• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone and the NMDA antagonism - is methadone also a dissociative?

moeburn

Bluelighter
I've been wondering a lot lately about the fact that methadone acts not only on the opioid receptors, but also "binds to the glutamatergic NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) receptor, and thus acts as a receptor antagonist against glutamate." (Wikipedia). Does this mean that methadone is also a dissociative, like DXM or Ketamine? I'm on MMT, and I've noticed that sometimes I can feel a dissociative effect in the first couple of hours.

If it is, I wonder what sort of long-term psychological effects this can have on long-term use, compared to that of a traditional opiate. On the few occasions that I attempted cold-turkey withdrawal, my mind felt like it had been in a coma for years and just woke up; I am not referring to the extreme emotions that one experiences during withdrawal, but rather suddenly becoming aware that I was emotionally numb during use.

Your thoughts?

NMDA antagonism =/= clinically significant dissociation. Memantine is an Alzheimers treatment and a NMDA antagonist, but at doses given for the management of Alzheimers it does not produce any dissociation. For methadone, one isomer (d-methadone) is a NMDA antagonist where as the other (l-methadone) is an opioid. I would be surprised if you noticed any dissociation from your MMT. It sounds more like general opioid-clouding to me? Methadone can be particularly bad for that, especially long-term.

Yeah, I honestly have never felt any dissasociative effects from methadone, and I've taken dosages ranging from 2.5mg-300mg. Obviously the higher the dosage, the more sedation you get, but I've never felt any DXM like intoxication from it. What dosage are you on?

I don't know much about the science behind it, but I do know that methadone is not considered to be a dissociative. And I don't know of anyone who has ever experienced dissociative effects from methadone. The effects of dissociatives include sensory dissociation, hallucinations, mania, catalepsy, analgesia and amnesia. I've never heard of methadone having any of those effects other than analgesia (for people who don't have a high tolerance and aren't on MMT etc). Maybe if you took a huge dose and had no tolerance (and/or limited prior use of methadone) you might get a slight dissociative effect. I'm also not sure how accurate Wikipedia is. I'd look at the original source for better info. And binding to the NMDA receptor does not mean that it blocks glutamate, only that it lowers the amount of glutamate binding to that specific receptor (there are lots of other glutamate receptors).

It sounds more like general opioid-clouding to me? Methadone can be particularly bad for that, especially long-term.
Really? I was thinking the opposite. The longer you take it the less likely you are to experience such effects.

You know. I just smoked some FXE Fluorexetamine. A ketamine analogue in the arylcyclohexylamine family which includes pcp and all drugs in this family as NMDA antagonist. So I’m on a wiki rabbit whole and I click on NMDA Antagonist and there is it. Methadone. I’m also MMT at the moment. I quit blues aug 19 I was up to 140mg but I’ve taken over 300mg at one time I have loads of it that I bought in a diff country. Anyways I felt extremely happy I have no idea how methadone is an Nmda antagonist. When I did some more research they refer to one of the isomers D-methadone as a strong NMDA antagonist and it’s great for pain. I’m assuming as clinic goers we probably are getting a different isomer with weaker NMDA antagonism.

I went thru a rabbit whole dude. It started with 4fmph. Smoking FXE being like what the fuck, just happened and how it this more euphoric than blues. And then spent three hours reasearch if NMDA. It’s an excitatory function in our brain and I’m sure it’s probably filling out brains with calcium and glutamates as we withdrawal cold turkey. I don’t know this just a guess. As I know withdrawals usually have to do with down regulation of endogenous neurons and and increase of excitatory functions. That’s why Pregabalin might be helpful during a cold turkey withdrawal because it blocks calcium

Anyways I’m rambling now. Basically I see the importance of this NMDA receptor especially for nueroplacoty which is cool. However if it over reacts that’s when we feel like shit. So maybe methadone on top of being a full agonist helps block excitatory systems so we feel little to no withdrawal symptoms. I’ll be honest. Even at 140 I had to take a night time dose of 100mg for three days when I quit blues because I was still sick. Not I’m dying sweating a pool while shiver cold WDs. But I was full of anxiety. Nausea. Sweats. Cravings. It wasn’t until I went on an ssri Paxil plus these three days where I home doses that I was finally able to stop fucking blues

No I’m down to 70 and going down 5 every week. Cuz I’m not trying to be a lifer on methadone. I do way to many drugs that aren’t opiates that keep piping these stupid test and I can’t get take outs. Although I’m 100% opiate free. Just cuz I got coke or amphetamines from using adderal. I’m not responsible to handle my own doses. Fuck them. I literally have 1000ml in my house and except for that one time I never overdose on it. Waiting to get to 40 so I can leave the fucking handcuffs behind and just dose myself down.
Amazing medicine dispensed so wrongly. Also hospitals should use it for short detoxes so opiate patients don’t have to suffer. But no reprogram and if you don’t want to reprogram you suffer.

Anyways. Wow. 4fmph. Nmda FXE and methadone. I think the Mdone we get is a diff isomer with a weak Nmda affinity

NMDA antagonism =/= clinically significant dissociation. Memantine is an Alzheimers treatment and a NMDA antagonist, but at doses given for the management of Alzheimers it does not produce any dissociation. For methadone, one isomer (d-methadone) is a NMDA antagonist where as the other (l-methadone) is an opioid. I would be surprised if you noticed any dissociation from your MMT. It sounds more like general opioid-clouding to me? Methadone can be particularly bad for that, especially long-term.
Memantine is a dissociative at higher than therapeutic dosages, people having less tolerance than I do describe it (at maybe 100+ or even 200+mg) as a cross between K and DXM. Even at just 20mg there's some NMDA antagonism happening but not enough to be felt. I wondered the same about methadone, why it was so addicting when it should have an addiction prevention built in. But it's probably that dextromethadone is just such a weak dissociative that it gets overpowered by the opioid effects.