• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Methadone withdrawals - wondering how long it's taken people?

Lola007

Greenlighter
I've been taking Methadone pills (prescribed) for about 2 years now. My doses have gone up and down - usually 10 a day but lately a lot less. I took my last two meds last Tuesday and am on day 6.

An amazing friend has helped me with giving me the "cocktail" of meds to eliminate withdrawals. (I can give you the info on what I've been taking if you want or need help) So what I have been worked amazingly! Only symptom I had was being extremely lethargic for about four days and had a few bad nights but actually slept last night and woke up feeling AMAZING!

My question is - from a lot of things I've read and heard that methadone withdrawls can take up to a month. Or some have said 7-10 days and then another 7-14 days. This is the first time I've quit so I'm scared shitless its gonna hit me like a week from now or a few days, and I'll be back to feeling like I was all last week. My friend keeps telling me it's b.s. and won't be that long but I know the half life of methadone and how long it stays in you. Has anyone had any experience with this? How long were your withdrawals? I feel fantastic today, have energy back and just feel almost normal. Is that good? Am I done? I mean I know about the PAW but as far as the nasty withdrawal what should I expect?

Thanks for any tips, suggestions, or wisdom you may have to share with me.

From what Ive heard, Methadone w/d plateaus at day 10 or 12 and lasts about a month.
But can still feel uncomfortable for awhile. Its varies from person I would think like anything else.

I'd be interested to hear what this "cocktail" is though. Glad to heat you're feeling better at any rate!! All the best.

Is the cocktail along the line loperamide, nyquil, cimetadine, etc?

From my experience I'd say that your WDs will be at their peak around days 6-10 in terms of physical things. By about 2 weeks you'll find yourself being able to sleep a lot better and by 4 weeks you shouldn't feel any flu, aches, chills or restlessness. Try chamomile tea too if you've not got that in your cocktail (it can really help with sleep and muscle relaxation, like a very watered down benzo)

My hat off to you man, sending love and best wishes.

My methadone wds peaked around days 6-11 then gradually got better. Sleep was the last thing to get back to normal but was just grateful for a few hours a night after 3 weeks.
After about 4 weeks was feeling ok.
Thing about methadone wds is the highs and lows. Some days I started to feel ok and tjought I was over the worst but then next day was fucked again.
It was a long drawn out process but id been on methadone about 17 years so that might have made it worse.
I tell you what though, it was the best thing I ever did, didn't realise how it was effecting me till I quit.
Felt better than I had in 20 years when I was done. Well worth it.

The 2nd week was worst than the first, the 3rd week wasnt as bad as the second and it was somewhere between the 3rd and 4th week that I woke up and felt fantastic.

Now what was in that coctail?

SoSo78 - if you don't mind me asking what improvements did you notice when no longer on methadone?

I was on methadone prob about 5 years but I transitioned onto OxyContin. Methadone wasn't cutting it for pain control. I felt drugged for about 2wks. in a horrible way. Anyway thanks. :)

After years in methadone I had become like a zombie, my emotions were numbed. I was never happy or sad I just felt nothing.
When I quit everything improved, sex life, work, relationship with friends and family. It was like I came out of hibernation.

Hello. It took me abt 1 month to get over physical symptoms and abt 3 months total to get over the sleeplessness and anxiety running through my body. I had been taking methadone for abt 7 yrs though and I abt 30-60mgs daily- depending on my pain level. Good luck to you. May I ask what your cocktail is because I am abt to quit taking Opana's and Oxycodones and would love to know any relief that could help me. Thank you:))