Methods used to minimize steroid side effects

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
Hi all, I wanted to start a thread for people to share knowledge of how to minimize certain side effects which are pretty inevitable to steroid use.

Acne:
Acne is a huge side effect for me, I shower 2x a day and try to minimize it by creams / etc.
- i know accutane is said to be best but I’d rather avoid it.
Any advice? It’s all over my back. I’ve found that trying to balance hormones with a closely followed AI / shot dose to minimize this.
- Sustanon reeked havoc on my
Back not sure why.

Blood Pressure:
I’ve found that Fish Oil, CoQ10, magnesium and Spirulina may all help lower blood pressure and I take them all daily.

Insomnia:
I try to stay away from benzos due to their addictive nature but they work great.
Personally I take Melatonin / ashwaganda.
Kava is also an option but it can cause stress on the liver which may be bad when mixed with Orals.

Liver Health:

Research has shown me Choline and Inositol and Milk Thistle are 2 good options.

Gyno / ED Estrogen sides:

Arimidex has been my go to for this, I’ve read that French grape seed can help balance hormones, but I don’t believe enough to balance out heavy dose steroids.

Feel free to chip in! I could use some help w/ the acne problem personally

I’ve actually never experienced any of these ever really except with some insomnia from tren and dick problems from E2 but...

-Accutane for acne if it’s bad enough to bother you imo
-Weed for sleep
-TUDCA/UDCA for liver although probably not needed unless on a bunch of pre contest orals
-Nolvadex for first line gyno flare
-Adex/asin for E2 control

I’ve actually never experienced any of these ever really except with some insomnia from tren and dick problems from E2 but...

-Accutane for acne if it’s bad enough to bother you imo
-Weed for sleep
-TUDCA/UDCA for liver although probably not needed unless on a bunch of pre contest orals
-Nolvadex for first line gyno flare
-Adex/asin for E2 control

My acne is horrible but it doesn’t really bother me all that much which is why I’ve debated the accutane thing. I mean people at the gym may judge me because it’s a clear sign of steroid use but I really could care less personally, it would be nice to get rid of it though just for the sake of it.

You get the acne from AAS via several predominant causes: weakened immunity; changed skin pH; changes in sebum viscosity (fatty acid composition); increased sebum output blocking pores; and increased bacterial overgrowth, responding to all those factors and increasing the chances of pore blockage.

Sometimes something as simple as mildly acidifying your skin (eg using most Aveno skincreams - pH about 5 to 5.5) can help. Skin is naturally slightly acidic, to help control bacterial/fungal growth, and this helps explain why many recommend you should only wash affected skin with tepid water and avoid soap (which is alkaline) as much as feasible. Also because heat, soap and rough scrubbing of pores will all irritate them, causing them to produce even more sebum and clog.

You get the acne from AAS via several predominant causes: weakened immunity; changed skin pH; changes in sebum viscosity; increased sebum output blocking pores; and increased bacterial overgrowth, responding to all those factors and increasing the chances of pore blockage.

Sometimes something as simple as mildly acidifying your skin (eg using most Aveno skincreams - pH about 5 to 5.5) can help. Skin is naturally slightly acidic, to help control bacterial/fungal growth, and this helps explain why many recommend you should only wash affected skin with tepid water and avoid soap (which is alkaline) as much as feasible. Also because heat, soap and rough scrubbing of pores will all irritate them, causing them to produce even more sebum and clog.

Wow interesting about the pH of skin.. this actually makes a lot of sense and maybe is partially why my acne is so bad. I make it a point to use alkaline products and high quality shampoos / body washes.. I’ll have to try and change it up and see if it makes a difference

That’s cool, didn’t know that about skin but explains why a lot of products are acid based.

I did always have good luck with lye soap for acne though too when I did get acne but it’s been minimal for me for the past ~9 years after accutane

That’s cool, didn’t know that about skin but explains why a lot of products are acid based.

I did always have good luck with lye soap for acne though too when I did get acne but it’s been minimal for me for the past ~9 years after accutane

Did you have any serious side effects from accutane or is all that depression talk not true?

Tons of sides but nothing related to depression. Cracked skin, nosebleeds, nightvision took a hit. Mostly stuff from it drying everything out but never had any major acne since I used it. Used to have pretty bad acne and still have the scaring which retin-a has helped with a lot

Tons of sides but nothing related to depression. Cracked skin, nosebleeds, nightvision took a hit. Mostly stuff from it drying everything out but never had any major acne since I used it. Used to have pretty bad acne and still have the scaring which retin-a has helped with a lot

Thanks you’ve giving me a lot of good feedback appreciate ya, I might try and get on it if it doesn’t clear up this summer

Then how do you have patients if your not a Dr..?

Since several posts were conveniently deleted, my response was the most logical one. Simply “you don’t need to be a physician to have patients you’re looking after. Lots of healthcare professionals care for patients. Didn’t say anything about being the prescriber

Finasteride is usually the pharmaceutical prescribed for hair loss. Not sure if anything OTC would work
Thanks for the reply! And you're 100% right, you dont need to be a MD to have "patients". Im a Firefighter/Paramedic and I have patients I treat as well.

There are quite a range of topical products too now like high dose minoxidil, azelaic acid (anti androgen/DHT) and various topical anti inflammatory agents. I think I've tried most at some point without a great deal of success. Or at least, the success wasn't worth having sticky/gungy high maintenence hair and I couldn't be arsed to apply said stuff multiple times a day anymore.