• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Menthol "Gold"

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
Chemicalize (the html "Marvin Beans") has a huge repository of "known" compounds. This one piqued my interest, but due to the simple name, you get a lot of false hits on a search engine looking for it and what it was made for. Anyone know the purpose for this compound?

IUPAC: (1R,3R,4S)-3-hydroxy-1-methyl-4-(propan-2-yl)cyclohexyl]gold, SMILES: CC(C)[C@@H]1CC[C@@](C)([Au])C[C@H]1O

qih0Q.jpg

A Gold (I) compound - something with so many shells won't be very stable. The chiral centres suggest a drug so I'm going to guess and old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. That said, it could be an intermediate to a gold (II) complex. I have to hand it to you - looking for gold compounds. FYI most heavy metal tests don't show gold so it can be an insidious poison...... I think I'm going to plump for intermediate.

Rich man's mouth freshener?

My guess would be someone who smoked Marlboro Menthol Golds asked a chemist somewhere to get him some, and he took it too far.

A Gold (I) compound - something with so many shells won't be very stable. The chiral centres suggest a drug so I'm going to guess and old treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. That said, it could be an intermediate to a gold (II) complex. I have to hand it to you - looking for gold compounds. FYI most heavy metal tests don't show gold so it can be an insidious poison...... I think I'm going to plump for intermediate.

Well, I wasn't actually looking for a gold compound, this one just showed up as I was typing the beginning of another chemical name/word in, and it showed that and it piqued my interest.