Mental Health Mental health testing uk

Jaykay222

Greenlighter
What is the best way to diagnose a mental health condition? If there is a way of course..

iv iv suffered depression quite some time tried a few ssri's and I don't like them iv been off anti depressants for over a year but am going to see my doc and ask to go on something for my depression not a ssri tho maybe something like mitrazipine not sure...

im sure I have something other then depression but it's yet to be diagnosed...

have had had anxiety as well for years I self medicated with alcohol weed or valium but I'm looking to get something of the doc for it it's gotten worse recently with my hiv diagnoses

anyone know now what docs likely to throw at me.

in my experience of the NHS, you will enter the room of the GP, they will ask you stuff like "what can I do for you ?" etc...so you kind of have to explain....Then for depression they will give you a sheet of paper that has approximately 7 questions, and you have to tick one of the 4 possible answers ( strongly disagree, disagree, agree or strongly agree), then they will most likely tell you that you are experiencing moderate-severe symptoms of depression.

The next part is where they do stuff differently for everyone. The GP may very well decide to just give you antidepressants, usually an SSRI...but usually they tell you to do cognitive behavioural therapy first.

In my opinion, the best way to obtain a correct diagnosis is undergo 2-3 different psychiatric evaluations. If the psychiatrists are really good in their respective field, you are likely to obtain a valid diagnosis.

Good luck x