• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methylphenidate and tolerance reduction

kgxp

Greenlighter
Hey guys. So recently I've started treatment with methylphenidate, using medicinet. It's similar to concerta. I am taking it nasal way as orally it doesn't work at all. My problem is, that after a few days, my regular dosage stopped working. I took break from taking it but it didn't help at all. I read that DXM could be helpful in reducing tolerance to methylphenidate or cause reverse tolerance. I will grateful for any advise.

from what I've read, DXM potentiates the effects of methylphenidate in children. so Idk how it would work.

if you try it, let us know. I'm sure someone on here will have taken both.

I will buy some DXM tomorrow and start my treatment. Do you think that it could only works in children or adults too?

I will buy some DXM tomorrow and start my treatment. Do you think that it could only works in children or adults too?
I don’t know really. I would think there’s a reason it says children. Do a little research and do what you feel comfortable with. I know children react differently to many drugs, for example you can’t give aspirin to kids but it’s fine for teens and adults. @deficiT may know. He seems to be well-versed about most things. Or @Nurse Ratched.

Keep us posted as to what you decide and the results. I’m interested to know. I’ll do a little research this morning and see what I can find.
Hopefully other Bluelighters will chime in.
😎

Talk to your doctor.
They’ll raise your dosage and if that doesn’t work, probably switch you to a medication that does.
Don’t snort your medication and certainly don’t start mixing an NDRI with DXM.

LINK

☝️ here is the link for the article I read. May provide more info.

If you’ve already tried it, let us know what happened so we can help other Bluelighters in the same predicament. 😎 @kgxp

Read the study, you should NOT be recommending this to anyone.
See below:
Conclusion: Following the trial, DM+MPH was not superior to MPH alone for the treatment of children with ADHD, yet DM may potentially have negative effects on ADHD symptoms when combined with MPH

DXM definitely works,. It does not just potentiate but also keeps tolerance down. With concerta alone I'd get benefits from the lowest dosage of 18mg for two weeks or so, then I'd have to up the dose or just keep dosing for not to get withdrawal (tiredness) but when combined with 100-150mg DXM the same dose of 18mg kept me up and running for months. Had even to stop because of overstimulation, with Ritalin you shouldn't have this problem because you can dose lower than 18mg. But anyways I am pretty sensitive to stims, likely you'll need more than 18mg's.

Is it safe? I don't know. When you don't have cardiovascular issues it might be. I do think that sometimes potentiation is better than to increase dosage. But it's pretty un-researched ground.

Unfortunately I can't recommend to talk about that matter of combining against tolerance with the average doc, in the worst case you need to prove abstinence from drugs to continue with stim therapy or even get it denied completely. Exceptions confirm the rule.

I would think there’s a reason it says children
Not too long ago people thought ADHD was purely a children's thing, that's probably why.

But yeah, don't snort medicine. It works well orally.

Read the study, you should NOT be recommending this to anyone.
See below:
I wasn’t recommending anything. Only providing the article I started reading about the topic. I reiterated that I don’t know the answer.

Providing an article for someone to read is hardly “recommending” anything.

Sorry for not responding, I had some problems with internet connection. My doctor already prescribed me the highest dosage she can, it's 60mg per day. I've discovered that methylphenidate is working for me when I snort around 100mg and my personal limit is at 200/220mg.

Snorting is no sense. I do believe that it hits but the only thing I would really consider snorting was cocaine, meth ot MDMA.

What you're looking 4 is the peaks and you hate the valleys. I just got my first script of Methylphenidate which we started at a low dose 5 MG twice a day. I was on Adderall IR 20 mg twice a day but switched to Vyvanse and that gave me massive anxiety. Also my low dose I can feel it. Not like Adderall where you're euphoric 4 two hours. It is what it is. Soon you'll run out early and then it will send off a Red Flag eventually I promise you. I didn't make it to 38 by being niave. But also I'm not harping on you. I have the same problem but it's with pregabalin.

These forums are actually making the problem worse by exposing everyone who is taking drug incorrectly hence the Adderall shortage. I made up my mind to do the right thing. For my sake and children who actually have ADD ADHD. I had it since I was five. So freaking hyper. I don't have that type of energy anymore. My mind just races so my mind is twelve steps ahead of my body which is tormenting if unchecked. It doesn't surprise me that I liked meth so much. It got so outta hand that I completely almost died. Please for the sake of those suffering keep this between you and a buddy. Who knows the Goverment could be running these forums to look for negative things and make it harder on kids and paranoid doctors. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets taken down either. In no way am I trying to prevent someone to seek wholesome ideas and harm reduction. I'm telling you. Dr's gave their own forums where they search for stuff like this. So don't worry.

Last edited: