View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

methoxetamine + MAOI

For what it's worth:
Ketamine is safe to use with a MAOI [click here]

Old thread but Google sent me here while I research interactions between Ketamine and MAOIs (Parnate, in my case.)

Your post (like many of your others) is insightful, Solipsis, so thank you. But statements such as "_____ is safe to use with a MAOI" and every statement of interaction indicating safe use (with MAO-a or MAO-b targeting MAOIs) should be backed up by at least one scientific study.

NO wiki, whether bluelight or wikipedia, should be used as evidence that a drug combo is safe, especially when dealing with potentially lethal combos such as those with MAOIs. The bluelight wiki DOES have studies listed proving that ketamine and MAOIs are safe:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2271195 &
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6849728

They were not cited in Solipsis' post nor cited specifically in the wiki under the ketamine+maoi entry. I found them specifically by reading through the studies on the bottom of the page. Many people will not look for such studies and in cases where an error was made in the wiki entry, this can prove to be dangerous or fatal.

If you're taking an MAOI and you choose to ingest something without an explicit green light from a medical doctor, you and only YOU are responsible for the consequences! Don't let a typo, deprecated material or lack of research on your part put you or people you know in potentially lethal situations.

I can't comment on combining MXE and MAOI but start off extremely low and work your way up, AFTER you did your research and are relatively sure the combo is safe. MXE is in a gray area and you're unlikely to find studies on this combo, and anecdotal 'evidence' is no evidence at all when you're ingesting something that may very well kill or seriously hurt you.

If you only look around a little bit you will probably see that not that much definitive info is around and there is even a general worry about ketamine being sympathomimetic and not okay with MAOI's, but there are some cases of ketamine being used in people who take MAOIs at anaesthetic doses without problems. Similarly here they suggest cryptically that theoretically it is not entirely okay, but it can be done. And that is about anaesthetic dosage mind you...
I'd say that is encouraging, but I did word it very strongly to just call it safe, period.

But I believe MXE has significantly more potent effects besides NMDA antagonism, such as SRI effects which make it unsafe to combine with MAOIs. We know that there have been bad interactions from combinations involving MXE (and serotonergics apparently), while AFAIK ketamine has been combined extensively in recreational settings and medical settings...

Anyone wanting to combine dissociatives should still do their homework themselves and read as much as they can, especially people who take MAOIs. All that I would want to say is that ketamine gets my initial benefit of the doubt while other dissociatives like MXE, 3-MeO-PCP or the novel diphenidine ones do not. Nobody should take my benefit of the doubt as a reassurance that they are completely in the clear and I am probably entirely too unaware (and have been) that people rely on the judgement of I and some other BL-ers as if it were their GP's.

And yeah other sources given are still not a substitute for scientific studies, but awesome that you provided them.

So agreed.