• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone taper UPDATE

radar3559

Greenlighter
As of Sept 22 I was on 10.5 grams(105 ml) of Methadone. I quit the program and used my saved methadone carries to do a at home taper. I got myself down to 10 milligrams as of early October and started to encounter some difficulties. I went to a different Dr and he put me on 6 milligrams for 10 days, 4 milligrams for 10 days and 2 milligrams for 10 days. I am half way through my 4 milligrams and an feeling OK. My taper was fast and I knew it would be hard but nowhere near as hard as going cold turkey. After i am done my 2 milligram 10 day script I should be OK. Im not sure but I hope so. The Dr will give me meds for sleep and anxiety if I need it. Here are my symptoms so far in the last 30 days:

-Insomnia
-depression (I cry a lot over the most mundane things)
-mild diarrhea (very mild)
-Not a lot of energy(lay in bed a alot. Could be more psychosomatic than physical.
-mild anxiety

NOT anything even close to full withdrawal. I can eat and drink a bit and have no RLS (restless leg syndrome) vomiting or cramps. I hope that when my 10 days at 2 milligrams is over I can start living my life again!!

It also feels amazing to have emotions after 2 years walking around like an unpredictable and miserable shell of my former self. I think that is the best thing about getting off opiates in general. TOO FINALLY FEEL AGAIN!!

That's really encouraging to read dude well done xxx

I've just been dropping mine (with med. supervision) by 5mg / month and have managed to get from 70mg -30mg where I'm now 'in a holding pattern' - with the silly season coming up I've just been given a pile of 'bridging prescriptions' to get me over the holiday period without the need for regular street heron use. Come the new year they have agreed to basically send me into freefall so with any luck I'll be methadone free and (hopefully) in a residential rehabilitation unit by early - mid spring.

It's been a slow process but after years of revolving door 'cold turkey' detox's from heroin, and all the eventual relapses I'm hoping that by going through this process this time I not only want to stop but to truly learn how to not start again, something that I've never been able to bang into my thick pudding of a brain.

That's really encouraging to read dude well done xxx

I've just been dropping mine (with med. supervision) by 5mg / month and have managed to get from 70mg -30mg where I'm now 'in a holding pattern' - with the silly season coming up I've just been given a pile of 'bridging prescriptions' to get me over the holiday period without the need for regular street heron use. Come the new year they have agreed to basically send me into freefall so with any luck I'll be methadone free and (hopefully) in a residential rehabilitation unit by early - mid spring.

It's been a slow process but after years of revolving door 'cold turkey' detox's from heroin, and all the eventual relapses I'm hoping that by going through this process this time I not only want to stop but to truly learn how to not start again, something that I've never been able to bang into my thick pudding of a brain.
When you get below 10 mls you will start feeling like your old self. I would suggest dropping 2 mls every 3-4 days and when you get down to 1 ml you should be all good too jump off. I posted a thread on a supplement called Ashwagandha wich is very beneficial to combat depression and anxiety that come with methadone withdrawal:)

Hey, great job Radar! We all support you. I'm in the midst of a Methadone taper myself. It's the third one I've done in my life, so it's nice knowing what exactly to expect from the process. I'm currently at 25mg from a high of 90mg. It's definitely difficult, but symptoms are manageable at the rate I'm going if I have some Gabapentin (Neurontin), Clonidine (Catapres) and Cannabis. This isn't really Basic Drug Discussion material though. I'm going to move this over to Drug Culture, which is a more appropriate location.

The most appropriate location though for something like this, would be your Blog. We all have blog features as a sweet perk for our membership here on Bluelight. You can keep us all privvy to how your taper is doing and it will end up in a more serialized format, rather than having your journey documented in sporadic BDD threads that will sadly, be forgotten and not seen within a matter of days or even hours. Your blog is much more permanent. We look forward to reading your entries!

Hey, great job Radar! We all support you. I'm in the midst of a Methadone taper myself. It's the third one I've done in my life, so it's nice knowing what exactly to expect from the process. I'm currently at 25mg from a high of 90mg. It's definitely difficult, but symptoms are manageable at the rate I'm going if I have some Gabapentin (Neurontin), Clonidine (Catapres) and Cannabis. This isn't really Basic Drug Discussion material though. I'm going to move this over to Drug Culture, which is a more appropriate location.

The most appropriate location though for something like this, would be your Blog. We all have blog features as a sweet perk for our membership here on Bluelight. You can keep us all privvy to how your taper is doing and it will end up in a more serialized format, rather than having your journey documented in sporadic BDD threads that will sadly, be forgotten and not seen within a matter of days or even hours. Your blog is much more permanent. We look forward to reading your entries!