• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Methadone

AdoptPassion

Greenlighter
Methadone

I have been on a super low dose (20mg daily) of Methadone for the last eight years straight. Most days I take one in the morning and try to take a second before 6PM. If I wait too late in the day to take, it keeps me awake.

I have a few questions as I am ready to get off of it. It has sucked the life out of me and while it helps manage pain, the side effects in the way I feel are not worth it. I am very dulled, not as passionate about life as before, (not close to suicide, just not who I used to be.) I lack focus and have become somewhat lazy if you will. I have a beautiful wonderful wife of 35 years and sometimes go 1-2 months at a time without sex. When we do have sex it is still great just not as often. My erections don’t last long etc.

I used to be passionate about keeping myself in shape, I am currently 25 pounds overweight and never would in a million years let that happen to myself. One of the most troubling things it, my lack of stamina, focus and drive in my business. I no longer push myself and spend more time avoiding work than actually doing it. I am slowing losing everyone around me in my business space and its because I don’t have the drive I once have and quite frankly they can’t depend on me.

While I would say it has been a miracle drug for me and I feel no high whatsoever when I take it – it is more like I cannot tell when I take it but I can tell if I don’t take it. I get restless joints, pain, irritable etc. The restless joint issue is the thing I cannot take the most. I cannot sleep, get comfortable etc. I have actually been that way my entire life. Methadone has fixed that but I am not sure its worth the cost of all of my other mental and physical problems.

I recently had surgery two weeks ago, when I woke up it was the worth pain of my life (I am 54). For an hour and a half they gave me 150mg of morphine and 150mg of I forget the name of it I will find it and ad it to the post. Nothing worked and I was begging to stop pumping dope in me and to numb my arm. They said they did and they can’t put anymore in it. (I had a torn rotator cuff surgery) Anyhow the nurse finally asked the anesthesiologist if she could put me on oxygen, once she did within 15mins pain was much much more tolerable. I have had 20 surgeries and I understand surgery pain, but this was crushing in everyway I can’t even explain. I would curl up in the fetal position and grab my arm.

I am going to my pain management doctor this week and start the dreaded task of coming off the Metadone. I owe it to myself to see if that is what’s causing my problems.
Will my system eventually restore itself as in respond to pain meds, mental aptitude restore, sex drive, sleep etc.?

Any comments of experience etc much appreciated. I realize this is a super low dose of Methadone, honestly I could use more to manage my pain but it is not worth it. Oxycodone, morphine does not work on me and only makes that much more I am putting in me and I just don’t want the risk that goes with it. I am light drinker, maybe two bottles of wine a week with the wife and a beer here and there. I did drink more before getting on the methadone. I am not interested in using pain meds recreationally. Not now anyhow, I need to get me back first.