratadine pills for my cough that has been around for more than a month.

I have told my doctor that I am on 36mg of Concerta. When I arrived home to check for interaction with my meds, I found out that there are multiple risks involved with taking DXM and stimulants. Though the people sharing their knowledge were talking about cases where the user was taking DXM in recreational doses.

My question is:
Can I take the prescribed cough syrup (3 per day, 7ml dose, so around 10mg of DXM per dose) safely and without worries? If not, can I at least take the cough syrup after the 12-hour expected substance life of Methylphenidate? That being around the time I would go to sleep today. If you also have any knowledge about desloratadine pills not being ok to be taken in this situation, please let me know.

Hope someone can shed some light here.

You'll be fine taking normal therapeutic doses of DXM, especially only 10mg every several hours which is on the lower end.

the antihistamine is fine as well

Recreational doses of DXM changes its pharmacological effects and it starts acting potently as all sorts of things in the brain, particularly on serotonin and NMDA (iirc), which is why it's dangerous. There is a big pharmacological difference in say 30mg and 300mg of DXM.

Last edited: