• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Methadone or suboxone? Thst is the question!!!!

Deicide1212

Bluelighter
I am currently trying to decide if I should go on methadone, or Suboxone. I have been snorting Hydromorphome, on and off, for about 6 years. I started taking them due to chronic back pain, which led to surgery. I still suffer from back pain. It is time to get off of them for good, as they are doing a number on me, mentally and physically. I would be grateful for any help, anyone can give me, regarding this decision. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

Why the heck go on a substitute drug at all. Take a painkiller for your back pain that won't cause physical dependence.
Why go off hydromorphone only to switch to another opiate that will have the same dependency issues and which you'll then be stuck on instead. It's never made sense to me.

suboxone is the obvious choice ….if you have a stupid large habit and can’t survive the transitional period for the suboxone to work properly then methadon might be right for you…but I would say there is a third option and that’s possibly kratom, which may or may not work your you as a way to soften the wd

Why the heck go on a substitute drug at all. Take a painkiller for your back pain that won't cause physical dependence.
Why go off hydromorphone only to switch to another opiate that will have the same dependency issues and which you'll then be stuck on instead. It's never made sense to me.
I used to feel the same way. That it is just Governmemt dope. In my case, and I am sure with others as well, need something that is more regulated, and harder to abuse. I have tried, all sorts of non addictive pain medication, to no avail. I have a very strenuous job, and need a stronger pain medication. I also have a family to take care and cant afford to take a month off of work to deal with withdrawal. Trust me, it is not the ideal way, I would like to go, but I dont have a lot of options, at this point. Also, it will be easier to ween off of something more regulated, than being handed a bottle of 200 pills a month. I definitely do understand where you are coming from, though.

suboxone is the obvious choice ….if you have a stupid large habit and can’t survive the transitional period for the suboxone to work properly then methadon might be right for you…but I would say there is a third option and that’s possibly kratom, which may or may not work your you as a way to soften the wd
I have a large enough habit, that the withdrawal is bad enough, that I wont be able to work. When you practically live paycheck to paycheck. The options become very limited. I have thought about Kratom, but feel, I dont know enough about it. Are the effects gonna last through a 10 hour work day. With Methadone or Suboxone I dont have to worry about that kind of stuff. Also, I have heard that Suboxone does not work great, as a pain killer. My biggest issue is, that I cant afford to miss any work, due to withdrawal.

I used to feel the same way. That it is just Governmemt dope. In my case, and I am sure with others as well, need something that is more regulated, and harder to abuse. I have tried, all sorts of non addictive pain medication, to no avail. I have a very strenuous job, and need a stronger pain medication. I also have a family to take care and cant afford to take a month off of work to deal with withdrawal. Trust me, it is not the ideal way, I would like to go, but I dont have a lot of options, at this point. Also, it will be easier to ween off of something more regulated, than being handed a bottle of 200 pills a month. I definitely do understand where you are coming from, though.
My main concern would be that substitutes have tougher wds than regular opiates. So when and if you hopefully get your back sorted out (dunno what is causing your pain and whether or not you require back surgery at some point), and decide to come off the sub, you'll have a harder time of it.

I¨m just automatically assuming his doctor will not fill in scripts for him anymore. What would otherwise even be a reason to make such switch?

Go for buprenorphine. It doesn¨t lessen your quaity of lifemto a same degree than methadone. Yuo can switch up to matjadone later if ´suboxene doent¨s vut the cravings for oyu.

Dissociatives. They reduce tolerance to opioids and thus withdrawal, and are analgesic on their own. You can maintain on a low dose of hydromorphone plus e.g. the pharmaceutical memantine, or the research chemical drug deschloroketamine. I would advise to avoid methadone, its not bad but will put you deeper into dependence than anything before.

The only drug that will "cure" addiction is Ibogaine, which is illegal in the States If you can go to Canada or Mexico, I strongly recommend going to a ten day ibogaine clinic. There are three day clinics but they're not as effective. Ten day ibogaine clinics are nearly 100% successful. The fact that ibogaine is illegal in the US, and the fact that it's the only drug known to cure addiction, should tell you something very significant about the drug policies in the US!

My hunch is that ibogaine isn't "magic", at least not more so than any NMDA antagonist and some pharmaceutically mediated introspection. Unfortunately as @Julies1221 said, it's illegal in many western countries due to stupid, senseless war on drugs, and you need to have a healthy heart, it's cardiotoxic (arrhythmia inducing). There are efforts to separate the beneficiary from the toxic effects but sadly these primarily search to remove the trip which is probably crucial for the outcome.

But it should be possible to get a script for some boxes of memantine, can only repeat how effective it was.

methadone is only worse than hydromorphone.. whatever "reason" the hydro is taking a number on you for, you will probably say the same of any other opiate..
I am currently trying to decide if I should go on methadone, or Suboxone. I have been snorting Hydromorphome, on and off, for about 6 years. I started taking them due to chronic back pain, which led to surgery. I still suffer from back pain. It is time to get off of them for good, as they are doing a number on me, mentally and physically. I would be grateful for any help, anyone can give me, regarding this decision. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

I would certainly start with subs as they are much easier to get off of.

Please include endocrine treatment including testosterone level checks if your male and what a quality female endo recommends for a woman. Just be aware they may be figuring it out as they go. Also bi annual vitamin D tests.. trust me just looking out 4 u.

Please include endocrine treatment including testosterone level checks if your male and what a quality female endo recommends for a woman.
I wish the substitution docs would take this more seriously. I was lean all my life but now I have a belly like a pregnant woman and lost a good deal of physical strength, from three years of morphine/methadone in moderate dosages (600 / 60 respectively).

You could try kratom first if you want something that doesn't require prescription, it takes the withdrawal without being too much of an opioid itself (it's less bad on the hormones but will still have an impact). Or pregabalin, and if you have a good doc, maybe he prescribes you memantine instead - unfortunately while it definitely works (would say it saved my ass because I wouldn't stand a cold turkey if not the last chance), probably because of the relatively low dosages used for Alzheimer's, its currently only approbation, the papers show only marginal benefits on methadone dosage.