• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Meth vs MDMA on serotonin levels

rizmatter

Bluelighter
I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

I want to try snorting crystal meth, but from a glance it seems to be more neurotoxic than MDMA?

MDMA is something i avoid nowadays because of the serotonin depletion, so i will leave trying meth if it is similar in the way it depletes the 'happy receptors' in the brain.

I get depressed for at least a couple of weeks off of Mdma so i don't want to fuck with that again

Last edited:
Well IMO meth is more neurotoxic than MDMA.

As from Psychonautwiki:
"Methamphetamine primarily affects the central nervous system (CNS) by acting as a releasing agent for neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. It also acts as a reuptake inhibitor, increasing levels of monoamines by forcing the neurotransmitters out of their storage vesicles and expelling them into the synaptic gap by making the dopamine transporters work in reverse.[15] Other mechanisms by which methamphetamine are known to increase monoamine levels are by:

Blocking the reuptake of monoamines (i.e. norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin) by inhibiting the activity of their transporters, allowing them to accumulate in the synaptic cleft between neurons in various brain regions.
Decreasing the expression of dopamine transporters at the cell surface, which has the same effect as listed above.
Increasing cytosolic levels of monoamines by inhibiting the activity of monoamine oxidase (MAO)
Increasing the activity and expression of the dopamine-synthesizing enzyme tyrosine hydroxylase (TH)
In addition to releasing potent amounts of monoamines, MA has a high lipid solubility which leads to a relatively fast transfer of the drug across the blood-brain barrier and a quick onset in comparison to other stimulants.[16] All of this results in feelings of reward, euphoria, and stimulation as well as an unpleasant offset."

If MDMA causes few weeks of depression I wouldn't bother doing meth then and especially fiendishly redosing meth.

Well IMO meth is more neurotoxic than MDMA.

As from Psychonautwiki:
"Methamphetamine primarily affects the central nervous system (CNS) by acting as a releasing agent for neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. It also acts as a reuptake inhibitor, increasing levels of monoamines by forcing the neurotransmitters out of their storage vesicles and expelling them into the synaptic gap by making the dopamine transporters work in reverse.[15] Other mechanisms by which methamphetamine are known to increase monoamine levels are by:

Blocking the reuptake of monoamines (i.e. norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin) by inhibiting the activity of their transporters, allowing them to accumulate in the synaptic cleft between neurons in various brain regions.
Decreasing the expression of dopamine transporters at the cell surface, which has the same effect as listed above.
Increasing cytosolic levels of monoamines by inhibiting the activity of monoamine oxidase (MAO)
Increasing the activity and expression of the dopamine-synthesizing enzyme tyrosine hydroxylase (TH)
In addition to releasing potent amounts of monoamines, MA has a high lipid solubility which leads to a relatively fast transfer of the drug across the blood-brain barrier and a quick onset in comparison to other stimulants.[16] All of this results in feelings of reward, euphoria, and stimulation as well as an unpleasant offset."

If MDMA causes few weeks of depression I wouldn't bother doing meth then and especially fiendishly redosing meth.

Interesting, thank you. I found this just now which is confusing. https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/665ihv/mdma_is_more_neurotoxic_than_meth/

Someone seems to bring up the argument that meth affects your dopamine receptors more - and mdma affects your serotonin receptors more.

Yeah meth does affect more dopamine then serotonine receptors but it still considerably affects serotonine too.

I am actually just now trying to find some numbers for that as I have seen them somewhere over the Internet...

Edit:
Again from psychonautwiki:
"Unlike amphetamine, methamphetamine is directly neurotoxic to dopamine neurons.[17] Moreover, methamphetamine abuse is associated with an increased risk of Parkinson's disease due to excessive pre-synaptic dopamine autoxidation, a mechanism of neurotoxicity.[18][19][20][21] Similar to the neurotoxic effects on the dopamine system, methamphetamine can also result in neurotoxicity to serotonin neurons.[22] It has been demonstrated that a high core temperature is correlated with an increase in the neurotoxic effects of methamphetamine.[23] As a result of methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity to dopamine neurons, chronic use may also lead to post acute withdrawals which persist beyond the withdrawal period for months, and even up to a year.[24]"