• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone vs oxy, hydro etc. for pain

My doctor told me that methadone was not an opioid. I almost laughed in his face. I'm a scientist with a PhD in chemistry and he knows that so he trusts my opinion. I didn't say anything though other than I will give it a try. Some sales rep in a tight skirt got to him. He's like 90 and not all there.

It is so hard to get opioids these days and stay on your doctors good side that I didn't want to rock the boat and argue without trying what he says.

I plan to ask him to switch me back but I just want this current bottle of methadone to work. It does...just not as well as I expected.

I also suspect he switched me to get me permanently hooked because he has seen how easily I go on and off hydro without getting dependent permanently. I hope that isn't why he did it.
That was my first thought, that he's done it to force you into methadone dependency. Whats everyone betting that he suggests an increased dose before suggesting a switch back to low dose hydrocodone, and that the dose increase is larger than it needs to be... Although, as others have said maybe a sales rep. got to him and hes trying to earn as many kick backs via specific drug scripts as possible before retirement.

That was my first thought, that he's done it to force you into methadone dependency. Whats everyone betting that he suggests an increased dose before suggesting a switch back to low dose hydrocodone, and that the dose increase is larger than it needs to be... Although, as others have said maybe a sales rep. got to him and hes trying to earn as many kick backs via specific drug scripts as possible before retirement.
....I can't do a dose increase because the side effects are so severe I can't even work on done plus I get no pain relief at even 15 mg where I'm nodding out and nauseous. With hydro I got relief with minor sedation and no nausea at all.

I just got switched to methadone and am finding 5 mg to not be anywhere near as effective as 10 mg hydrocodone for pain.

I have noticed pain relief like 6 hrs after taking the methadone though but still not that great.

This is my first time trying methadone. I thought it was supposed to be this great pain killer too but it seems to suck. Is this your experience? How would you contrast it's analgesic effects with hydrocodone or oxy and what would you say is an equal analgesic dose?

Also it makes me feel nauseous and loopy not a clean euphoric feeling like hydro.

I'm thinking of asking to get switched back to hydrocodone. Any feedback? Thanks
Anything is better than methadone, with less biochemical consequence.

Man, seriously get off that methadone. If you have chronic pain and will need opioids for life you’re fucking yourself up. You’ve jumped up 3 levels or so? That’s pointless. Hydro was working for you in small enough doses.

That Dr is incompetent.

I’d also say you’re gonna feel it coming off that too but I’m sure you know this.
Using methadone or buprenorphine either one will greatly increase, DOUBLE OR TRIPLE OR WORSE, your tolerance for short acting opioids. Be careful, don’t take methadone more than once per day. Once every other day is even better. The half life is 15 hours.