• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone & Coffee .?

Pill__Head

Bluelighter
So I take me daily Methadone dose in the morning ( or when I wake up ) , most always on an empty stomach, expect for coffee. Now I'm pretty sure I recall reading somewhere that more acidic environments ( in your stomach of course ) generally slowed / lessened the absorption of opiates/opioids.

Given that coffee can be pretty acidic, esp. darker coffee ( may be as low as 3 on the pH scale ), and I like mine real dark, boys.

For whatever reason I've always wondered to myself, does my drinking usually 2-3 cups of coffee before dosing my Methadone most every day actually effect the absorption or anything else?8(

..I realize I may be over-thinking this whole situation, but what can I say, I would like to get every possible mcg of methadone into my blood out of the handful of the little pills that I can! :\

Also, FYI I take the 10mg tablets of methadone HCL.

thanks guys, %)

Its not gonna do much to something like methadone mabye morphine or hydromorphone which doesn't get absorbed week through the stomach but methadone the Bioavailability of oral use is so high that coffee won't be affecting if much if any.
If it makes you feel better though just wait till you dose to enjoy a hot cup of Joe so you know you are getting the most possible from your methadone.

I've been wondering the same thing. I notice when I drink coffee before my dose, I don't 'Feel' it as much. But when I take mdones on an empty stomach with no coffee I feel it more. So most the time ill just wait to drink my coffee til my methadones kicked in. And this way I get more of a buzz.

I just did some research into the pH affecting methadone dose. It favors an alkaline environment and from what I read the oral bioavailability can range from 30-99 % depending on pH. The more alkaline your stomach pH is the quicker and more thoroughly it is absorbed

The half life is dramatically affected by urine pH. What amazed me is I read that you can pass 1/3 of your dose as unmetabolized methadone in your urine if it is at a low pH. I read that half life can be as low as 16 hrs and as much as 40 depending on an individuals pH.

My issue is my dose wears off when I sleep (I think due to fact that pH drops while sleeping). That's why I looked into it. Google methadone and urine pH and you'll see what I mean. Coffee and sugar create an acidic environment--I'd hold off until after dosing, and pop some tums before dosing!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.. yeah that seems to make since, though I dont think a cup of coffee before/after dosing is going to make a whole huge difference.

Probably not. However if you eat/drink a lot of sugar and acidic foods it can. I was honestly surprised that only a slight rise in pH can significantly lengthen the half life. I was always one to think "oh a couple tums or Tagamet won't make any difference". But strangely I swear my dose is holding me longer since I started the antacid thing. Of course Tagamet is also an enzyme inhibitor (one of the ones methadone is affected by. I forget offhand the name)

I was told by another BLer about the pH relationship and did my own research and was really surprised by what I read!

I personally take my coffee black, no sugary drink. But anyways yeah, Tagment works well at extending the half life of methadone. It is very noticeable for me..even though we are getting somwhat off topic, but regardless.

If you think and believe that it effects it that much then it is, but if you don't worry about and not a make a big deal about it then it won't. It is what you make it to be. I drink coffee before and after and notice no difference. Don't restrict yourself and put so much thought into it.hope this helps!

Methadone and Coffee are Godly together.

LITERALLY, there are 2 gigantic Coffee stands at my clinic with cream and sugar packets on the side...and ALMOST ever person takes a cup before leaving.

Methadone with Coffee/Iced Coffee/FRAPS! anything with coffee gioes GREAT with methadone.'

If they had a Methadone Frappuccino I'd be buying one everyday with extra caramel and mocha. :D

Methadone and Coffee are Godly together.

LITERALLY, there are 2 gigantic Coffee stands at my clinic with cream and sugar packets on the side...and ALMOST ever person takes a cup before leaving.

Methadone with Coffee/Iced Coffee/FRAPS! anything with coffee gioes GREAT with methadone.'

If they had a Methadone Frappuccino I'd be buying one everyday with extra caramel and mocha. :D
Oh! a methadone Frappuccino sounds awesome! :)
And you have a nice clinic if they offer coffee at your methadone clinic. Mine has a pop machine!! Who wants pop first thing in the morning with their methadone? I've never seen anyone touch that thing.