• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Meth Helps “Ferry” Other Substances Across BBB

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Found an interesting article that I think explains why my touted 1-2mg of d-meth added to a normal MDMA experience greatly enhances the effects while still being very roll like in nature.

In this article it was seen in rats also being given chemotherapy drugs, which made them more effective.

So I’m assuming this same could apply to psychoactive drugs as well?

-GC

1-2 mg of meth is going to get nowhere near the 1 micro molar concentration they used in the study.

This could work, but I think you would end up extremely high on meth.

Also most drugs are good at crossing the bbb. Zwittwrions like gabapentin need help (amino acid transporters), but I could see this technology opening to door for more diverse psycho active compounds.

This paper looks like meth causes general permeability to the blood brain barrier as well, which could be a fairly negative thing.

1-2 mg of meth is going to get nowhere near the 1 micro molar concentration they used in the study.

This could work, but I think you would end up extremely high on meth.

Also most drugs are good at crossing the bbb. Zwittwrions like gabapentin need help (amino acid transporters), but I could see this technology opening to door for more diverse psycho active compounds.

This paper looks like meth causes general permeability to the blood brain barrier as well, which could be a fairly negative thing.

Yea the general permeability is what I find interesting and while it can let not so great things over, it can also make it easier for the things we want over too.

I know fish oil/omega 3’s strengthen the BBB and I also notice in general most drugs feel a tad bit weaker when freshly consuming fish oil.

I guess the worry would be, when talking MDMA, the HMA and HMMA metabolites that have a hard time crossing the BBB could theoretically get over easier. Is that what your thinking?

-GC

Don't we have every reason to think that a much more obvious conclusion to take from this would be that the increase in systemic function stimulated by the methamphetamine led to the increased absorption of the target molecule?

I mean, I'm all in favor of the increased study of this general idea, but my thoughts so far have leaned toward different acid-addition salts of a molecule that already crosses the BBB on its own. Maybe the thought of transport-assistance from a different molecule isn't all that bad of a idea, now that I think of it...

Don't we have every reason to think that a much more obvious conclusion to take from this would be that the increase in systemic function stimulated by the methamphetamine led to the increased absorption of the target molecule?

I mean, I'm all in favor of the increased study of this general idea, but my thoughts so far have leaned toward different acid-addition salts of a molecule that already crosses the BBB on its own. Maybe the thought of transport-assistance from a different molecule isn't all that bad of a idea, now that I think of it...
Not really, figure 1 in that paper shows an electron micrograph of the blood brain barrier before and after meth. There are visible invaginations when exposed to meth. This supports the hypothesis from the paper (you have to click a few links but it is open access on biorxiv).

Replying to @G_Chem

I was thinking of the possibility of compounds totally alien from known drugs because they lack the proper kinetics. Like flavinoids or something like that which would be a fine ligand once at the neuron wouldn't have a chance in hell getting there normally.