• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone questions? please help

Kyleeatsbelew

Greenlighter
At what dose does methadone block the effects of heroin/opiates? im on 50 mg and ive read its anywhere from 50 mg to 80 mg that makes a blockade. So what dosage is it that does this? And if 50 mg is the blocking dose how long after taking my 50 of methadone can i indulge in other opiates? Thanks in advance

I could still feel a shot of H while on 75 mgs pretty descent. I really think it has to be above 100 mgs although I imagine everyone is different. One time on 130 mgs I felt a shot (double my normal amount of H for that time) for about 5 minutes lightly then it faded back into the methadone. I always thought the blockade effect was false premise. I think because when the methadone dose gets so high it is just too strong and makes it harder to get past it. Now I was never on subs, but was on methadone 3 times in 30 years (not on now) and from what I read from suboxone that truly has a blockade effect.

I think a person can OD trying to shoot up or take a larger amount of an opiate while on methadone, where as on suboxone may be safer in that aspect and will truly block an opiate. Careful using big doses of opiates on top of methadone.

Last edited:
^ That's pretty much inline with my experience too. A true blockade needs an antagonist or partial agonist, like in Subs to stop effects until a dangerous level is reached, which still doesn't produce much of a high.

Methadone mostly just blunts things as you climb through the 80mg range. It raises your tolerance so high, getting a big effect from even large doses just isn't the same, as your receptors are already working 24 hrs a day with methadone.

The danger of OD goes way up though when trying to get a rush from something, while still using methadone. It def shifts the safety margin depending on dose. Same goes with sedatives / benzos & methadone.

The real question is why are you still using if you're on methadone treatment? Obviously, your dose isn't high enough. Once you're on the correct dose you won't need or crave heroin. Yes, you'll miss the rush, but as long as your receptors are satisfied you will soon get over this. However, methadone won't really do shit until you're in the right mindset to stop using - and that is entirely down to you...

Agreed ^ for me I wanted to quit on my own, nobody forced me. At first I still wanted to use H now and then but there are people that don't have access to a clinic and I feel blessed that I do. So I have been trying to train myself to get used to the feeling of being comfortable like methadone makes me feel and stop craving that high. that high is what screwed up my life. But honestly I am on 50 mg and I noticed that when I used H it was not the same as before I was on methadone. You can feel the rush but it wears off fast.