• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Methadone and wgf

axe battler

Moderator: SLR, EADD
Staff member
I plan on eating a grapefruit or 2 before my dose.
Is there a rough amount to the extent it potentiates?
I'm aware that it varies from person to person and grapefruit to grapefruit and even day to day, but surely there's a really rough amount? 25% stronger? Less? No??
I've done it before but I used cheap carton gf juice and I could not be seen drinking stupid amounts of it as my partner knew that it potentiates and wouldn't approve.
Any ideas???

Really, there are too many variables and that's why we don't have a hard and fast guide for dealing with so-called potentiators. I'm not condescending to you at all, but this question is probably asked once per week in one form or another. I wish there were a way to simply state clearly what the deal is, but then we run the risk of globalizing, which is obviously unsafe. I feel like you've read on the subject a bit so I'm not going to try to educate you here. Different parts of the Grape Fruit contain varying levels of flavonoids, which I believe are responsible for the enzymatic effects here. We don't know what your enzyme activity is like unless you have testing done to determine so. Otherwise it is entirely subjective, although one could argue that symptoms of Opioid intoxication like say pruritis are a possible benchmark.

I really feel like any information we could give you would ultimately not be helpful to you. We would all just be posting our experiences and because of all of these damn variables at play, this would not be of any practical use. To give you some perspective, there is a drug called Fluvoxamine (Luvox) that is known to cause higher levels of Methadone by inhibiting the enzymes responsible for metabolizing it. Even a drug with well-defined and precise dosage units still can vary hugely from person to person. Here's an article that might explain it better.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. There's nothing bad here, so we can leave it open for a bit for your benefit, but yea, we get this question a lot and this is my stance on it. Other opinions?

I would kind of like to make a resource or thread that we can all agree upon that goes over this and explains the whole Grapefruit-Drug Interaction thing so we don't have to keep fielding these threads?

Thanks man. Exactly as expected, too many variables ah play. Just thought with a margin of error of 20% either way may be possible, but it doesn't seem so.