View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mescaline seems too simple.

p.h.blain

Greenlighter
So i've stumbled upon this schematic of mescaline biosynthesis.
Apparently in plants, it starts from Tyramine, and OH groups are added, to form in turn Dopamine then Carbons pop in and form mescaline.

My intuition tells me, you'd only have to get tyramine, and plunge it into carbonic acid HCO3, and hope for a good mix of dopamine, mescaline and anhalamine.

But it would be way too simple that way... can anyone tell me why that wouldn't work ?

But it would be way too simple that way... can anyone tell me why that wouldn't work ?

Because carbonic acid isn't a strong enough oxidising agent nor does it actually contribute a carbon source, it just decomposes to water and CO2.

There's a series of plant enzymes that do the transformation of tyramine to mescaline.

So it would be best to map the DNA of peyote to see which regions encode for these enzymes, then splice those genes into the DNA of some innocuous yeast or bacteria like organism, feed those bacteria tyramine and make a big sludge of them in a bioreactor. In other words, genetically engineer a simple and proliferate lifeform to contain that bit of peyote cactus that primarily makes them psychedelic.

Much mesc. So gud. Wow.

So it would be best to map the DNA of peyote to see which regions encode for these enzymes, then splice those genes into the DNA of some innocuous yeast or bacteria like organism, feed those bacteria tyramine and make a big sludge of them in a bioreactor. In other words, genetically engineer a simple and proliferate lifeform to contain that bit of peyote cactus that primarily makes them psychedelic.

Much mesc. So gud. Wow.

ORRRRRR...you could get something that already knows how to do all that cool shit...Hmmmmm???...where could one find something like that ?

OOOOH...OOOOH... I KNOW! I KNOW!...A PEYOTE CACTUS...WOOO HOOO!!!

Spongebob can be such a phucking smartass sometimes.

Last edited:
ORRRRRR...you could get something that already knows how to do all that cool shit...Hmmmmm???...where could one find something like that ?

OOOOH...OOOOH... I KNOW! I KNOW!...A PEYOTE CACTUS...WOOO HOOO!!!

Spongebob can be such a phucking smartass sometimes.

Peyote also takes years and years and years to grow...

What has been proposed could churn out lots in a short amount of time, if it worked. I know nothing of biochemistry, though.

Last edited:
No that wouldn't work. Sounds like you don't now enough about chemistry. Here's a relatively easy synthesis for mescaline (for mescaline at least)
[no synthesis allowed]

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be possible to isolate the enzymes used to make mescaline, but there's a bunch of them and you would probably need far too many other unrelated chemicals to make the enzymes work. But it's possible, at least on paper.