• Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Mescaline Hcl. / 200mg) - Experienced - "Why Didn't You Plug It In?"

yardbirdrc

Bluelighter
Date: October 11, 2014
Time: 3:00pm-10:00pm
Drug: Mescaline Hydrochloride
Dose: 200mg

Sam had planned and organized an autumn camping trip in West Virginia for ourselves, her brother Kurt, and our friends Dustin and Zack. The cabin itself was very large and full of amenities, certainly far from roughing it. I brought with us ingredients for ham soup, bourbon, some weed jars, a ten-strip of LSD and 4 gel-caps each containing 200mg of synthetic mescaline hydrochloride. Yes, synthetic mescaline hydrochloride - not cactus extract, not some mystery 2C-X I unwittingly bought. This is one substance I certainly never expected to get the chance to try (outside of cactus, that is), but hey I've said that so many times before that I guess I should no longer be surprised. Where there's a demand, there's a supply I suppose.

We woke up Saturday and ate soup for breakfast. Zack and I ventured into Maryland to buy some appropriate shoes. When we returned around 3pm we decided to dose our psychedelics and begin a hike. Sam, Dustin, Kurt and myself all dropped a gel-cap of mescaline each, Zack took 2 tabs of the LSD (by my estimation a strong dose). We started out on our hike around a nearby lake and by about 30 minutes in the mescaline crowd was getting mild alerts. I'm pretty well versed in mescaline, but this being my first time with the synthetic variety I was anxious to see where the experience went. I had dosed 200mg on the assumption that it would be roughly equivalent to my preferred dose of 20g peruvian torch, which I had found through extraction to contain roughly 1% active alkaloids.

We parked ourselves on a bench overlooking the lake. A dog nearby would occasionally bark and the echo would carry through the foggy mountains for what seemed like many miles. As the mescaline began to swell to a plateau around 1hr after drop I realized I had guessed relatively accurately about my dosing. This felt a hell of a lot like 20g of torch at this point in the timeline. There was less nausea, but not none. Sam even had to stop to vomit at one point.

We ventured on around the lake. It took us about 2 hours to completley circumnavigate it, but it felt much longer due to mescaline's uncanny ability to produce time dilation. We stopped at several points along the way to admire the scenery which was becoming more colorful and bucolic by the quarter hour. Standard mescaline effects for me throughout - pleasurable body sensations and tingly rushes of stimulation, visual lushness and popping colors but without the whispy fractals and spatial trickery of LSD, gentle headspace conducive to insight without being too pushy about it, lack of desire and decreased ability to communicate anything in detail. Compared to the cactus it was slightly more even keeled in the body, otherwise completely identical. I was thrilled with this. Venturing past 20g of torch always produced prohibitive GI discomfort for me, but with this stuff... with this stuff it would be very easy to venture towards the fabled 400mg doorway.

As we neared the cabin after our lake hike I stopped at the lodge center to use the restroom. I had no issue communicating with the receptionist while inside, but I did notice increased visual distortion as expected with the change of setting. Nothing overwhelming, just the beginnings of patterning. A sort of latticework of light overlaying everything, undulating and drifting slowly across surfaces. Urination was not particularly disconcerting.

We entered our cabin and the visuals continued to pulse throughout the bright woodgrain. For a while I was too stimulated to be inside, I had to occupy myself with something. Dustin and I played ping-pong in the game room and found that each of us had dramatically improved at both pinging and ponging. We kept volleys going for what seemed like eternities, and when Dustin decided he had had enough I continued to bounce the ball on the paddle throughout the house. The ball was more of a straight white beam extending from the paddle thanks to the tracers going on. This brought back memories of an acid trip Kyle and I had earlier in the year where we kept a balloon afloat for 4 hours, named it, became one with it and mourned its deflation (RIP Blimp C).

The cabin included a VCR and several shelves of VHS tapes. We worked our way through "Extreme Dinosaurs", "Captain Planet" and "Aladdin and the King of Thieves". When I planted myself on the couch with Dustin and Sam my energy level evened out and I was able to focus on the pleasurable physical sensations. I felt warm and fuzzy all over, soon we became a cuddle puddle. It was very hard to follow the films, but I found the colors and sounds amusing at some basic level. To my credit I suspect that "Extreme Dinosaurs" made very little sense to begin with. During "Captain Planet" I moved to the floor to play chess with Kurt. I haven't played chess in years and had no idea what was going on throughout the entirety of the game but somehow managed to checkmate him with 3 pieces. I felt that the mescaline gave me some magical abilities at this point.

