• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

methadone & alcohol. opinions??

smegk

Greenlighter
if someone takes 105 milligrams of methadone around 6am is it relatively safe to drink later that evening? i know science says it's very dangerous, but i would like to hear someone else's real life experiences.

isn't the maximum doasage 20 milligrams??

105mg?? i definitely wouldn't even smell liquor on that dose.

moving to the basic drug discussion.

105 milligrams is about a average dose.. do you know how serious drinking on that would be? reading the science behind it always makes it sound worse then i feel it would be.. SOMEONE please share their opinion/experience

Yeah 100 mg is somewhat of a high dose, not unusually high though. Methadone is considered one of the most dangerous for respiratory depression. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 drinks, and especially stay away from benzos. I've gotten drunk on every opiate except methadone and almost died from a large dose of heroin while blacked out drunk. Proceed with caution my friend, I would not get shit faced on that high of a dose of methadone.

For the sake of anyone who stumbles across this thread, 20mg is not the maximum dosage of methadone.

I wouldn't advise it because thats a good way to stop breathing. I also don't know your tolerance to either drug, I'm assuming since you took 100mg you have a tolerance to methadone?

It is very dangerous and you shouldn't do it. Methadone, being such a long-acting drug can be a little bit deceptive in terms of how truly intoxicated you are. It comes on slow and leaves slow. I have a theory that, aside from the fact that Methadone seems to produce comparatively more respiratory depression than other Mu agonists, the nature of the drug causes people to make decisions based upon the fact that they "feel" normal. The relative subtlety of oral Methadone might cause the user to redose unnecessarily.

An overdose from oral Methadone is not going to be a "lights out" type of things like doing a shot of Heroin. It will be a slow progression over several hours.

If I take a high dose of Methadone, like the one you take, with not tolerance, I will be pretty intoxicated for about 12 hours, but I'll wake up the next morning to an itchy face and I just don't want to get out of bed. I'm not fronting when I say that I've even nodded out the following day.

Drinking Alcohol or using other Central Nervous System depressants is contraindicated. What you've taken is a relatively large dose of Methadone. It's not oustide the realm of possibility that introducting Alcohol into your system could cause lethal respiratory depression.

Last edited:
sounds like youre gettting your hands on a friends take home or something? either that or doubling your normal dose? methadone isnt to be played with. its suuuuuper strong and lasts forever in your system. After quitting shooting a bundle + a day of dope i couldn't go over 80 without being zombied out. so if you dont have a hefty tolerance already that 105 could seriously kill you, and with how long done lasts theyll have to pump you soo full of narcan

The heck...?

In Canada, there is a government website [I think for Ontario] that states that 50mg is the LD/50 for Methadone.

I take that to mean that 200mg is probably when you might die, and a friend of mine said he once took 90mg instead of 30mg by accident [having confused mg's for mL's or something like that, and just slept deeply for 14 hours or something.

I get somewhat concerned looking into old threads and seeing information suggesting things that may be fine for people depending on their tolerance levels to this or that drug, but almost certainly is risky for people in general, occasional users, people who haven't used in months and thus have refreshed their tolerance, and so on. Even steroids have a term for this, I think receptor overload, but to the extent it exists, it seems to be reversible, the only question being how long that will take.

I don't intend to keep bumping old threads but if I see something like someone asking if 80mg of Oxycontin is ok to take with 10mg of Xanax, and not seeing a strong majority of Bluelighter's advising against it...I just may need to continue bumping old threads.

It's harm reduction here, people.

As for me...I am celebrating having only taken 5mg of Methadone in the past 7 days and feeling zero withdrawal thus far...leading me to believe I am in the post-acute phase. And my question was just whether or not two tall cans would ever be safe with Methadone, or if they would dull the effects.

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get past five drinks anyway, and DEFINITELY not past alcohol. Alcohol = yuck! JMO!

I am definitely a hypochrondriac, but I think to err on the side of caution is better than to take risks that could presumably end our lives.

Lol i know a guy who shoots 160mg methadone amps a day and has for 15 years. Tolerance plays a big part with opiates. 10mg wud probably get me fucked

Definitely be careful mixing any opiates with other cns depressants. If your on a script and thats your normal dose op then you should be fine with a few glasses/ beers .

If you have no tolerance ur asking for a death wish

I do it all the time, but I have always had a giant alcohol tolerance. I’m on 120 mg of methadone and quite frequently drink multiple beers or vodka drinks at night.

However, if you’re not a frequent drinker this can be very dangerous and I have passed out. If you do drink only drink 1 or 2 and take it be very slow my friend