• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meth Mediport and IV use

ztevoka

Bluelighter
Does anyone now if you can IV drugs into a mediport? I know a PICC line would work but I am not familiar with the mediport. I gave up the needle a while ago because my veins are very damaged and it's hard to hit anything so have been smoking meth daily instead. I'm having a mediport put in for chemo and it seems like a missed opportunity having a direct port to a good vein and not taking advantage of it. Anyone with medical knowledge know of any reason this is a bad idea? Besides the obvious bad idea of crystal meth use with cancer while undergoing chemo - I'm already aware that as a whole it's overall not a great idea, just looking for specific thoughts about the mediport.

Does anyone now if you can IV drugs into a mediport? I know a PICC line would work but I am not familiar with the mediport. I gave up the needle a while ago because my veins are very damaged and it's hard to hit anything so have been smoking meth daily instead. I'm having a mediport put in for chemo and it seems like a missed opportunity having a direct port to a good vein and not taking advantage of it. Anyone with medical knowledge know of any reason this is a bad idea? Besides the obvious bad idea of crystal meth use with cancer while undergoing chemo - I'm already aware that as a whole it's overall not a great idea, just looking for specific thoughts about the mediport.
I know it's tempting and a safe alternative to your veins but don't do it. You are gonna get busted and called out on it.

Every single time before you get an IV infusion of chemo they flush your line with saline and they also " pull back " on the suction to make sure they see fresh blood. That ensures that the chemo will be delivered successfully. They do the same thing when you get an infusion of any liquid be it platelets, hemoglobin, potassium, whatever med is needed. The line is also attached to a vein right next to your heart. When they surgically implanted the port .....that's the vein they use.

Even if you can flush your own port and think you did a god job I think that residue will remain and the nurses are gonna be pissed. They will tell your Dr. and it may interfere with your treatment. It just isn't worth it. Your chemo is more important than the meth. Just continue to use whatever route you need to but don't use the port please. Also....if the port gets infected and that line is so near your heart it might be catastrophic for you.

Stay safe and I hope you beat the cancer.

I know it's tempting and a safe alternative to your veins but don't do it. You are gonna get busted and called out on it.

Every single time before you get an IV infusion of chemo they flush your line with saline and they also " pull back " on the suction to make sure they see fresh blood. That ensures that the chemo will be delivered successfully. They do the same thing when you get an infusion of any liquid be it platelets, hemoglobin, potassium, whatever med is needed. The line is also attached to a vein right next to your heart. When they surgically implanted the port .....that's the vein they use.

Even if you can flush your own port and think you did a god job I think that residue will remain and the nurses are gonna be pissed. They will tell your Dr. and it may interfere with your treatment. It just isn't worth it. Your chemo is more important than the meth. Just continue to use whatever route you need to but don't use the port please. Also....if the port gets infected and that line is so near your heart it might be catastrophic for you.

Stay safe and I hope you beat the cancer.
Thank you this is exactly what I wanted to know- I knew it sounded like a bad idea! Tempting tho...

Glad to hear you're being sensible. It's really not a good idea, never mind that you'd also definitely get caught out on it. I used my PICC line to inject during a hospital stay once, of course got found out and the result was not even being allowed to the bathroom unsupervised.

I heard about someone that also got caught and was ejected from the hospital.

Glad to hear you're being sensible. It's really not a good idea, never mind that you'd also definitely get caught out on it. I used my PICC line to inject during a hospital stay once, of course got found out and the result was not even being allowed to the bathroom unsupervised.
That reminds me of a story my mom told me about a fellow nurse she worked with at the hospital who got fired because she put a PICC line in her own ankle and whenever she was supposed to be wasting meds like dilaudid she'd inject it into her own PICC line instead. I could never have that kind of a job- like being a pharmacist or something too much temptation for me!

That reminds me of a story my mom told me about a fellow nurse she worked with at the hospital who got fired because she put a PICC line in her own ankle and whenever she was supposed to be wasting meds like dilaudid she'd inject it into her own PICC line instead. I could never have that kind of a job- like being a pharmacist or something too much temptation for me!
Back in the old days, the largest percentage of morphine addicts were to be found among pharmacists and the general medical profession. Is anyone surprised -? ;)