• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
boring.jpg

feels like we have been getting less film threads recently. i imagine lots of people have been and are going to be seeing this movie. i found two posts about it in the "last movie you saw" thread. one calls it an "absolutely brilliant film." other says "it's a piece of shit."

i did not like it. kirsten dunst's wedding dress looks good on film. her boobs look nice. there are a few other aesthetically pleasing shots. other than that the movie is long and boring. from the get go. that slow motion intro goes on and on.

there are all these strange details and no-where plot lines that clearly are supposed to mean something. but the movie was not engaging enough to make me care what. i feel like any explanation would be flat. hopefully another bluelighter proves me wrong.

kirsten looks haggard as fuck. she's still captivating as usual.

Last edited:
i love everything of von trier's i've seen, so eagerly looking forward to this one.

Von Trier shouldn't be making movies, he should be drawing pictures. I'm convinced, after Melancholia, that he could have gotten a stale performance out of Heath Ledger if he had directed Dark Knight.

All that aside, goddammit, finding it within myself to hate Melancholia is just as hard as trying to hate Antichrist. I just can't do it. I enjoyed watching it too much.

^ Well, it was pretty easy for me to dislike Antichrist, so I guess I'll see how well this one goes. I'm gonna watch it tomorrow night and see what happens. Trier's films are usually hit-or-miss for me, but I keep comparing everything to Dogville, so I dunno.

I think that this guy is probably a douche who is a clever enough con artist to make me just barely not want to piss all over a pile of his movies. That's worse than being obviously bad.

Well, type in "Lars Von Trier + Nazis" into Google and decide for yourself if he's an idiot or not.

I remember watching that and not necessarily having the typical reaction of being angry with him, but rather feeling sorry for Kirsten Dunst, who was just trying to show up and promote a shitty movie directed by a douche in the hopes that enough people would be tricked by his slow-motion shots to get her some kind of award. You can almost feel her cringe, like, "Why is he talking about this?" It makes no sense that he would take this opportunity to fuck up this totally legitimate fraudulent art flick hustle he has going on by opening up and exposing his contrived life philosophies to the press.

In all honesty I think he was taking the piss. I've read a little bit about it and watched the video of him spewing forth nazi sympathizer rhetoric and I dunno it just strikes me as complete weirdo irony.

He's trying to stir up press. End of story.

Stick the guy in a gas chamber and see how sympathetic he gets. End of story.

But the movie! The movie is actually decent, far better than Antichrist, which I thought was mediocre. Antichrist is in it for shock, this is more focused on depression.

Also, I think the wedding didn't happen. Sheer fantasy on her character's part.

i thought this was a fantastic representation of depression. at first the main character was despicable, but it's all symbolic, the exaggerated opulence, the self-sabotaging, etc, she's cutting herself from the world in a way which reduced the loved ones to just her *edit* two, who were the last to lose her */edit* 4.5/5

I really loved this movie.
At times, yes, it seemed drawn out- but each character was done very well.....the cinematography was well done.
There was ONE scene where I was like HUH? but other than that, I really enjoyed it.
I thought it was a beautiful movie.....but I do have a soft spot for Lars von Trier. :)

I can see how many people wouldn't like it, but I thought it was pretty good for what it was. It wasn't meant to be entertaining, it was an exploration of an idea. Epic finale too ;)

Cheers, Divine Moments, I agree. It's a thinker and one that not only appeals to the depressed but an almost anti film noir type black love film whose heroine's crime is her internal strife.

however, the sister's actions threw me and I secretely hated her, but I absolutely loved the ending and the acting throughout.

I remember watching that and not necessarily having the typical reaction of being angry with him, but rather feeling sorry for Kirsten Dunst, who was just trying to show up and promote a shitty movie directed by a douche in the hopes that enough people would be tricked by his slow-motion shots to get her some kind of award. You can almost feel her cringe, like, "Why is he talking about this?" It makes no sense that he would take this opportunity to fuck up this totally legitimate fraudulent art flick hustle he has going on by opening up and exposing his contrived life philosophies to the press.

Haha, I had the exact same reaction. I also like your critique on him just fucking up this sweet racket he's got going on... =D

does anyone know why it went straight to DVD? I didn't even see a trailer on tv. I rented it on iTunes a few weeks before it was to be released.

misleading movie from the start, but very interesting piece of work. I loved it.