• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

mescaline/peyote and SSRIs -- reduced effects?

Negro-kitty

Bluelighter
I am curious as to whether anyone has used peyote/mescaline while taking an SSRI, and if they found that any aspects of the high (particularily visual aspects) were reduced.

The SSRI in question is zoloft, 150 mg/day. Should the zoloft be stopped for a few days before imbibing the cactus, or is this not necessary? Or would reducing the zoloft dose be adequate?

i'd also like to know if mushrooms would have a reduced effect if taking an SSRI at the current time. the SSRI taken is lexapro. thanks. oh yeah...another question..haha. does anyone know how dangerous doing DXM while on an SSRI would be? i know there's a strong chance of serious illnes/death if taken with an MAOI. but...i've heard mixed opinions regarding SSRI's.

Although I have no experience with this combo myself, Ive read a few trip reports on erowid where an SSIR reduced the effects of a mescaline trip, I cant seem to find a link though.

SSRIs will probably reduce the effects of any tryptamine or phenethylamine psychedelics that you take while on them. You have to stop taking the SSRI for a while before you take either mushrooms or mescaline. How long depends on the half-life of the SSRI in question. I would recommend waiting at least 2 half-lives.

Do you think that simply increasing the dose (not greatly, but slightly) would overcome the reduction in effects induced by the SSRI?

you would have to at least double or triple your dose of hallucinogen to get the same effect

Back many years ago when I was S.S.R.I.s (paxal and prozac) as well as a tricyclic antipedressant (amitryptaline), I never noted any reduction in the effects of psychedelics.

At the time I was a regular user of LSD, morning glory/baby woodrose seeds, and psilocybin mushrooms. Never used any phenethylamines during those days so I have no comment on that. But again, there sure was no change with potency or nature of trips with indolic psychedelics. At least any that I noticed.

FOAF has greatly reduced effects from phenethylamines on SSRIs, reduced (but not as much) from tryptamines. look up your SSRI's half life and skip a few days to let it clear from your system if that is a concern.

morninggloryseed said:
Back many years ago when I was S.S.R.I.s (paxal and prozac) as well as a tricyclic antipedressant (amitryptaline), I never noted any reduction in the effects of psychedelics.

At the time I was a regular user of LSD, morning glory/baby woodrose seeds, and psilocybin mushrooms. Never used any phenethylamines during those days so I have no comment on that. But again, there sure was no change with potency or nature of trips with indolic psychedelics. At least any that I noticed.

Well, tri- and heterocyclic antidepressants tend to intensify psychedelics because they increase endogenous catecholamine levels. Thus, I would have to say that the amitryptaline and the SSRI's offset each other, thus causing only a negligible change in your personal effective dose.

Please, please don't stop taking your SSRIs, even if for just a few days. Withdrawal sets in pretty quickly, and it's a bitch and a half.

Mescaline actually works on norepinephrine, as opposed to serotonin, which SSRIs do not effect (at least as much). I took mescaline precisely for that reason, and I had a fantastic trip that seemed to be just as intense as my friends who weren't on meds.

Have fun, but *please* don't stop taking SSRIs cold turkey!

Sorry for bumping old thread, but new info. Yesterday I ate 4 peyote buttons in mexico while on 250 mg tramadol and 6 mg clonazepam. I feel the effects may have been reduced, but it was stilll stong and I still had an amazing mental trip.

Much euphoria even I was in a very positive mood even though I had to spend the night 4 hrs sleep in cold mountains and walked 12 hrs straight in chuck taylor shoes. I had a loving gentle trip, I waited 11 years for this experience and it was totally worth it. I feel I have joined my ancestors in this part of Mexico in a mystical and defining experience.

I left my ofrenda--offering to the first one and didn not cut the first one I saw. Its disrespectful. I left my Huichol peyote bracelet and a letter to the peyote. Amazing day. Best day in 2 years, I feel cleansed and peaceful and its the day after.

you would have to at least double or triple your dose of hallucinogen to get the same effect

This isn't necessarily true.

People seem to have different results from these combinations. I know a great many people who say it hasn't significantly affected their dosing. Others say a slight increase... say 1.5xdose, is sufficient to get them where they want to be. For some it might be double the dose, and for some it might mute some effects while leaving others untouched--eg taking away euphoria or wonder, but leaving the visuals.

I was left with a mental trip, but for me mescaline is always more mental and physical than seeing shit. I was super euphoric but also on weed, k pin, tramadol.
Shrooms give me visuals, mescaline not so much.

i had two beers at ten o clock pm, roughly 8 hours after dosing. A 2mg k'pin at 5 pm and a torta at 9 p.m. It was a lot of drugs, but the peyote was felt all day and the combo was extremely euphoric. Would not recommend mixing drugs like that to most people, but it worked well for me. This was all going on while my primo and i walked in the desert for 15 hours. The ants werent even out, it was so hot. Mexican keyboard equals bad punctuation, sorry. It was a perfect day, my best trip ever.

Please, please don't stop taking your SSRIs, even if for just a few days. Withdrawal sets in pretty quickly, and it's a bitch and a half.

Mescaline actually works on norepinephrine, as opposed to serotonin, which SSRIs do not effect (at least as much). I took mescaline precisely for that reason, and I had a fantastic trip that seemed to be just as intense as my friends who weren't on meds.

Have fun, but *please* don't stop taking SSRIs cold turkey!

Agreed,

Otherwise I think SSRI's highly affect MDMA, possibly MDA and all of their analogues. But i have tripped very hard on various psychs (including shrooms, ket, 2Cx, 4ho's, 5-meo's you get the picture, but never mescaline though i drank a large glass of green gunk but must have prepared it wrongly somehow), granted i do tend to take unually large doses....

So SSRI's may diminish your psych experience a little to not at all, just find your soft spot dose-wise ;)