• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

methadone after heroin wears off

BlackWizard

Greenlighter
Sorry guys i cant find the exact question i have... Lets say my friend smokes black tar... after that wears off he might be in a position where smoking isn't an option. Can i just pop like 40mgs or so of methadone to keep myself well? I don't want to waste either my tar or done, but i need to be well about every 5 hours. I have a 2 gram habit of strong tar, so i just want to know if i can take some dones when i start getting sick?
Im not trying to get high off the mdones, i just need to stay well sometimes, so wen i start to sweat poping some mdones would help my friend out so much!
thank you so much!

You really should be fine in this practice. Of course, it must be noted that dealing with high-dosages of Opioids are potentially dangerous and/or lethal, but to anyone using Opioids, this should be common knowledge. Methadone is most dangerous to individuals who do not fully understand the nature of the drug. It's a powerful Mu Opioid agonist just like Heroin/Morphine, but the major pitfall for folks is in an incorrect estimation of Methadone's timeline of effects. The onset of effect is typically 1-2 hours and in my experience, it can take as long as 5 hours to hit the drug's true peak.

There is also the issue that a longer onset and slower elapsed time to the peak of intensity can cause users to inaccurately estimate their level of intoxication. It's my and others' beliefs that this is the primary cause of overdose, although there is some information out there that also implies that Methadone itself causes a dose for dose higher degree of respiratory depression than other similar Mu agonists, but this appears to be conjecture.

You know your body the best, so just don't go overboard. I will say, that in many Heroin Maintenance programs in Europe, in which users receive a standard dose of Heroin multiple times per day in a similar fashion to a Methadone Clinic, it's common to prescribe coinciding quantities of Methadone in an attempt to keep the patient as stable as possible throughout the evening until they return for their morning dose. So, the practice in general has some clinical acceptance.

Are you getting high, maintaining or otherwise what combination of the two describes your current usage and how Methadone effects you when you take it?

If 2 Grams of BTH is your average intake, 50mg Methadone should be a pretty appropriate dosage for you. It obviously depends on the quality of the Heroin, but you could probably handle more Methadone. At any rate, 50mg should definitely keep you straight and functional.

MY buddy smokes a very high grade heroin (i quit IV about five years ago w/a couple relapses), so after around four hours he starts getting sick. Because of the high dose and quality of dope when WDs set in it is quite obvious and rapid. (If he were to take methadone as a morning dose to make it a full day 80-120 mg would keep me somewhat comfortable.) Obviously i don't want him to over doit, OD, or get wasted. but wouldn't mind getting a little high just not super fucked up. Just need to be able to function in front of people that are unaware such an addiction. Would you recommend dosing an hour or so before withdrawals set in so he doesn't wind up getting sick waiting for the mdone to kick in & get him well? And because of his crazy tolerance what dose of mdone would you suggest to keep him functioning/comfy? One last question, they have 10 mg mdone pills would chewing them up or taking them sublingually help speed up the process to avoid such a situation instead of dosing too early?
thanks so much

Chewing wont do much of anything. Not sure about sublingual. I have my doubts but would have to check.

Our rock n’ roll brotha here Ol’ Keif, laid it down spot on! ? I’ll speak from my own shoes and experience here when I say that 40 mg of Methadone will have you well, even with your habit of 2 grams a day of strong quality Black Tar. As you explained to us, your goal here is that you want to feel well, and to keep all withdrawals at bay. 40 mg Methadone with do the trick and do exactly that. As Keif said, Methadone has a longer time of onset and peak intensity as far as opioids go, so take 40 mg and give yourself about 3 to 4 hours, you should feel well and give the Methadone the opportunity to do it’s job and and find out just how long it’s legs really are. If you still legitimately feel sick and in are in withdrawal by the 5th hour after you’ve taken those 40 mg, add 10 mg of Methadone, you should be ok. Mind you, I was in your exact situation with this here in 2010, and I quit my 1-2 gram a day habit at that particular time of injecting high quality black tar with 40 mg of Methadone each day, and I infact successfully tapered down off of that with absolutely minimal withdrawal symptoms, with a stash of 10 mg Methadone pills over a one month time frame. I believe in you man. If this is your goal just do it and let us know how you feel!

Also it is with my experience that taking those 10 mg Methadone pills by either chewing them, or disolving them sublingualily will have no added benefit as opposed to swallowing them. As Keif stated they have a slow onset of action so simply swallow those pills and you shall be good to go.

All Right! Groovy guys, thanks a lot. I might be put in this position and sneaking off in to the bathroom for 20 mins smelling like dope just aint gonna cut it. I didn't wanna waste any of my mdones either cuz i plan on kicking myself, im building a pretty impressive arsenal (goin to groups and detox and all that stuff just wont work on me.)
So i appreciate all the advice!

If there are no other questions or issues you're having, I'll add that if you're looking for a faster Route of Administration in terms of your Methadone intake, the Rectal route is the way to go. I'm going include a link to a study conducted regarding the rectal administration of Methadone. Essentially, it cuts the onset time and time to peak effects in half without having a majorly significant effect on the total duration of effect, but you can expect maybe a 10% reduction in duration of effects based upon my subjective appraisal and experience of this ROA.

I can tell you that if I have the means and the time to do so, I won't take Methadone by any other route. It has major advantages over the oral route. You will generally begin to feel effects of the drug within 15 minutes or less and as I said, the time to peak is about half as long as the oral route. If you have any questions regarding the process of rectal administration, we'd be happy to help you and we actually have a lot of great resources here on Bluelight. Also, a simple Google search will provide you with ample information, as it's not a very complicated process. Crush pills, solute with 5ml - 10ml water, lay on stomach or side (gravity!), inject and remain prone for at least 5 minutes, but ideally, like 15 minutes or so.

The only true pitfall with rectal administration, is that it could potentially turn you gay, however, this appears to happen to only 30%-40% of patients involved. I've lost the link to the pubmed article stating such, but I can assure you, it's out there.

Methadone Rectal Bioavailability: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1884589/

Rectal Administration of Drugs: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ndy-Guide-to-Rectal-Administration-(Plugging)