Eventually Zack hit a rough patch in his LSD experience, and this momentarily altered the tone of the evening. We all hugged, and those of us who were on mescaline attempted to offer him calming advice and tended to any needs that he had. All of us being relatively experienced psychonauts we had all been in Zack's position at one point or another, and we did our best to assure him that with time his feelings of discomfort would pass. He suggested that maybe he needed some air, and of course we heeded this request. Myself, Kurt and Zack struck out towards the lake in search of a vending machine we had passed earlier that day - Sam and Dustin stayed behind to continue drawing in a sketchbook. It was unbelievably dark outside, and it was a relatively overcast evening so there wasn't much help from the moon and barely any stars were visible. I felt this was mildly foreboding, but I was familiar enough with mescaline at this point that I was easily able to suppress these emotions and let them pass. Though the details of the conversation escape me, I remember that both Kurt and myself were largely speaking in reassurance to Zack on the way to the vending machine. We arrived at the boathouse to find the vending machine was unplugged. As we turned back towards the cabin, Zack appeared to come to some sort of realization.

"So... we're not going to die."

"No. Well, at least probably not tonight.", said Kurt.

Zack went on to explain that for some reason he had felt an overwhelming sense that something bad was going to happen to all of us, but that the feeling had largely passed. I encouraged him to explore the basis of these feelings. Zack is relatively inexperienced with psychedelics, and is still largely in the discovery phase with them. By this I mean that his motivations for taking LSD that day were likely rooted in wanderlust for interesting experiences. There is certainly nothing wrong with this mentality - it's the mentality that, I'm sure for most of us anyway, begins our work with these tools. However, there comes a point where the power and utility of the substances and the experiences that they produce becomes readily apparent. There comes a time where "interesting experience" intersects with unexplored psychology. That time is often uncomfortable, but if you can move through it you can harness the ability of the psychedelic experience to gain new perspective and reach new levels of peace and insight with troubling past experiences or uncertain futures. I sensed that this trip would be critical for Zack in that sense, and spoke at length about how what he was experiencing is exactly why I do these drugs personally. I told him that if he felt uncomfortable it was probably coming from somewhere within, and that he should dig into that as much as he can while the drug is in his system with the goal of pulling it up by the roots.

We returned to the cabin and continued our various pursuits - playing games, talking, drawing, etc.

"Did you find the vending machine? Where's the soda?"

"We found it, but it was unplugged."

"Why didn't you plug it in?"

I had no answer for this.

As Zack came out of the extremely unnerving portion of the experience he eventually shared that the anxieties he experienced were likely rooted in recent familial issues he had been dealing with. I was happy that he had unburdened himself in that way, and he seemed relieved as well. However, he expressed disinterest in taking LSD in the future.

As the psychedelics began to die down we began drinking wine, and finished our evening in this way. It's worth noting that this was the first psychedelic experience I had had in a couple of years that didn't require the eventual use of some kind of anxiolytic. Since I first had run-ins with panic attacks and general anxiety in 2012 I've found that psychedelic experiences can often become overwhelmingly anxious for me at their peaks. While the anxiety has long since subsided in normal life, I usually pop an etizolam somewhere after the 4 hour mark with LSD and its ilk. I chalked this up to mescaline being a very forgiving substance, and to the progress I've made in finding stability and happiness in my life since then. All in all it was a lovely day.

Awesome report, man! It's always wonderful to see friends/experienced psychonauts help those that are naive when it comes to the realms. So many other drugs usually inspire mocking/inciting of fear in those around you that are having a rough time with the experience, but I'm glad it wasn't the case for Zack.
Kudos on you, I'm glad you had a good experience, friend! :D

"We found it, but it was unplugged."

"Why didn't you plug it in?"

I had no answer for this.

This reminded me of a similar experience I had recently. While tripping on mescaline last weekend, I forgot to do something that was obvious to my wife. I was thinking about how this type of interaction (like when you forget to do something that might appear obvious) would have been different if we were sober. It seemed very plausible that neither of us would have thought of it, or maybe we both would have, or maybe I would have thought of it and she wouldn't have...after thinking about this for a while it started throwing me for a loop and I just forgot about it. After I sobered up it made me think about how much did the drugs really affect our decision making, or if it would have been the same sober. Don't know if that all makes sense lol, but great report as always yardbird :)