View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

mental illness and DMT?

Knockout666

Bluelighter
I had a beautiful first trip but had a psychotic episode some time after and it looks like I may be bipolar. Anyway- im curious to hear about other peoples experience with DMT (that also have a mental illness)

It had triggered BPD (borderline personality disorder) for me after the first good dose (60mg smoked). I was not sure who I am anymore, lost sense of connection to daily common sense, serious mood swings, delusions of grandeur. I suppose I've always had BPD but never thought to work on these issues in any ways.

But now, in retrospect, I think it brought it up for my resolution. That DMT trip let me look at my issues magnified and analyze myself clearly and super-efficiently, probably for the first time in my life. Many years, psychotherapists and dozens of grams of different psychoactives later, I no longer suffer from my BPD. I have learned to accept myself and the reality that is present for me as it is, without fighting it. ;)

I have ADD and ASD but DMT never exacerbated those... I guess these disorders aren't necessarily so derealization nor depersonalization sensitive.

Actually while people with ASD can still become psychotic, it's also considered to often be like doing brain exercises all day long (and may thus prevent early mental degeneration), and I am the type to analyze things a lot and it makes sense this is in part what has helped me to be resilient to insane trips like those from DMT... I think it may help me to avoid getting too lost acutely. Then again after a really mystical mushroom trip I did go through some kind of existential crisis of having to redefine pretty much all my motivations in life consciously and it took me years.

I truly wonder how many people with so-diagnosed personality disorders are actually having some sort of existential crisis that they aren't as able to come out of.

Last edited: