• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone and seizure meds

Derek42108

Greenlighter
I'm new here so I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right thread. I have been on 90mg methadone a day for about 4 years, i was just prescribed depakote(Divalproex) for seizures but I'm nervous to take it. My doctor said it would be fine to take it but she also gave me something before that the clinic freaked out and said it was a bad reaction. When I called the clinic this morning the doctor wasn't in so I couldn't talk to him about it. Does anyone know if this is a safe combination? I really need to start this medicine if it's safe to take.

do you know what the other medication was that the clinic freaked out about?
i don't know anything about depakote, but sometimes benzos are prescribed for seizures, and doctors can be reluctant to script benzos and opioids at the same time because they carry a risk of CNS depression.

i would hope that if your doctor knows you're on methadone, they wouldn't script you anything that is contraindicated.

my post is not very helpful, i'm afraid - but hopefully someone else will have a good knowledge of this to be able to give you a better response.

do you know what the other medication was that the clinic freaked out about?
i don't know anything about depakote, but sometimes benzos are prescribed for seizures, and doctors can be reluctant to script benzos and opioids at the same time because they carry a risk of CNS depression.

i would hope that if your doctor knows you're on methadone, they wouldn't script you anything that is contraindicated.

my post is not very helpful, i'm afraid - but hopefully someone else will have a good knowledge of this to be able to give you a better response.

I'm not sure what the other med was. It was for anxiety though, she also gave me 2mg Valium to take only if I feel a seizure coming on, so I'm thinking about only taking the Valium if needed until I can talk to the doctor at the methadone clinic.

yeah, you definitely don't want to have more seizures.
will you have to wait long to see the doctor?

I'm hoping someone on here may have taken this combination before and knows the effects